Will Howard start for US.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bigfranz, Sep 3, 2004.

1. bigfranz

bigfranz New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    philly
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=5825

================================================

Got this off Tommy Smyths chat. Did anyone else hear that Howard will be the starter.Great answer to the english guy. No matter what you have to love the way Tommy pulls no punches.

========================================================

Chris (Melba, ID): Hey Tommy! Thanks for answering my question!!! With all the players you've seen in their young years, what do you think of the young Jonathan Spector and his prospects? Is he a stay at Man U or just a short term replacement?

Tommy Smyth: I think Spector is on the Man. United squad to stay, He had a very good year in Man. U's reserves which saw him elevated on to the first team. I am not sure he is going to play every game or 90 minutes of every game, but I think he will be on Manchester United for a long time to come.
    ===========================================================
    Lawrence(Houston, TX): Tommy great to have you back! Is there a future for Kasey Keller in the EPL or will we see him in the MSL next year?

Tommy Smyth: I think Kasey Keller has shown already that he has had good form this year. I can't see him out of a job but I don't think he will be a starter. In fact, I have a feeling that with Bruce Arena calling Howard into the National team that Howard will get the start against El Salvador. But to answer your question, I see Keller staying in England.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brahma (Manchester, UK): What do you think of these americans who reckon the USA are gonna win the WC by 2006 or 2010? they dont have one wc player and freddy adu, it remains to be seen what he'll become. Dream on USA i say!

Tommy Smyth: I don't think it is bad to have a dream. Who can blame you for shooting for the stars? I am not so sure that there are many Americans who really think this way. You have to say that te US did well in the last World Cup and but for a very dicey call against Germany, who knows what would have happened. I mean they were much longer in Asia that the supposed world-class team you support. I think if you look at the Olympics and see how talented the Americans are in most sports, it is not such a far-fetched idea to think that that can win a World Cup in soccer. I think the only question is when will the sports world in America commit themselves to getting soccer on the same level as other top American sports. Believe me, they have the resources and I may be wrong but I think that they also have the talent, much of it up until now untapped. It may be a dream but what is wrong wth dreaming?