Who's the favorite to win this group ?

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan' started by Flipmode2000, Dec 1, 2017.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Surely Lewa bests both of them fairly easily(?). Lewa is pretty much the definition of a proven difference maker. And unlike Falcao, he isn’t past his prime.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know. Lewa is being outshined by James as the egine of Bayern right now.

And I am not sure Lewa can do it by himself even if he does become a difference maker you depict.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Falcao and Lewa are on en even plane when it comes to the biggest stage.
    James has proven the stage is not too big.
    Falcao is ready to prove he is even better and more of the leader.

4. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Word on that. In fact, Poland's issue is with the rest of the team.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It all may come down to the tactics when accentuating the talents of the difference makers. And that once again is in the favor of Pekerman who has been there done that.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    LOL. Sorry, but in a group that has Lewandowski saying James and Falcao are the best marquee players and difference makers is just ludicrous. James is nowhere as important as Lewandowski is for Bayern and stating Falcao to be better than Lewandowski is just hilarious.

Sadio Mane is just a touch below Lewandowski, but James has 4 goals and 7 assists, while Mane in his 'lesser' 2017/2018 season has 9 goals and 6 assists.

No. No matter how you pull it the the best two players in this group play for Poland and Senegal. Then comes James. Then I would put in Koulibaly. Then maybe Falcao.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    No. Just no.

No. Just an even bigger no.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You obviously have not watched how James has been reborn the last couple months or so at Bayern.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion. You were saying the same thing 4 years ago about the Ivory Coast Hype and meanwhile the Colombian team and players were the ones who rose to the occasion,

4 years later I expect the same.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes and yes.

100% yes since James has played in a World Cup and the other two have not.

I see Falcao a lot like Forlan heading into 2010. A player who was a leader, a great goal scoring threat and the heart and soul of their deep run.

10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I just can't treat you seriously. You can hype up Colombia and say that they are favorites. It a totally valid argument.

But saying Falcao and James are the best players in this group is just so ridiculously untrue

And I didn't hype up Cote d'Ivoire (liar, liar pants on fire). I knew they had a penchant for flopping. The fact they had elite players is a fact that had nothing to do with the fact that Colombia had a better team.

Same as here: Argue all you want that Colombia has the best team, but you're becoming ridiculous arguing they have the two best players. If anyone made a best XI in the group Falcao wouldn't make the cut, while James would only make it, because you could throw Sadio Mane on the wings.

Best GKs? Poland.
    Best central defenders? Hypewise? Koulibaly and a tie between Sanchez and Glik. But in reality the best defenders in the group are Koulibaly and Salif Sane.
    Best full backs? Yeah, probably Colombia, albeit the RB slot is debatable with Senegal (Sabaly) / Poland (Blaszczykowski).
    Best DMs? Senegal
    Best CM? I would go for Zielinski.
    Best AM? Sadio Mane, but the best three would be Cuadrado + Mane + James.
    Best striker? Everyone sane knows this one.

But its not players that win this, but the team. And I would argue Colombia has the best team.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #286 HomietheClown, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    The 2014 threads are available for all of us to see no? You were hyping up the players of Ivory Coast and basically saying they were favorites.

When it comes to marquee players who make a difference for their team. They are the two best at doing that (in my opinion). James has even proven it at the World Cup.

Mane and Lewa are very good players. I am not sure they will be the difference makers at the World Cup though. That remains to be seen.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I said to you a while back in the thread...
    ... within a group like this that most people are saying is pretty even it will probably take creativity and strokes of genius by players to separate from the pack. As we saw in 2014 James was able to do that. I believe Falcao is going to be doing that too which makes Colombia even more deadly.

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Memory is such a faulty thing. Shame that your perception and reality are at a loss. And below the proof! It's a pretty intriguing thing that some of you portray me like someone unreasonable, but when you actually look at what I wrote... I was right :D So once again: LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!

Quotes from me:
    "Ivory Coast's progress will be decided in the first game. If they beat Japan I can't see them not progressing. Whether or not they beat Colombia will be irrelevant."

"Cote d'Ivoire have a doable group with no clear favorites. if they choke - they choke. But third times a charm...
    Besides: The only fading force is Drogba. The rest of the outfield players will be 31 or under apart from the defenders, but defenders are often older and that's not detrimental..."

And my analysis prior to the World Cup:
    Cote d'Ivoire
    The Ivorians remain a big enigma. In qualifying and the Nations Cup they always steamroll through opposition. They also comfortably beat second tier opposition at World Cup games. They have however historically struggled against top tier teams, playing close games, but ultimately falling short. This time around I'm pretty sure they rate they're chances and could just as easily steamroll through the group phase as well as fall short. Somehow I feel they'll come good this time around. Things could have been so much easier for the Ivorians, if they had won the African Cup of Nations last year, as they would have likely been a top 8 ranked team.

Preparations have been lukewarm with a loss to Bosnia (although to be fair the Ivorians played with the reserve team) and a half-hearted 2:1 win of El Salvador. Nonetheless truth be told I would have to say that this Cote d'Ivoire side is the strongest they have sent to the World Cup - Gervinho, Kalou, Yaya Toure, Aurier, Bony, Tiote all in prime form. The ony question being whether Drogba is past it or not (although in friendlies he looked just as good as ever). The main question remains the central back duo, as so far all options seem too slow, mistake prone or both. Serge Aurier is superb defensively and an upgrade from Eboue, but apart from that a lot of questions will be asked at a back...

Another doubt is the coach Lamouchi who is lightweight to the extent that he lets the big players of the team rule in the locker room. Or at least thats what rumours would have you believe.

Their opponents are Japan, a technically adept side with a great attack and an iffy defence. Asia's best chance to actually make it out of the group phase. They have looked impressive in preparation, even though a bit profiglate in front of goal. Not a must win game for Cote d'Ivoire, but if they do win I can't see the African powerhouses not progressing.

GAME 1: Japan - Cote d'Ivoire
    14th June, 22:00 UTC-3 RECIFE
    H2H: 2 losses friendlies in 1993 (Afro-Asian Nations Cup) and 2008 (Kirin Cup) and 1 win (friendly preparation game for World Cup 2010)

Colombia
    has a lot of superb attacking players, great attacking midfielders, great attacking wingbacks, but have looked suspect defensively. They will be missing Falcao, but they guys they have in reserve make this loss seem insignificant. Probably be a very intriguing attack-minded game, possibly for the position of group winner.

GAME 2: Colombia - Cote d'Ivoire 19th June, 13:00 UTC-3 BRASILIA
    H2H: never met before

Finally Greece - obviously by far the best defensive team on the group, but honestly they are the prime European candidates to go three and out. Europe as a whole struggles outside of their continent and I can't see Greece doing much here, as even their packed defence is just too lightweight for the firepower on show in this group.

GAME 3: Greece - Cote d'Ivoire 24th June, 17:00 UTC-3 FORTALEZA
    H2H: never met before

All in all, Cote d'Ivoire are expected to get out of this group, but it remains to be seen. Last chance saloon for them. The Ivorians will undoubtedly fancy their chances though.

Dude. They may not have World Cup experience. But did you check out Lewandowski national team impact in the past two years.

I'm done. You argument in this aspect is ludicrous. And will remain so.

14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yes, because only Colombia has players that have proven over the years to possess a stroke of genius... LOL.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have seen Poland play which is why even the fans around here (Chicago) are saying they are not favorites.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They have the duo that I see doing it in this group. yes. (obviously) :D

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is not a ludicrous argument when you take into consideration everything I have said in this thread (which is a lot)
    There are two play makers I believe will be the difference in this Group. And the best Manager in this group will make sure they shine brighter than the other stars.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I remember us having a conversation about who the favorite is and you listing the players on the Ivory coast team and how their quality of players were better.
    The post you bring up did show that you came to your senses about Colombia being the favorites but I am talking about months before the tournament when you and others were making it seem like the Group was so even. When eventually Colombia proved it was not even at all.

19. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    damn that was a long analysis of Ivory Coast! (i liked it)
    Hmm i remember from that team, i thought they should advance from that group but that squad was 4 years to old. But maybe it was just Drogba like you say,
    But i think they was better 2006 and 2010 but tougher groups.

20. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Colombia and Ivory Coast was a very competitive match, one of the best during 2014 group play, IMO. The Ivorians actually had the better of possession 55%-45%, and shots/shots on goal (15-11, 12-8). What appeared to separate the sides was the lack of focus of Ivory Coast at times, particularly in their match against Greece. All they needed was a draw to go through, but a horrible mental error led to Greece's first goal, and then a penalty kick for Greece at the stroke of midnight sent the Ivorians home.

I remember throwing my shoe at the TV when Greece scored that penalty, as I can't stand how Greece plays, and because advancing to R16 probably meant they would get an easier draw for the 2018 World Cup. They did get an easy draw, and ended up with a playoff berth, but fortunately that's where their luck ran out, and we won't be subjected to their cynical tactics in Russia.

Anyway, I disagree that Colombia was head and shoulders above Ivory Coast. The two sides were pretty even IMO, at least against each other.

Kamtedrejt, vancity eagle and zahzah repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #296 HomietheClown, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    I never said that Colombia was head and shoulders ahead in that particular game. Although up 2-0 I thought it could be even worse until Gervinho scored that Golazo and made things a bit nervy.

But in the Group standings Colombia ended up with an undefeated perfect record and ahead of everyone definitively. Which was the opposite of what many around here thought would happen.

Maybe this is the year it happens and this Group is all even and Colombia does not advance. That is something I would not be surprised to see in theory.
    I just don't think it will happen that way assuming the team is healthy and the manager does his job.

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    We each have our own biases and, at the end of the day, those biases affect how we both see things and present them. In my case, for instance, but for my biases, my picks for this group would follow conventional wisdom and the general way these teams are ranked. In which case, I would say Colombia and Poland are favored to advance, Senegal have a chance, and Japan are outsiders and have the least chance in this group.

On the other hand, we all know that conventional wisdom doesn't always give us a correct view of what will happen either. In World Cup 2014, for instance, the unanimous pick of all experts whose predictions I looked at was for Algeria not to advance from their group. The overwhelming majority had them finish even behind South Korea and 4th in their group. It was the same thing with Costa Rica, who unlike Algeria, had a tough group, where those picks might have even been more justified. I don't believe there is a single pundit who had picked Costa Rica to advance from their group, much less take the top position and make it the quarterfinals.

Knowing that there are almost always surprises, and given that football isn't really a sport where either results are always dictated by "objective criteria" nor the differences at this level all that significant at the end of the day, in a group like this where all the teams - including Colombia but also Poland and Senegal and, of course, Japan - have a lot to prove still, its natural for people to tilt the balance in favor of the sides they prefer to see do well. In my case, I like to see Japan do well but, ultimately, my biggest and most significant bias relates to 3 things: first, for my team (Iran) to as well as it can; second, for the results to begin to lessen the dominance of Conmebol and UEFA and show greater parity between the confederations and, finally, (c) all things being equal, to want to see the team that played better and was more "deserving", win.

Paul Calixte and zahzah repped this.
  23. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC

Dude, by saying that James and Falcao are at the level of Levandowski you've shown yourself to be a complete homer and a soccer dilettante. Falcao is in a completely lower league at this point, maybe, just maybe making top twenty in the world as a forward, and that's being generous. James is OK, even very good at times, such as during the last WC, and when in top form may be one of the best midfielders in the group, but Lewandowski is Bayern's and the group's star player, when Bayern make a starting list Lewandowski is the first name to be written in (and has been for the last two years, and prior to that only Neuer and Lahm were more important to the team ), while James is an afterthought. He is very fortunate that Heynckes took over at Bayern and revived his career, if it weren't for him and the rest of Bayern squad supporting him James wold probably be known as a flash in the pan, someone who had a couple of great games at the World Cup and fell into obscurity.

It is James who needs to prove himself at this World Cup, not Lewandowski, who has been consistently excellent over the last five year or so.

themanlarry and zahzah repped this.
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am saying within the context of their teams' impact.
    Simply put:
    I have seen James lead a team to the World Cup Quarter -finals. I think he will play well in 2018 too if he continues to gain his form and stay healthy at Bayern.

Falcao was the main reason Colombia qualified in 2014, led the team in goals and was the difference maker in qualifying that cycle.
    He is now getting back his form and was a leader of a team that went to the semis of the Champions league last season and is playing well this season. This is his chance to prove to everyone how good he is (and it more than likely will be his last chance since I don't see him playing in Qatar assuming Colombia qualifies for that one.)
    He is undoubtedly the player I see leading this team to victories if he is healthy..

Lewa has to prove to me that he can lead his team on a deep run in the World Cup. I will be skeptical of him until that happens.
    Not to say he is a bad player because he obviously is fantastic.

25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    In terms of best players in the group its obviously Lewandowski as no 1, then most would argue Sadio Mane.

Lewandowski: 16 goals and 2 assists in 10 World Cup qualifying games.