Will Canadian clubs have opportunity for CCC?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mr. Knowledge, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Mr. Knowledge

Mr. Knowledge New Member

May 10, 2001
    Baltimore
    Perhaps this has been talked about before, but it baffles me that Canadian clubs don't atleast have a chance to play in CCC qualifiers.

Is the fact that Canada doesn't have a recognized first division the reason they don't get any clubs in the competition? Even if that is the case, if clubs from St. Lucia, Suriname, Netherlands Antilles, St. Martin, Guyana and god knows what other little islands get a shot to play in CCC qualifiers, you would think some format would be devised to give the Toronto, Montreal or Vancuver a chance to play in a qualifier if not the other clubs from Canada.

Has this ever been discussed? Any chance in the future for Canadian clubs to play in qualifiers?

I apoligize if this has been discussed.

Cheers.

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If we had a first division, perhaps they might want to participate in the CCC. If we had a Canadian Open Cup, perhaps the winner would be able to participate in the CCC. Another stumbling block is money. The Vancouver 86ers were drawn against a team from Bermuda in the late 80s I think (Krammerhead might be able to correct me), but I believe they pulled out because they couldn't afford it.

3. UpTheMetro

UpTheMetro Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York
    Moving to the Canada forum.

4. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

It was 1992. Vancouver pulled out before the first leg.

http://www.rsssf.com/tables/cacups92.html#cc

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Whitecaps could represent in the CCC. Wait... the club is on life support at the moment. We don't know yet if they will pull the plug on them.

The Impact would go. But Landry and Co. woudl like use it as a tool to promote Quebec independence.

Oh what a quandry.

6. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

The Whitecaps are not on life support at the moment. What most people fail to realize is they don't exist at the moment. Nobody works for the team, all staff have been let go. With no owner, staff or players there is not a team.

7. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ridiculous. The Impact "as a tool" is more touristic than political as it falls under the Minister of Tourism and hasn't been used AT ALL to promote any kind of political cause, but as usual you have your head firmly up your ass.

8. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The only "tool" around here is DoyleG with his ridiculous statements.

9. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Hey come on guys. We all know that if the Montreal Impact pled in the CCC that would immediately split the country up.

LOL!

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Quite wasting your breath. It's obvious these guys can't take a joke.

11. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I can't believe I typed "pled" instead of "played".

12. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Joke? Sh!t... You need to go to humour school...

13. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A joke doesn't require one to laugh.

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada has competed in the competition twice before. This is what is written in the Canadian Encyclopedia of Soccer by Colin Jose.

"1975- Toronto Serbian White Eagles represented Canada and their first round opponents were the Mexican club Monterrey, who won the first game in Mexico 2-0. The return game played at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto on July 13 was abandoned 22 minutes into the second half as the game erupted into a wild brawl. The Mexicans qualified for the next round on a 3-1 aggregate."

"1976- One year later Toronto Italia as champions of the National Soccer League represented Canada and were drawn against the American club New York Inter-Giuliana. Italia won both games 3-2 in Toronto and 2-1 in New York, however, Italia could not agree on dates for the next round with the Mexican club Toluca and withdrew. One member of the Italia club at this time was Jose Altafini the famous Brazilian born centre forward."