Why no Opara and Besler?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Dec 11, 2018.

1. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our biggest issue in qualifying was a shaky back line, KC had Besler, a regular USMNT starter and his CB partner who was voted MLS defender of the year in 2017 and I don't ever recall seeing them play together for the USMNT.

Does anyone know why?

Magikfute repped this.
  2. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opara’s injury history probably has something to do with it. That, and I guess Klinsmann didn’t rate him and Arena wasn’t going to experiment.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought is that it's the opposite of experiment to put out guys who play together every week. I notice other NTs seem to do it fairly often. Germany comes immediately to mind.

4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler and Cameron had a long history together before Besler got injured and later Cameron aged out.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Opara played 30 matches in a season for the very first time in his career in 2017.

6. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Arena had a decision tree like this:

1. Call guys I have to call because everyone can see they are clearly better.
    2. Call guys I know and trust from personal interaction.
    3. Call guys I've coached against and played well against me.

Opara wasn't on the field in T&T, or the bench, because Arena took four CBs. Cameron (#1), Omar (#2), Besler (#2, #3). That left Tim Ream. Opara being hurt before Arena took over is probably what happened. Arena thought Ream was a #1 or maybe he remembers him from MLS (#3) and he got into camps and became a #2 somehow. So, by the Fall of 2017, Opara is playing great, but Arena already has "his guys". Arena wants to drop Cameron, but doesn't because of the optics?

But I agree that Opara starting instead of Gonzales probably means the USA is in the World Cup. Same can be said for Parkhurst, Parker, Cameron, Marshall, and Miazga.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Besler was one of the best players in the league the second half of this season and almost nobody noticed. He can still play at the international level, but does it make sense to use a CB who will be 35 in Qatar? We have quality CB's already. If there's a CB crisis, we can call him into the fold and ask him to play well, but its probably best to give him a NT retirement match and thank him for his NT service.

Opara isn't good enough. Good MLS player though.

8. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not asking to bring Besler to 2022, more pondering why the pairing never featured up to now.

You don't rate Ike. That's a logical answer to the question.

What's his problem?

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    His problem is that Besler and Vermes make him look better than he is. SKC hasn't actually had another NT player or NT-level player (someone not US-eligible) in that defense IMO, yet they've been the best defense in the league 3 of the last 7 years, and outside the top five one of those seven years.

That begs the question. Why? There have been two things that haven't changed in that defense since they became good. Besler and Vermes. Its not unreasonable to believe that the best defender in MLS of his generation and the best coach in MLS of his generation (also more of a defensive coach than offensive coach) can throw a bunch of pieces together, and be a very good defense year after year. How many years have the New England Patriots been the best offense in the NFL with Brady and Belichick?

Opara is an above-average MLS talent. He's very good in the air and he's good in physical duels, but he gets credit for being this athletic monster that he's not. His mobility is very overrated. He'll get turned by a speedster easily. He's not fast. His passing is also below-average. Good MLS player. Made to look better than he is. Not a NT level player, IMO.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Thought Ike was one of the few standouts in January Camp '18.

Timing and Opara's injury history.

11. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Your ike dislike only came into existence when he started getting minutes over epb. Similar to how you always talk down Atlanta’s attacking talent, cause they all get minutes over Carleton. Perspective is key, bro

Marko72 repped this.
  12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If 3G wants CBs who can "pass through the lines" then Besler should be there...he's good at this.

Plus, he'd be a way better vet for leadership than MB in my opinion.

gunnerfan7, TOAzer and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I promised I'd give Berhalter a year to see what he is really about as USMNT manager, which I suppose in practical terms means "through the Gold Cup"...
    Yes, I would have liked to have seen Besler, not Bradley, in the camp as "senior presence"..... for many reasons... but it's Camp Cupcake....
    See y'all next year.