Why no Noonan?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Allamerican74, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Maybe I missed that he was injured or something due to laziness but I was just wondering why the joint MLS top scorer wasn't called up to the Nats?

2. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    He's just not very good, Dempsey and Twellman are both better offensive players from his team.

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taylor is better, Dempsey's play went down dramatically after his broken jaw. The thing with noonan is that he is inconsistant. Some games he is just non existant. The guy has 21 goals in two years so I don't think its his offensive skills thats stoping him from getting called in, its his lack of consistancy. When he can be a threat in every game like a Twellman or Ruiz then he will get more call ups

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's just caught in a numbers game, and now he's fallen way behind Eddie Johnson, Ching, Buddle, etc. I'm afraid Twellman (or as I like to call him Taylor Kreis) is in a similar situation, and he's better than Noonan. The US now has considerable talent at each position that it hasn't ever had before. Just being a good player doesn't do it anymore.

5. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Thanks for the replies guys. Still I would have thought being the points leader would mean something but I guess not. Inconsistency seems to the main reason.

6. Mainer5

Mainer5 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Topsham, Maine
    After watching last nights game, it is clear why "no noonan". All the players on the field last night played a two way game. Pat's problem with the rev's is that he is a one way player for most of the match. At the Nat level you need to work hard for the entire 90+ minutes and Pat just doesn't do that on the club level.

Look at McBride and Wolfe, how many times did you see them track back defensively, and then get on their horses and counter attack off a stolen ball.

I like pat, but he is not a nat player at this point in time.

7. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Well I'll take a Revs fan's insight to this as best. That seems like a good reason. Thanks.

8. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Well Buddle and Aleko are also tied for the goal lead and they aren't being called in either.

9. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I'd like to see Noonan get a look. Not a start or even a cap, necessarily, but I think he might be a useful player over the next two years if some of those perceived to be "ahead" of him go down with injury, cards, or a drastic drop in form. Noonan's a crafty player who just knows how to score goals. Has he even been brought into a camp?

10. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I agree its part of the numbers game, and what each player brings to the game.

As to the top scorer not being called... right now there are a few people tied for the lead in goals... including Americans Johnson, Ching and Buddle. But just being top scorer doesnt mean you're the right fit for the team. Remember Roy Lassiter? He lit it up in MLS, but was awful for the national team.

I personally think Noonan will get a chance, but it's hard when some of the other young players have stepped up. Also hurts when Ching and Johnson each score in their first couple games.

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Even among uncapped MLS strikers, I'd say Noonan is behind Buddle and Arnaud in the pecking order. (Yes I know Buddle has a cap, but it was several years ago and as a sub IIRC, so he's essentially uncapped for the purposes of our argument)

12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes

13. Ganush34

Ganush34 New Member

Not to mention Jason Kreis, MLS all time leading goal scorer, had several chances with the Nats and never did a thing.

14. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Noonan I am sure will get called in again and hopefully get some playing time. He has skills and is a good finisher. The thing is Arena has a thing for speed. He does not have EJ s quickness to an open ball. Dempsey has a better shot in that regard. If Dempsey gets healthy I expect great things. Sorry that Casey had no time on the field.