Why no clubs from Hong Kong and Taiwan in CSL?

Discussion in 'China' started by psveindhoven, Jun 13, 2007.

1. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    Why no clubs from Hong Kong and Taiwan in CSL? I think FC Hong Kong and FC Taipei might be pretty good clubs. They can attract sponsors and TV-deals, I think it should be good for the league and the rivalry might be interesting. A good league needs rivalry, just look at England, Turkey, Argentina, Spain and Brazil.

2. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    i think HK level is around the C-league and taiwan football maybe around the D2 so is not challenging for CSL team to play against them

3. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    I don't think HK ans Taiwan clubs are attracting many sponsors.
    Most HK and TW fans prefer watching european competition.

4. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    That's because their league sucks. If they had a club playing in the much bigger CSL, they would be much more interested in the football in their own country.

5. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Actually Ginde wanted to move to HK when the club was still in Shenyang. I don't know what happened after. HK and TW are lucrative markets for any CSL team and I'm sure they will be open to CSL team one day.

Right now I think maybe there is too much politics involved. ask the CSL top decision makers.

6. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Isn't baseball more popular in Taiwan, like in Japan, especially now with the apparent success of Taiwanese players in Major League Baseball.

7. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    yes...but I think there is still room for soccer in the taiwanese market.
    plus the effect of globalization: there were tons of people who watched world cup last summer. There is even a plan to qualify the team for the world cup by 2030...etc.

8. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    How can they qualify? By attracting the short, skilled players, who'll never get a look within the CFA structure, to defect to Taiwan? :D

9. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    with money anything is possible...haha...

10. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i think..if hk is able to integrate with CSL.
    this is actually revive the local hong kong culture that was long-lost this 10 years.

for example..look at the hk player named "ng wai-chiu".
    he rather play in a cheap lower team in china instead of high-paying team in hk.

then his skill was recongnize and he is playing for shanghai shenhua.
    he did all this because he wants to play quality soccer.

maybe the best team in hong kong can not compete in the csl..
    if they can go to the lower league of csl..and compete to go up to csl.

i think it would really worth consideration.

11. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Will the CFA allow it? Also, will Hong Kongers watch the CSL? Aren't they even more superficial than the Shanghainese. :p

12. serbchina

serbchina New Member

May 31, 2007
    because of the traffic problem?

13. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Wrong. Players earn jack sh!t in HK league. The top wages in the HK League is only about HKD $20K to $30K per month, which is about USD$2500 - $4000. Most players earn around $10K - 15K a month, with most young players earning less than $10K a month.

That's extremely low compared to the top wages in CSL, which can go up to a million RMB a year (~USD140,000 a year).

14. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Soccer is not popular in Taiwan. It's behind baseball and basketball. Plus geographical and political reasons prohibits Taiwanese club in the CSL. (e.g. no direct flight from mainland to Taiwan).

HK has its own leagues. Clubs cannot earn money these days because of extremely low attendence (caused by proliferation of Euro league satellite TV). It is possible to have a HK team in CSL but I don't see this happening until CSL improves and becomes the top league in Asia.

15. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  16. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ok. the "east magazine" from hong kong or "star magazine" published in canada wrote bull sh!t then! :mad:

17. ChinaDan

ChinaDan Member

May 29, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think it'd be a great idea to have the HK league and Chinese League combined.

What is the standard of Football like for the HK league and the Chinese League???
    I've always got the picture that the HK League would be of similar standard to English Division 2/3 standard and the Chinese league to be something long the lines of the MLS/ J-league standard, maybe slighty lower...

18. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    those tabloid magazines always write sh!t and exaggerate things.

19. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    That's about right. But I think CSL is on par with J-league.

20. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    If Hong Kong and Taiwan joins the CSL, they will not longer be allowed to have their own national teams under FIFA rules. EPL has previously approached Celtic to join, but the samething applied so the Scottish said no way.

I personally think Taiwan and Hong Kong should give up their crappy national teams and join the CSL. More money is in it for them. On the other hand, maybe not, because Taiwan and Hong Kong are just two more national teams that China can beat up on for points. Whatever, mixed emotions.

Oh, one more thing, if Hong Kong had a CSL team, it would gamble like grazy. Bad because there would be more corruption.

21. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team from Taiwan in the Chinese league? That's funny.

China hates democracy and freedom, thus they would not let a team from a place that encourages democracy and freedom in their league.

22. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Toronto FC is in MLS. Does that mean Canada can't have its own national team?

23. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    good point. perhaps there's some rules that i am missing out. but i know EPL has asked Celtic to join, but they refused b/c of this reason.

someone fill me in? was I completely wrong or just partly?

24. psveindhoven

psveindhoven New Member

May 17, 2006
    Wrong. Combining of leagues is possible, there are many examples:
    Toronto FC from Canada playing in MLS (USA), FC Vaduz from Liechtenstein in Switzerland, Cardiff City from Wales in England, Wellington Phoenix from New Zealand playing in Australia, Puerto Rico Islanders playing in the US etc.

25. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I guess that explains why there are no HK or Taiwanese businessmen running around China!