why not Gomez?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bct81, Oct 17, 2011.

1. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your wrong ... in terms of goals per minute played he has been scorching the turf for three years now.

He should ALWAYS be called up as the first sub off the bench particularly if we are in need of offense.

We can argue all day long about whether he is physically strong enough or whether he matches Klinsmann's style. It is a statistical fact that per minute Herc buries it in the back of the net (ugly goals, simple goals, attractive goals whatever) more than the other US strikers.

I can see why Klinsman favors Dempsey and Donovan ... I can understand why Altidore and Sapong and Agudelo are always given strong looks. Herc just continues to score goals at an excellent per minute pace in the FMF and JK just does not give him the same look.

2. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the US National team. I know he hasn't had a lot of chances, but I can't remember any good showings. Perhaps that ads into it.
    But I didn't realize he had done so well last year in Mexico. It seems like he's pretty streaky though. That could be part of the reason he's not getting called in as much... not hot at the right time.
    My overall point is: I remember being slightly surprised he hasn't been called in sometimes, but I don't remember him or anyone else aghast that he wasn't called in at any given point.

5. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
  6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    He has a better goals per minute than Edson Buddle with the US. Important, because goals per minute is nearly always used by Buddle advocates.

7. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's also something that makes me skeptical of him. A header against the Czech Republic and a practical tap-in against Australia. He's done almost nothing else, although he did have a run against Slovenia that opened space for Michael Bradley. That's really it. If he's not scoring, he's non-existent. He either pays off heavily or fails miserably. That's not a knock on Gomez. It's the nature of the poacher breed of strikers.

8. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But Buddle can do other things aside from score. Add that to his nearly as good ability to score, and I'd actually take Buddle over Gomez.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    It's pretty reasonable you don't remember much, judging by his playing time:

22 Argentina '07
    45 Colombia '07 (start)

45 Czechia '10 (goal)
    9 Australia (goal)
    11 Slovenia
    45 Algeria (start)
    30 Ghana
    24 Brazil

Forcing a choice right now between Gomez and Buddle is not necessary, they can both make the squad. As long as there's at least 3 strikers in a squad, there should be room for the hot striker of the moment (assuming he's not the manager's preferred choice already).

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomez should be used the same way he is for his club, off the bench to provide offense.

11. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. kickingdead

kickingdead Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Gomez's twitter (I have not seen the games) he has been playing some mid also lately so maybe Dempsey could stay put and Gomez could play wider. I would enjoy him as the super sub roll instead of something like Boyd coming in for what almost seemed like a cap just to cap.
    All this really does not matter though because as of now it seems Klins does not rank him well internally so he is not getting a shot.

13. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kind of hard to score if JK does not call you up.

but when he is called up he scores at a high rate per minute for the USMNT as well.

and once again - we should not care how the goal looks ... if Herc is in great position and his teammate makes a great pass to him for the tap in - why do we care that it was a tap in ... heck maybe his teammates play better when he is on the field ... I don't care - all the matters is wins and for strikers - goals produced.

go back and look at the first post from back in Oct 2011 .. it lays out the #'s for Herc per minute and when he scored for the US nats.

nobody is "aghast" because Herc does not tend to make a fuss about it.

14. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would take whoever helps us win.

Has Buddle done that?

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Seconded. Better still in a 20 minute cameo.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too easy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkRgCGdfRzI"]MNT vs. Slovenia: Highlights - Nov. 15, 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

17. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sorry, should have made myself clearer. I'd call-up both Gomez and Buddle. I'd start Buddle over Gomez though. I've never been against Gomez at least getting a call-up, when he's on fire anyways...

Two goals against Australia, a hit to the head that resulted in the first goal against Czech Republic, and a goal against Slovenia. I'd say the guy is pretty useful.

18. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no heartburn with that - never did.

My heartburn is that over the last 3 years Gomez continually produces goals for his clubs in the FMF and gets routinely ignored by Bradley Sr. and now JK.

Makes no sense not to have called him in as a super sub based on when and how he scores goals in FMF.

Gomez: 2 goals in 8 matches for the USMNT .. 197 minutes played ... he scored against Czech Republic and Australia ... scored 2nd goal to tie against the Czech's - but we lost. And the 3rd goal in the win against Australia.

Buddle: 3 goals in 11 matches for the USMNT .. he scored goals 1 and 2 in that same match against Australia that Gomez scored in ... Buddle starts and plays 78 minutes (Gomez gets to sniff the pitch at minute 82) ... then his third goal is that sparkler against Slovenia ... Buddle plays 78 minutes in that match as well.

It is pretty clear tho that Gomez's score rate for club is much higher than Buddle's. And remains that way for the national team as well (per minute played).

I have no heartburn with Buddle - I don't understand why Gomez gets short shrift.

19. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Jared Dubois's Twitter

He's got my attention.

20. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. xsosx

xsosx Member

May 27, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://twitter.com/#!/herculezg

22. BarcaLover

BarcaLover Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Richmond, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he's been an excellent player the last two years and isn't getting any looks. Hell Buddle is getting called up and isn't even scoring goals.

24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope he isn't doing something so short-sighted, so incredibly stupid.

Perhaps because he feels slighted? And by whom, a German? He has a chance to represent a nation! To walk now would make him a nobody in US soccer history.

Think twice, dude. You will need to live with this decision for the rest of your life.