Why we aren't winning, my opinion

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Alejo, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is Alejo speeking here soo take this opinion with as much salt as you like. :rolleyes:

WE DON'T RETAIN POSESSION WHEN WE HAVE IT

WE DON'T MAKE THE MOST OF OUR POSSESSION/SETPEICE OPPORTUNITIES WHEN WE DO HAVE THEM

AND WE DON'T HAVE ANY DISCIPLIN/CLEARING ABILITIES IN THE DEF THIRD.

As a result of these three key factors we fail to capitalize on blatent opportunities, early goals are allowed, and then the pressures that come with having to chase a game soo early, coupled with the youth and inexperience of our starting 11, do there worst and play becomes hapazard and chaotic as a result.

Solution

1) I've said it before and I'll say it again, MORE 25+ year old players with USL/MLS experience, Sakuda is an admirable start but he's obviously not enough + I think he's under 25. ;)

2) Drills in effective passing and ball possesion/control till the cows come home.

3) Classes in def. theory and how to properly clear balls 6X daily!!!!

Now, after all that, I would like to end this post by stating, flat out, that our club in every third has talent and we have the ability to be a winning side, we just don't yet have the ability and the disciplin to but that RAW talent to good use on the pitch and get results.

2. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's that armchair? Comfy? Good.

Can I get you something to drink? Perhaps a cool alcoholic beverage? There you go.

Is the temperature okay? Here, let me turn the air conditioning down for you.

There. Now, please, tell me more about how soccer should be played. I can't wait to hear more of your fascinating insights.

;)

3. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again Just my opinion, obviously you take your opinions with plenty of Salt Chris. :p

4. JC Tottenham Hotspur

Apr 12, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's not forget that this is our first season. I think we were spoiled by the great season the U23's gave us last season and maybe our expectations were set too high. We can add and get rid of players over the next couple of seasons and then hopefully get a nice team/squad together that will gel and play some nice footy as well as get results (even away from home).

I do agree with Alejo that we need some older, more experienced players in the squad. We seem to be a rudderless ship at the moment. It would be good to see an older midfield general type of player come in to lead the team, along with an older experienced head in defense to steady the back line.

5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kevin Sakuda is hopefully that older, more experienced defender.

We did only give up one goal against Minnesota. Not that that's necessarily a good thing, but other than the clean sheet we managed against Cleveland, that's the best we've done on the road. We usually give up 4 on a wide field, so despite the loss, it could be looked at as an improvement. But I didn't get to watch the game, so I'm just going based on a final score.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things look this weekend.

Well, maybe. It's been kinda depressing and frustrating lately.

But, yeah, it's important to remember that this is our first season, and we have the youngest team in the USL1. We'll drop some players and get new ones. I realized that recently, and actually felt a little sad. Despite the tough season, I've grown fond of all the players. At least, all the ones that haven't been wandering in on loan.;)

6. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously. :) But yeah, what you said seemed to be either a) completely obvious and/or b) easy to say when you're watching from the sidelines.

For what it's worth, I think the biggest problems this season have been injuries and the depth to overcome them. When we had Miguel, Gifton, Sullivan, and Yordany all healthy at the beginning of the season, we were competitive and very fun to watch. With a couple of those guys out, we seem to take a large step down in quality. I would add Eddie to that group of essential players, but fortunately he's been healthy all along.

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And don't forget, Eddie was also out because of visa stuff for a while.

Nevertheless, this is a good point. Just about any team in USL1 and even MLS is going to suffer when their four best players are out for an extended period.

8. moeron15

moeron15 New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Iowa City
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You aren't winning because you play in the same league as the Rhinos :p :D

9. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why is that "e" in your name? ;)

10. moeron15

moeron15 New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Iowa City
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAHA, zing! :)

11. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd be amazed just how important USL First Division experience can be in building a good squad. Look at Charleston, Portland, and Puerto Rico this season.

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any explanation for Montreal?;)

13. moeron15

moeron15 New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Iowa City
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, apparently it's the wrong COMBO of USL vets.