Will IOC get rid of golf or other sports and add futsal or beach soccer in 2020?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by italiancbr, Jul 12, 2016.

1. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    It's pretty obvious that adding golf to the Olympics was a mistake. Rio had to create an expensive course when they already had the facilities in place for futsal and beach soccer. Now most top players on the men's side are skipping the tournament which makes it lose credibility.

I can see beach soccer added to the Summer Olympics in the future but I think futsal would be a good fit for the Winter Olympics since they need to broaden the appeal of those games. That way both can be alternated with a FIFA tournament every two years.

Does anyone know which one is more popular around the world?

2. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would imagine Futsal, but I don't know for sure.

I have thought about this for a while, although I assumed Futsal would join the summer Games if it was admitted.

I have never heard FIFA press for their admission though.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't watch futsal or beach soccer. I could see there being many countries where the Summer Olympic team sport they care the most about is Men's Soccer but where they would care more about Men's Basketball than futsal or beach soccer.

4. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Most sports in the Olympics aren't watched very often either, if at all, outside of the Games. That even includes the major Olympic sports like track and field, swimming & diving, and gymnastics. And forget about archery, table tennis, badminton, shooting, wrestling, etc. But I still like watching those sports; in a way that's the appeal of the Olympics. You see athletes that toil in obscurity with a chance for glory every four years. In that respect futsal and beach soccer fit the mold of what the Olympics were about before professionals were allowed to compete. Sports like tennis and golf have tournaments that are valued more highly than an Olympic gold medal which sort of cheapens the competition. An NBA title is also seen as more prestigious than a gold medal. At least the men's soccer competition is still a youth tournament even if the players are professionals, so it doesn't pretend to compete with the World Cup.

I read an article that FIFA lobbied for both futsal and beach soccer to be included and the Rio organizing committee wanted beach soccer instead of golf but the Olympic committee picked golf hoping to get the top players to play which won't be happening. FIFA will be hosting the Futsal World Cup a few weeks after the Olympics and hopefully most games will be televised but it would be nice to see both versions of the sport in the Olympics every four years with a FIFA tournament in between. Before that happens FIFA probably has to invest in it more and start hosting tournaments for women. I can't even find FIFA rankings for futsal and soccer even though they hold World Cups for both sports.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I got somewhat into Beach Soccer when Dubai hosted the World Cup in 2009.

Of course Switzerland making the final helped... :D

6. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I watched last year's Beach Soccer World Cup when Tahiti came in second place. In an Olympic setting I'd be willing to bet the farm there would be more spectators for beach soccer and futsal than the indoor and outdoor volleyball competitions. Even the people who complain that there's too much running around and not enough scoring in soccer couldn't complain about that in these versions of soccer.

7. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Indeed!

The Futsal Women's World Cup isn't organized by FIFA, and has just 8 teams.

Neither FIFA or the continental confederations host women's beach soccer tournaments. There's also no women's tournament at the Asian Beach Games, European Games or South American Beach Games.

8. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The IOC have announced the 5 sports to be added to the Tokyo 2020 programme.

• Baseball/Softball
    • Karate
    • Surfing
    • Skateboarding
    • Sports climbing

9. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I had read that they didn't want to increase the number of athletes so they weren't going to add any sports without eliminating other sports. So that's kind of surprising since this will add almost 500 athletes to the 2020 games. But I agree that FIFA should organize a women's tournament for beach soccer and futsal. I just think they're waiting for the sports to grow on the women's side. The FIFA Women's World Cup wasn't held until 1991.

I'd rather see futsal and beach soccer replace the current U23 tournament in the Olympics but I know that would never happen. If they're going to have a proper U23 tournament then FIFA should just run it without any overage players like they do with the U17 and U20 tournaments. The Olympics would be a better place for beach soccer and futsal to get more attention since they 're much more obscure.

10. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Crowds for non-South American matches at Rio have been terrible.

Television is another history, I guess.

11. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1992 was a purely under 23 competition, but after that the IOC asked for the inclusion of more high profile players and so the exception was introduced in 1996, not for the preliminary competition though.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    A good way to add sports without increasing the # of athletes is to eliminate team events for sports which are not team sports under any stretch of the imagination. Some examples include swimming relay races, team gymnastics and synchronized diving.

There is no teamwork in these competitions, its just an accumulation of individual scores to arrive at an overall team score. They require no skills or training beyond what is required for the equivalent individual event. Furthermore, such team events cause the athlete count to increase quickly and mostly for big countries which already have a lot of athletes.

13. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    If you remove relay races and team gymnastics, the number of competitors won't decrease. They also compete individually.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, maybe it wouldn't reduce the # of athletes as much as I think. But I think it would decrease the # of athletes somewhat. I mean, would there really be 5 women and 5 men for just one country competing individually in gymnastics if the team competition didn't consist of groups of 5? Especially for the weaker countries?

Even if made-up team events like swimming medley relay, team gymnastic, etc. need to stay because they generate revenue, surely the teams could be made smaller. That's the good thing about a made-up team event: the teams could be as large or small as thet IOC wants them to be. Its not like field hockey where you need a certain number of players to play the game properly.

That's why I like Track & Field. There are no made-up events (not off the top of my head, at least). There's no team decathlon. And we don't see Usain Bolt run a 100m final 3 times like we did with Simone Biles' floor exercise. He does it once, that's it!

15. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Strictly from a soccer point of view, they could eliminate the Olympic soccer tournament and add both futsal and beach soccer and the numbers of athletes would roughly stay the same since both those sports are five-a-side. And I'd assume they'd also need half the subs. If there's an U23 tournament it should be held by FIFA. But other than the Opening Ceremony, I've lost a lot of interest in the Olympics. People talk about the corruption surrounding FIFA but at least interest in the World Cup and soccer in general isn't diminishing. The IOC has much bigger problems in trying to keep people interested in the Olympics.

16. Imota Morlak

Imota Morlak New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    I watch any kind of football - regular football, futsals, amatures, professionals.
    Futsal is a great fit for the Olympics. It's hugely popular in some parts of the world. In Croatia, for example, you may see a few thousand people attending futsal matches. So, yes, we need more futsal featuring both men and women.

17. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this: they lengthen the Summer Olympics by a full week, and add the sports already mentioned for 2020 plus futsal and beach soccer. It doesn't hurt to lengthen the celebration, and could actually help the host country to get a lot more revenue ticket-wise, viewership-wise, and tourist-wise and without adding much more cost as once you already build a stadium, it's built. It doesn't matter if it is for a two or three-week period, the cost won't be much different.

18. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are a lot of sport disciplines that are worth beeing olympic, e.g. fin swimming. But they are too spectacular and would lower the revenue of the other "old" disciplines, that's why they have no real chance to make it. Futsal is more or less only played in a handful of countries - that's not enough in my eyes but the futsal itself is really fascinating

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the teams got smaller, some countries could have enough good athletes that they would want to enter two teams (which I think happens with luge and/or bobsled in the Winter Olympics). If swimming relays were reduced from 4 to 2, the United States would probably want to enter multiple teams. From the point of view of the athletes, the more players per team, the more medals the athletes get (counting team medals once per player on the team). As for gymnastics, if Biles (and the other gymnasts) did each event once, the same person doing the same event would count toward multiple medals (one team and one individual). In general, I would expect gold medal winners to be happy even if they have previously had more points, faster times, or whatever the sport goes by. If the same gymnastics performance counted towards individual and team medals, a gymnast could win a gold medal but still be disappointed because his or her team could have won a better medal with a better individual performance. Track and Field does have relays, and I don't know how many runners (if any) run the same distance as part of an individual event and a relay. Another cause of repetition is that a track or pool only has a certain number of lanes, and there are heats to eliminate athletes or teams until you get down to few enough athletes or teams to fit on the track or in the pool together. This isn't a problem with gymnastics. The more gymnasts, the longer the competition takes, but gymnastics does not have athletes racing on an event simultaneously.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Relays in Track and Field require teamwork and new skills that running the 100m individually doesn't require (i.e. the baton exchange, running around corners, etc.). With the swimming relays there is no teamwork. It's just adding together the individual times. It literally requires zero extra training to prepare for a swimming relay (beyond the training required for the individual race of the same distance). Same for gymnastics, synchronized diving and a few others.

So personally I don't have much problem with the T&F relays because they are fundamentally different than the individual "equivalent" event.

That said, the Track & Field relays do increase the # of athletes since the maximum # of qualifiers that any one country can have for a single event is three. But of course you need 4 for the relays. So there's at least 1 runner for each country that's part of the relay team who didn't qualify for the individual event of the same distance.

21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #21 zahzah, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

Sports climbing? Terrible choice. Surfing is a tricky one, but fits in nicely. Albeit Tokio itself has no surfing beaches.

Nice to see Karate. Especially awkward not to have this event, while Taekwondo and Judo are represented. Obviously in a move to increase Japan's medal count (and Egypt's as well).

Baseball / Softball is probably a nod to the Japanese as they are pretty strong at least in the female version. Still... by comparison I think beach soccer or futsal would draw in much larger crowds.

22. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Futsal is not played in a handful of countries. Its pretty popular across Europe and America. Plus its gaining ground in Asia. Very good attendance rates.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  23. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In Europe we have Hallenfußball but I doubt it's the same sport as Futsal. There was actually a Futsal EC, never ever read a single piece about it, though.

edit: it is all Spain in European futsal, 7th title .. won the final 7-3 vs Russia and very low attendance, unfortunately.

24. coolwid

coolwid New Member

May 9, 2016
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    LOL. 3 out of 5 are not even sports. IOC is turning into a big joke year after year.

I don't think baseball will ever work in the Olympics unless MLB players are in it. Btw Japan is strong in men's baseball too.

25. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    There's concerns of the Summer Olympics being excessively expensive.
    How about splitting them into Outdoor Games and Indoor Games?

Outdoor Games: outdoor athletics, triathlon, road cycling, mountain biking, open waters swimming, kayaking, rowing, sailing, football, rugby, tennis, golf, beach volley, beach soccer, field hockey, equestrian, archery, surfing, stkateboarding, climbing.

Indoor Games: indoor athletics, gymnastics, pool swimming, diving, futsal, indoor volleyball, ping pong, weightlifting, boxing, karate, judo, taekwondo, fencing, shooting, wrestling.