why is the US the only team that gets to host this???

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by crzdcolombian, Jun 8, 2007.

1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    k i know that mexico co-hosted it a few yrs back but this tournie is every 2 years and every 2 years its in the US ... thats not fair. Why doesnt any other country get to host it, and im not sayin taht mexico and us switch who host it each time but like costa rica is good why cant they host.

2. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    USA + lots of money = Always going to host

3. haitian_fan

haitian_fan New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    The reson is so simple, us is a part of every other america's countries... people don't need to fly cauz they already in us.... every team are playing like they home.... economical situation as well..... and infrastructure too.... this will take long to take it from us and I'm sure it won't be as success as it is in us out of us even in Canada....

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yea but its not fair.... i knoe that its the richest country in concacaf but still so is canada and mexico ... it just makes it look more like a joke tournie by doing that... they should just have left the name US cup like b4..

this is one of the things i hate about fifa, if it was any other countrie or contient they would be like no... but because its US its like ok

5. Sheva7

Sheva7 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    It's easy for the USA to host it since they have good facilities and are capable of holding such a tournament. I don't know why Mexico doesn't try to host it on their own or co-host more. Has any other country even asked to host it? I think it's more CONCACAF wanting the USA to host it rather than the USA demanding to host it.

6. Splatypus

Splatypus New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Ottawa
    It looks like the U20 WC is going to be a success in Canada this summer so that may convince CONCACAF to let us host a Gold Cup in a few years.

7. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Exactly right. Plus, it isn't like the US enjoys some huge advantage in terms of fan support. They are typically outnumbered no matter who they play.

8. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because no CONCACAF stadiums, besides USA and Mexico, are capable of hosting the tournament. Plus, the USA provide the foremost financial boost for the region.

9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i doubt this .... because home field advantage is very very strong and helps team alot.. Colombia in barranquilla scored 2 5-0, and a 3-0, it makes it alot easier to win, Mexico is almost unstoppable in the Azteca... home field advantage works, and im sure alot of teams would like it. Tho only 2 countries that can host r mexico and Us because of stadiums. I might sound dumb but canada doesnt have a league do they, cause I know toranto fc is part of MLS, and I dont think Costa Rican clubs have big stadiums so.... I guess it would have to be these 2 countries each time, just seems really werid because in SA we switch each time and then not to get any one mad but mexico has the balls to ask for Copa America 2011 when they dont host the Gold Cup... it doesnt make sense

10. Deiselboy_ redded

Apr 27, 2007
    I think also because the usa has real diverse crowds at their games. If you had the gold cup in costa rica, i think all games would have costa rican home advantage, same with in mexico etc. No biggy anyways, its not like usa fans are filling the stadiums up.

11. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Why is it unfair? Are you actually saying that teh US has an advantage with the crowd? Have you never seen a US match, like always (as it was yesterday) theres always just as many opposing if (if not more) then there are US fans.

Having it in the US is probably the fairest place to hold the tourney for all teh teams, no team has a real home field advantage, yet they still get support. I suggest you do your research before posting these types of baseless threards.

12. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why Mexico plays most of their friendlies in the United States could be another answer...

Canada has the money to host the tournament, but it seems like they have stadium issues?

13. Splatypus

Splatypus New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Ottawa
    Not true at all. Canada has got more than enough stadiums in the 20K to 60K range to host this and we are in the process of building two new 20K soccer specific stadiums in Vancouver and Montreal.

Over 750K tickets to the U20 world cup this summer have already been sold, that's second in attendance only to Mexico.

14. Sheva7

Sheva7 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    True, their support in the States is as strong as in Mexico.

15. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you refering to CFL Stadiums with astroturfs? I'm sure Canada can host the Gold Cup. It depends if CONCACAF is brave enough bypassing the United States and $$$ they can earn.

16. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. It seems like that Mexicans living in the United States have more money to spend than Mexicans living in Mexico. It's all about the money

17. Splatypus

Splatypus New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Ottawa
    Edmonton at 60K is natural grass as will be the new stadiums in Vancouver and Montreal. Ottawa's stadium has FIFA approved Field Turf so does TFC's stadium in Toronto.

Playing surface is hardly an issue though, it's not like Giants stadium has usually has grass.

The problem is the CSA, they've had their head up their asses for years.

18. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Coincidentally i wrote earlier today that they may be able to afford the surgery...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520418&page=2

19. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
    at the minimum, one of the host cities should be in Canada and one in Mexico

Edmonton, TO, Ottawa & Montreal can host easily - Van City when they build a decent size stadium

20. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to add -- though it's already been mentioned -- that once Vancouver and Montreal build their soccer stadiums, I suspect we'll see Canada host. Canadian doesn't quite have the same amount of immigrants from Central America and the Carribean, but the major cities there have enough that you'll get diverse crowds like you do in the US (and a lack of "home field advantage").

That said, I'm pretty suprised that Mexico has never hosted on their own. If anything, I suspect it's CONCACAF not wanting them to have such home field advantage, preferring the US with it's diverse crowds. But an all Mexican GC would add some legitimacy to the tourney.

What about a Central American one using stadiums in a few of the countries (Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, etc.)?

21. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I wonder if it might have more to do with attendance for non-Mexico games?

22. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

You will always have a slight advantage when the Gold Cup is held every two years in your own country where your players are used to the places where they play.

23. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yo estaba pensando en esta misma pregunta hace un par de dias y mi teoria se basa en el hecho de que EE.UU. y Mexico son quizas los unicos paises con la infraestructura (los suficientes estadios) para ser locales en un torneo asi.

La diferencia entre Mexico y EE.UU. (la ventaja a EE.UU., quizas) es el hecho de que en este pais hay gente de todas las selecciones que participan (al contrario de Mexico). En EE.UU. hay hartos chapines, catrachos, haitianos, etc...cosa que no se da en otros paises de la zona.

Si se jugara en Guadalajara un Haiti-Guadalupe (por dar un ejemplo) no creo que vaya mucha gente. En cambio, si se juega en Miami, es casi un estadio lleno garantizado.

Metro

24. manudo1987

manudo1987 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Heredia,Costa Rica
    Por mi que la sigan haciendo en USA, en cualquier otro lado seria un fracaso en cuanto a asistencia de publico.

25. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I would like to see Central America as a host, If the games are spread out among Honduras, Costa Rica, and Guatemala for instance, those teams finally get a real home field advantage, with double headers most games will still get good attendance and the travel time would be less than it is in the US.

I cannot help but think that in the above scenario, Costa Rica would already have a couple of titles.