Why the Premiership is crap

Discussion in 'England Rivalries' started by leg_breaker, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    what comments were those? i didnt see anything worth commenting on other then you throwing your usual immature insults. and the prediction is going well. pretty stupid of you to bring that up seeing as thats one thing i can actually prove id kick your ass left and right in. you ignorant fawk.

2. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Jesus, you are stupid.

Mind you, now that I think about it I can understand why you would want to push the memory of your infamous pronoucements on last year's Liverpool - Juventus match-up to the back of your tiny little mind. That was easily one of the most embarrassing crash'n'burns any Bigsoccer poster has ever managed to conjure up. A true tour de force of publically demonstrating total, abject cluelessness.

Which leads us neatly onto your comments - your original contribution to this thread was so rectum-puckeringly inane and unintelligent that I had to comment. You, by reply, have managed nothing but stumped schoolyard blubbering.

But fine, if you're dumb enough to encourage me to rub your nose in it:

You, as I have said, proven and concluded, are an idiot.

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    ah so thats what you meant. i thought you meant the prediction league. well put a fork in me. sorry for thinking a pathetic team like liverpool could beat us.
    you havent said anything to counter what i said though. all you did was throw insults. like most people on here do.
    very inteligent. what i said is true. a cap wouldnt mean every good player disappeared. you just disect what i said, put up a couple phrases and took things out of context and think youve made a point. you made none. you proved youre an idiot.

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Haha!

Perhaps, then, you should offer us up the correct context for the idea that limiting the operational freedom of one market without similarly controlling all other related markets in an open global economy would have no detrimental impact on the controlled market.

I've already offered a context: namely, that your understanding of macroeconomics is as woeful as your understanding of football. So ... your turn. Am I wrong? I don't think so.

And do try to rise beyond "I know you are but what am I?" if that's something you're at all capable of. Much obliged.

5. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    the restrictions that you mention exist in almost all markets. you think every company flags out of their country because doing business elsewhere is more profitable? they dont. just like having a cap and being able to offer players a bit less money wouldnt mean everyone just disappeared. 15 years ago prem league teams didnt have anything close to the money serie a did. what happened? platt, ince, walker and gazza ended up in serie a. thats it. much like today with beckham, owen for example. it probably wasnt really about money in either of those incidents. you didnt see everyone going there just to get a paycheck. my point is that you wouldnt see prem league teams buying foreign star players at the rate they do today. that would be the entire effect in my opinion. the english players would stay. thing being the talent would be more spread then it is today. thats what would make the prem league more exciting.

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    "Allmost all markets" have a mandatory, regulatory, cap on the use of capital within those markets, imposed by a governing body?

That's your first shot at convincing me you understand even basic macroeconomic principle?

:rolleyes: Nice strawman.

When has the frame of reference on a salary cap been "everyone disappearing". The argument is that the standard of player in a league with a salary cap would suffer relative to the standard of player in a league without a salary cap, because in a free market, talent gravitates toward reward for talent. If you artificially restrict one market's ability to use capital to attract and retain talent then other markets, where no such restriction exists, will benefit from a relative rise in talent. Christ, it's so obvious, it's actually painful to have to commit it into black and white.

Your attempt at an example is even more lamentable - back in the early to mid-90's Serie A had a much higher standard of play than the First Division/Premier League had and the general range of player in England (whether foreign or not) that would be attractive to teams in other, better leagues was much more limited. Now that is not the case. We are also now in a post-Bosman landscape which has seen the movement of players across leagues mushroom exponentially. Forcing English clubs to accept regulatory restraints like a salary cap on a unilateral basis would inevitably and inarguably lead to a massive drain of talent from the English league to other leagues where no such restraints exist.

Seriously, you have not the faintest idea what you are on about, perhaps you should spare us all the pain of watching you try and work it out for yourself?

7. jimi hendrix

jimi hendrix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 2, 2006
    rock 'n' roll hell
    and many pubs around england (including my local:D ) have the asian channels that show them. so everyone is a winner :D

8. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    yes almost all markets have taxes that are exclusive to their region. and it sets them at a disadvantage economically.
    no it wouldnt.
    if you had read and actually understood what i said. but i guess thats too much to ask from a idiot like you.
    whats painful is seeing you trying to make a case.
    its pretty much the same today. england have 20 or so good players. say a couple of them would leave for greener grass, like in early-mid 90s. thats it.
    bullsh!t. unless you think the prem league is as attractive as the french or dutch league. even you cant be that stupid. even with a cap, which we havent discussed the size of, the top prem league teams would have more money then 99% of other european teams
    awwwww so cute

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What the hell was that? Do we need a visual demonstration of your inability to process basic concepts in anything more than baby-sized chunks?

The premise I have laid out for you is simple, irrefutable and acknowledged as fact by anyone with any semblance of a clue. End of story.

Your inability to comprehend reality shouldn't be my problem. I think we're done here, basically. The derby's started and you're disappearing into the swirling vortex of your own stupidity.

10. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    jesus christ you are an idiot. im done with you. you dont understand a fawkin thing ive said. go play on the highway kiddo.

11. RevsCurvaSud

RevsCurvaSud New Member

May 1, 2006
    The Fort
    It essentially boils down to what the players themselves Want to be paid. They'll chase the money.

12. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    I've heard that apes can recognise themselves in reflections. Well done!

13. Alfiesdodgyknee

Alfiesdodgyknee New Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Glazer's Pocket
    Wud u be still pissed of with the whole big 4 thing if Bolton were in it? No.

4-4 Thriller or Bad defending by lower Clubs (Bolton -Midlesborough for one made me cringe 4-3 or summat that was ?)
    And as for Not being able to stand Blame Liverpool F.C who ********ed up Once Again at a cup game in sheffield

Small Capacity Stadia?- ever here of Supply and demand? Whats the point havin a big 50,000 Stadium if u cant fill it? ala Reebok stadium

Out of towm stadiums? Old trafford is in the middle of trafford-Highbury was in the middle of A vast Housing area -City of manc stadium is in the middle of gorton -if im not mistaken -Anfield is in the middle of A slum just like Goodison Park-Upton Park -In middle of East Ham

Poor Telivision Coverage and dumbed down analysis -ANDY GRAY?????

U can't have a drink -Ye because certain twats wuyd have too much as in any place and lead to more violence-Do u want a punch up durin a match wit sum drunken Twat ?

Title Race-Don't really concern u does it?? Remeber 2002/2003 How was theat Not exciting? 97/98 -98/99 The same -Quality stuff

Plastic Fans and Stupid Kick off times -Try supportin United Mate

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Quoth he, the Paddy plastic from o'er the sea.

15. Alfiesdodgyknee

Alfiesdodgyknee New Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Glazer's Pocket
    Says the ********in murderin ******** from liverpool-How many wallets did u get after hillsborough mate??? -I suppose u took a leak too on ur way out and hit a copper-Cant wait for liverpool away next year goin to be very ********in entertaining

Hows life in the Self-pity city these days anyway?Any minute silence's for the Bomb found in the mersey -Shame it wasnt in the city centre -wud love to see a load of scousers blow to bits -Prob be a ********in memorial every 5 minutes for the next 20 years after it tho

16. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    'Cause throwing cups full of shit on other teams supporters makes you a real fan... :rolleyes:

17. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Pffffft it makes you a super top ultra supporter !Duh :eek:

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    what a rubbish thread

ben from usa, you support american league teams, how can u say the prem is crap?

seriously, footballs becoming gay in leagues like spain where barely any physical contact rwesults in a free kick and yellow card

football has been going down the shitter since diving became acceptable

even gerrard did it against hungary

19. blackandwhitearmy

blackandwhitearmy New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    newcastle
    nothing wrong with quality of football i dont think best league in the world. u must be watchin the wrong team kidda

20. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why you should come to America and go to a college football game. We weren't "allowed" to drink at games, but the student section always reeked of bourbon. I knew some guys who actually snuck a pony keg in via a wheelchair and a dude with a broken leg. A student guest ticket was only $16.00. What's that...like a couple of #s? (sorry...I don't have the cool symbol for pounds) Most games are on campus and there are people cooking everywhere. Your English accent would probably get you fed more than you can hold and might even get you laid. :p
    Seriously though, all professional sports have gotten this way. I don't really understand why they feel the need to cornhole those who actually show up. The NFL stadiums are actually (with the exception of FedEx Field) getting smaller. Tampa Stadium held over 70,000. Raymond James Stadium holds just over sixty. While the stadia are a major revenue stream, they don't compare to the obscene amount of money that pours in from the television deals.
    As for a salary cap, that would lead to even more boardroom wins. Savvy, well financed teams will still dominate.

49ers 5(1)
    Cowboys 5(3)
    Steelers 5(1)
    Raiders 3
    Packers 3(1)
    Redskins 3(1)
    Patriots 3
    Broncos 2
    Dolphins 2
    Giants 2
    Bucs 1
    Rams 1
    Jets 1
    Chiefs 1
    Ravens 1
    Colts 1
    Bears 1
    Total 40
    The teams in bold are the teams that have won a Super Bowl in the years since the salary cap was instituted and the numbers to the side are the number won by those teams since then. There are 32 teams in the NFL, and of those, only 17 have won a Super Bowl.
    Why not put a cap on transfer fees and make trading players more of an option?

21. gigi_riva

gigi_riva New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Hull
    What a ridiculous thread. To say there is no atmosphere is ludicrous, have you ever been to a Premiership game?

22. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    What's wrong with one o clock kick offs? Especially on weekends when most fans don't work?
    Yet this doesn't deter attendances. If prices are too high, then fans don't HAVE to attend or buy season tickets. Basic microeconomics, bud. ;)
    You can't in Spain or Italy either. The Bernabeu, Nou Camp, San Siro, etc. are all seater stadia too. And you DO remember the Hillsborough disaster? And the ************ conditions prior to the Taylor Report?
    Why do you need a drink?! If clubs don't want to serve alcohol, tough. Basic property rights.
    Hmm, OK. Old Trafford is in a built up area. As is the Emirates Stadium, St. James' Park, Anfield, Villa Park, Stamford Bridge, etc. Even if a stadium is out of town, so what? Many people drive cars, so if anything access would be easier and more convenient. Maybe it's because there is a lack of room in cities to build stadia.

So what? EVERY major league in Europe is like this! Look at Spain for example. Apart from Real Madrid and Barcelona, few other teams have won championships. Same with Bayern Munich in Germany, Juventus and the Milan clubs in Italy, Rangers and Celtic in Scotland, Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord in the Netherlands, etc.
    Not in every ground. It's not the clubs' fault that new brands of football fan are attending games.
    Simple. Don't BUY THEM!
    For the big clubs, like Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. maybe. Should these clubs be rebuked for having large fan bases?
    How are commentators the fault of the clubs or the Premier League?! :confused: Sky's coverage is FAR superior to BBC and ITV's EVER was! And with digital TV, lots more people have Sky Sports and can watch Premiership matches.

Huh? IMO, Serie A and the Spanish First Division aren't THAT technically superior to the Premiership. Besides you'll always get teams who are better footballing sides than others. Are Watford as good a footballing side as Arsenal?

Supply and demand. And this is the same in every country. You think in Spain the sports papers feature Gimnastic over Real Madrid or Barca?
    Hasn't that been the way it ALWAYS was? It has just been exaggerated with the money in contemporary football. Like in the 80's (before the advent of the Premiership and big money in English football), John Barnes went from Watford (a small club) to Liverpool (a big club). Big clubs have always had the edge in attracting top talent. It's because they have more support and more tradition/glamour. That's WHY they ARE big clubs! ;)
    OK, so Old Trafford, Emirates, St. James' Park are small? Whatever... The Premiership clubs with the smaller stadia ARE the smaller clubs! Clubs like Bolton, Reading, Wigan, Watford, Portsmouth, Charlton, etc. don't POSSESS the fan bases to warrant having large grounds. Why build a 60,000 seater ground if your core support is only 25,000? Also, Germany is the ONLY European league with larger average attendances. So having "small capacity stadiums" is irrelevant and ineffectual to that.
    Never? So 94/95, 97/98, 98/99, etc. don't count?

23. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    When you finish work at 7am, 1pm kickoffs mean you only get 4 hours sleep.

Attendances are on a steady decline outside of the few big teams.

What does that have to do with anything?

You ever tried driving to the Reebok on a matchday?

And that makes it acceptable? What is the point in a league where only a fifth of the teams have any reason being there? Look at some of the American leagues if you want to see true competition.

It's the club's business to generate an atmosphere-inducing environment, and to attract the right sorts of fan.

You think that teams shouldn't be able to compete without millions of plastic fans buying merchandising or billionaire owners?

Digital TV has nothing to do with sky. In fact Sky costs around £500 a year.

That's three stadiums. Have a look at the NFL with an average crowd of 67,000. Over double the Premiership's average.

Three title races in the last decade, and only between two teams.

24. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Most people don't finish work at 7am though. Should they stop midweek games in case someone works nights?

Spurs haven't been a top team for a while and we get sell outs. So do Newcastle.

Because that's the reason we HAVE all seater stadia! It's about safety.

Take a bus?!

Because there rules are different. The bottom teams get a pick of the top players. And yes, most leagues in Europe are like that. That's life. You think Getafe have as much chance of winning La Liga as Real Madrid?

Why? As long as people come through the turnstiles regularly and are loyal it makes no difference.

You can't stop "plastic fans" from supporting who they want. And we live in a capitalist society. If someone wants to buy a football club, who is the government to stop them?

What?! Sky are one of the primary providers in digital TV in the UK!

England's average attendances are the second highest in Europe. So what? Other countries have smaller clubs with smaller fan bases. Racing Santander don't have as big a ground as Barcelona for that reason.

Again, England is no exception to this.

25. Trayster_United

Trayster_United New Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    ...and I am saving every penny to be able to someday travel to England, attend a match, and BUY A SHIRT!. Can't wait!