Wigan Athletic On Fire

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Appy Addick, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Appy Addick

Appy Addick Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Portsmouth
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arsenal 1 Wigan Athletic 2

How have they done this..? In recent weeks, this team, supposedly rock bottom in the Premiership and stick-on certainties for relegation have beaten Liverpool at Anfield, Manchester United at home and tonight, Arsenal at the Emirates. during that time, they should also have beaten Chelsea and may well have got at least a point if it hadn't been for a one eyed match official.

At this time, they sit five points above the relegation places and seem to be hitting good form at precisely the right time.

So..... why do they always have to do this..? Since being promoted to the Premier League, they've gone to the well so many times, and it has always been their end of season bursts that have gotten them out of trouble. Last season they escaped relegation on the very last day of the season.

Rumours abound that Roberto Martinez will leave the club in the summer regardless of the outcome of this campaign. I hope he does so with Wigan still in the Premiership.

I like Martinez. He's honest, hardworking, builds a great team ethic and stays cool under pressure. He doesn't blame the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune on the referee every week (Arsene Whiner, Tony Pulis and Mark Hughes take note) and basically, he's just a bloody nice bloke.

Wherever he pitches up next, I hope he gets the chance - and by that I mean the finances - to put together a team of sufficient quality to genuinely compete at a higher level.

One final thought..... why is it that Wigan only play like this at the end of every season..? Why do they have to have their backs to the wall before they come out and show what they really are capable of..?