Why Hartford?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by careerender, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, as we speak I'm currently trying to get Pratt Street in downtown Hartford shut down for us Wednesday. I figured that's the most logical spot, because it's close to all downtown hotels, close to the stadium, Union Station(bus/train), easy enough to get to, the ability to even get stragglers and publicity, etc. I can't count the reasons. On the street, there's a great cheap hot dog/hamburger place (Woody's), an Irish pub (and anothre around the corner), a Euro bar, a brew pub and restaurant around the corner, an Italian bar, etc. Taxis will run through there, the bus line is a block away, etc. Stadium is about 5 minutes away by car, maybe 2 miles.

Plus, that's the logical spot for a Tuesday night bash as well.

I know I'm not the official MC or anything, but if what I'm doing is wanted, I think I can put together something pretty cool. We'll take over the city basically. It's still a work in progress though but moving along.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks a lot once again for your work.

The only thing I'll say is most likely, the only people that will be at whatever you guys put together for Tuesday night will be attended by locals only.

Obviously people who are flying into Hartford can post here, but I think most of the American fans we have will be coming from NY or Boston or in between, and they'll only be coming in game day. Just my guess.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    There's nothing wrong with taking over Hartfprd, and flooding the place with US flags.....

4. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course thank you too Monty for doing the most important part, and I'll let you know once I hear back from the city and stuff, but I don't anticipate any problems.

You're probably right about Tuesday, so I'm only talking to the city about doing things for us on gameday. But I'll be around Tuesday night as well at least. After the game I'd imagine we'll keep going as well.

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being that this is one of those one-game weeks with a midweek match date, this is the perfect location considering travel for the European players.

I'll likely be flying up Wednesday afternoon and back out on Thursday morning to minimize time away from work. Would it be smarter to get a hotel by the airport or by downtown?

6. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm relatively sure I'm going (I'm supposed to be on vacation that week). IF I do, I'm probably going to the New Britain Rock Cats game on Tuesday night, and Wednesday I'll be hiking near Middletown and Southbury.

The stadium website said that lots usually open 4 hours before events.

7. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know the difference in cost, because I've never had the need to stay in a hotel near my house. But, if you want to hang out with us after the match, you might be happier downtown. Even if you have time to do some socializing on that afternoon, you might a home base nearby. If you're taking a bus from the airport to downtown, stay downtown. If you're renting a car and won't have time to do anything but see the game, I guess you could stay anywhere that's convenient like near the airport. Traffic after the game, and towards the airport Thursday morning should not be a factor though. The airport's about 25-30 minutes from downtown or the stadium I think.

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grassy-ass.

I won't be renting. Not worth the cost, especially since I intend to be tanked Wednesday night. If things are happening downtown after the match, I'll get somewhere there and use shuttles/buses/cabs to get to and from.

Appreciate the advice. Now to arrange for the time off. :D

9. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The airport is a pretty good ride from downtown with nothing but airport hotels, maybe a Denny's and rental car dropoffs anywhere nearby. I'd recommend staying downtown.