Why Do Students Take More Than 2 Years Of Credits At 2 Year Colleges?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by EvanJ, Feb 1, 2015.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At my job I get to see students' transcripts and sometimes students lose credits because they can transfer at most 64 credits from 2 year colleges. Why would a student take more than 64 credits at a 2 year college in the first place?

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My guess is: bad advising.

EvanJ repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where I work registration must be advisor approved, but plenty of incorrect registration gets approved and happens anyway, so I expect you're right some of the time.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Maybe some of them start out with the goal of an associates' degree and then decide they want to finish out a bachelor's at a 4-year school...

5. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One of the things I advised students to do (as a former youth pastor) when they first went to CC/JC was to explore a bunch of different areas if they didn't really know what they wanted to do or even study. A big part of the reasoning is because it's so much cheaper at that level to try a significant variety of courses and fields. Figure it out there, and then push towards the Associate's and potential Bachelor's degree even if it means some credits don't transfer.