will cristiano ronaldo beat Ali Daie's international goals record?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by persianfootball, Sep 2, 2017.

1. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    #1 persianfootball, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Ali Daie: 109 goals in 149 caps
    cristiano ronaldo: 78 goals in 144 caps

both of these players are similar in that they stat-padded against weak opposition, but they also scored against stronger teams. also, both of them scored many headers, although i would say Ali Daie's headers were more impressive. they were also similar in that they hardly missed penalties.

cronaldo is 32, but he is a strong athlete, and i dont see any replacements for him in the portuguese national team, so he will continue starting every game until after euro 2020. even then, he might take part in WC2022 qualifiers and be taken as a super sub because he is playing for portugal, not spain/germany/italy/brazil/argentina so there is less competition in his national team for his spot. so unless he gets a major injury he will probably get another 30-40 caps for portugal. he needs 32 goals to beat daie's record. so i think it is possible. he might also beat ahmed hassan's (egyptian midfielder) most international caps record of 184. we all know how much cronaldo values individual achievements and records, so i think he will actively try to beat these records and they are in the back of his mind.

neymar can also beat the international record if he stays focused until retirement, he also has 52 in 78 and he is only 25.

2. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think he will, without the doubt. Seeing Romario played for Brazil till the age of 35 and scoring goals regularly, i believe he is very capable of scoring that many, espacially because his status in Portugal is at God level and as long as he decides to play he will have a first team status.
    And knowing Ronaldo and his work ethics, he will be competitive till late 30s. At the end of the day, if there was a player made to break that record it is Cristiano Ronaldo. He has discipline and competivness big enough to break it.

There are two games left in this qualifiers, Andorra and Switzerland. You can already count in at least 3 goals from those two matches. he will get 1 or 2 more in friendlies up to WC and this time around i am pretty sure luck will get by his side in WC, so he might score 3, 4 or maybe even more goals that tournament. So in a year time he will have 85 goals at least, perhapse even more than 90.
    He will catch it definitely.

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Well, with the new Nations League it might become harder for him.

As you noted, he has only one goal against a real elite team.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_goals_scored_by_Cristiano_Ronaldo

Respect though for his career and attitude, and playing for Portugal is not easy.

4. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    The fact he hasn't scored much against elite teams is why i think he will definitely score in future against them. In life things balances out and they don't tend to go to extremes. It's called laws of averages. it's an actual concept.
    With that concept i predicted that Ronaldo will score 2 goals in ucl final (shame i didn't actual bet on it) Everybody were like Ronaldo didn't score vs Atletico in last two finals so he won't do it again, but here is the deal, Ronaldo is obviously a quality player and he is capable of scoring goals, so what are the odds for him to be unlucky 3 finals in a row. I wasn't suprised at all when he scored two, especially because i knew Real is superior team.

Having that said, luck will eventually get by his side in big games for Portugal and in WC. 3,4 goals minimum from Ronaldo in WC. mark my words.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Definitely is a pretty strong statement.

His GPG ratio is 0.54. With 31 goals to go, that means he would need 57 games at that ratio. He already has 144 caps and that would put him at an absurd cap number of 200.

However, in the past 3 years it looks like his ratio is actually around 1 GPG. If he keeps that up it would take 31 caps. With an average 10 games per year that's 3 years from now. But even for being in such great shape, keeping a 1 GPG average is a tall order going into mid 30s.

If he keeps it a respectable 0.75 GPG that's like 41 games.

That's all barring any injuries of course.

Neymar has a potential to get up there with already 52 goals in 78 games. His knock is that 35 of those have been in friendlies although that's mostly no fault of his own.

6. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Friendlies in South America are tougher than games vs Latvia, Andorra, Faroe Iceland, Armenia that count in as official.. so that's unneccesary point.

Well He will be part of at least 2 qualifiers after this one. The one for Euro 2020 and the one for WC 2022. That leaves you with 8+ low profile games and Ronaldo smelt blood now, and he will want that record so those are guaranteed 20+ goals. I can't see him not breaking that record, he might play till 40 just to break it.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil don't really ever play friendlies in SA. But it's true most of Neymar's friendlies have been tougher than some of these Euro/WC qualifiers Portugal has played.

I think you're really thinking best case scenario here. It's not a sure thing IMO.

8. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Brazil played 3 friendlies this year, vs Australia, Argentina, Colombia, which is reasonable amount of friendlies. That's definitely tougher than Faroe Island or Andorra. I also recall Neymar scored 4 goals vs Japan in friendly or something,.. however you look at it, they play them and it's tougher

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What I was saying is Brazil don't typically play friendlies in SA itself. The Colombia game was an off game due to the tragedy with Chapecoense and only included domestic players. But yeah, our friendlies are tougher than Faroe Islands and etc ... we seldom have friendlies with teams that weak.

Sexy Beast repped this.
  10. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #10 leadleader, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Concerning the concept of averages balancing themselves out.

1. Ronaldo won the 2008 UCL Final on Penalties, but he failed to score his penalty kick. Ronaldo won the 2016 UCL Final on Penalties, and this time he scored the winning penalty kick. Ronaldo won the 2014 UCL Final after Ramos scored a 90th minute header, which forced the game into extra-time. Ronaldo won the 2016 Euro Final without even playing in it. Ronaldo again won the 2017 UCL Final, this time scoring 2 goals in the process, including an incredibly lucky deflected goal. Ronaldo has won 5 out of the 5 Finals that he has played since 2008. Ronaldo won 4 out of 5 Finals on penalties or in extra-time or without Ronaldo on the pitch, making Ronaldo - quite possibly - the luckiest player of all time in terms of results in Final games. Which begs the question: When will the law of averages finally catch up with Ronaldo's extraordinary luck in final games?? This is extreme luck after all, and according to the law of averages, that extreme luck should balance itself out sooner rather than later; Ronaldo is already 32 years old, and the law of averages has not yet played against him in any of the finals that he has played since 2008. Is there no limit to how lucky a player can be in final games??

2. Lionel Messi was injured for significant spells of season 2012-13, season 2013-14, and season 2015-16, which not coincidentally was instrumental in Cristiano Ronaldo's 2013 and 2014 and 2016 Ballon d'Or runs. On the other hand, Ronaldo has not missed a significant spell of any season since season 2009-10. That's almost an entire decade, without injury forcing him to sit out plenty of games in a calendar year. And you can talk about discipline, dedication, and supernatural athleticism, all you want -- but this is extreme luck at any rate. No other player in the history of the game - not as far as I can remember, at least - has exploited his athleticism to the degree that Ronaldo has, without the (inevitable) injuries that would force him/them to miss out on a significant portion of the games of the calendar year. Which begs the question: When will the law of averages force Ronaldo into missing out on a significant number of games during one specific calendar year?? Ronaldo - as dedicated as he is - still is human after all, isn't he??

11. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Dude, that's not about how much his team carried him compared to some other players, i am not talking about how much luck certain player had compared to others in their overal career, it's about sheer fact that more you try to do something, more likely you are to do it, eventually luck most get to your side. I don't remember it quite clearly, but i am sure Ronaldo had good efforts in all those finals that missed a bit luck to be scored and it got balanced out with that deflected goal. To top it all, he scored a fine, regular goal later on again.

About injury thing, Cristiano is not the first or last player to avoid a serious injury in 7 years span, and you can't say it's luck when they are so completely different type of players. Messi suffered majority of his injuries due to his style of play. So it's not luck in Cristiano's case..

12. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Btw, far from the fact that things always get balanced out. They tend to get balanced, but they don't neccessary do. If it did, bookies wouldn't exist. It's about higher probabilities, which is still not certain in any way.

13. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I remembered i made this prediction so i thought of seeing how accurate i was
    Pretty accurate. On 20th of June he scored his 85th goal. Scored 2 vs Egypt in frendlies before WC as predicted, 4 in WC including three vs Spain, as i predicted thath it was inevitable to happen against the big team at some point. He only scored 1 against Andorra and Switzerland, which was a slightly miscalculated.