Why Does Japan wear Blue?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Golazo!!, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Golazo!!

Golazo!! Red Card

Jul 1, 2007
    Posted this a while back but it degenerated into another flame war. Looking for answers this time. :)

2. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004
    I made a post back then on various historical accounts and provided various perspective on this matter. So I think that thread went as far as it could. I tend to think that this thread won't be any different as all decent and earnest posts will be ignored/unread while posts which provides you with an opportunity to have a flak will gain all the attention. Thus repeating history.

So, what's the point of starting what is essentially the same all over again. This is ultimately a duplicate thread on an exhausted, inconclusive subject.

3. extremegamer

extremegamer Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I don't know. But there are worse colors out there, such as red.

4. larc-en

larc-en Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Because we are too cool to wear red and white

5. Golazo!!

Golazo!! Red Card

Jul 1, 2007
    So is that the reason? Because everyone else in Asia is wearing red so Japan wants to be the 'cool' kid of Asia and wear blue? makes sense imo.

6. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's actually because the blue gi is a higher seed and wins more. This hasn't always translated to the pitch, but it's a state of mind mate.

7. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    lol, i always thought the sea of japan!

8. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    That might explain why Korea wears red, as the guy wearing red always seems to beat blue in Taekwondo. Which might also explain why Korea doesn't wear blue anymore. Haha.

I always thought that Japan wears blue because they just like the color. Or it could be water. Don't know.

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has something to do with royalty and coats, so desu neeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

10. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Which is exactly why we make sure to wear white when we go to Korea. :D

11. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    Haha. Made me laugh.

12. Retri

Retri New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Torino, Italy
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The first match the Japan NT ever played was against another asian country representatives (whose teams more than likely wore either red or white shirts) at the 1930 Far Eastern Championship Games, therefore they had to pick a different color and they ended up wearing a light blue T-shirt with white neck and the japanese flag embroidered on the chest.

afaik they've always worn either white or blue/light blue and picked red for a very short timeframe during the late 80's when Adidas took over and switched the color of their kits for no apparent reason..

13. Retri

Retri New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Torino, Italy
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'd kill for that "93 shirt. ( @° V°)/

...unfortunately they ain't exactly easy to come by here in Italy. :(

14. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The flag is always one thing I've really liked about the Japan jerseys -- these days it's on the back of the collar of course, but... eh... screw JFA.
    I also really like the pseudo pin-stripes on the current version.

15. Retri

Retri New Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Torino, Italy
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't really like the new shade of blue...it reminds me of the italian "Blu Savoia" way too much and the yellow in there is definately too much, it should've been confined to the JFA emblem/GK away kit (which, by the way, was changed as well to an ugly pseudo-fluo) since it's still Japan and not Sweden. They should've sticked with Samurai Blue/White/Red and the occasional gold in my opinion.

My favourite kits are, in the following order: "93 > "03 > "01 > "97 > "98 (the Mizuno one) > "82

I didn't like the striped one very much and the "06 uniform was just butt-ugly, the problem with Adidas is that they've been running out of ideas for at least a decade (look at the recent Tennis and Euro club stuff...it's got to be the most generic, flavourless and bland design I've ever seen), Japan should switch to Nike just like Marinos and France NT did, we'd get much cooler shirts that way!

16. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    I prefer the 97 and the 02 shirts, but then, those are the two that I own.

17. nxttc

nxttc Member+

Jul 14, 2004
    I don't like how most teams, on the chest, is the football federation's crest, not the national flag or crest. When playing internationally, the teams are not representatives of the federation, but of the country. I would prefer, like Turkey, to have the flag on the front of the shirt.

18. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think Japan's away should be white with a huge red spot in the middle. ;)

19. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    i like the 2000, 2002 and 2005 jerseys, the current jersey is ok, the lines are out of place though.

^goru, i think the red spot should be at the back, and the numerals on covering the redsun

20. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    I didnt mind the 06 one, i thought that was original. At first i hated it but the more I saw it the more I wanted it.
    I like the bland adidas look. I especially liked the 2005 jersey because the 3 stripes faded at the bottom.

I reckon Adidas should do a football jersey competition so fans can send in some recommendations, I mean yeah I like adidas but I have to say some of their jersey design looks abit bluh! Thats why Australia changed to Nike because the colours didn't suit the design.

21. chicagofire278

Apr 21, 2007
    I LOVE the 97 jersey... In hindsight it's pretty ugly but it really takes me back to the 98 world cup, and I remember I would ALWAYS wear that jersey to ALL my practices during that time. haha Good times....