Who's next?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't MLS abolishing HG territories in the near future? Is having a year or two of HG rights over a patch of land about halfway between the two cities really worth fighting over?

2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It likely has more to do about market rights, and less so about Academy territories. The San Jose Earthquakes organization likely considers themselves Northern California's MLS team.

Or, MLS maybe has backtracked on eliminating Home Grown Territorial Rights for the foreseeable time being.

3. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tweet expressly referenced "youth territory rights" which I assume means HG territory.

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That said, because of a quirk of physical geography, there is a fairly large chunk of Northern California that is within the SF/SJ/Oakland CSA but considered part of the Sacramento media market. (When driving between Sacramento and San Jose I get only Sacramento radio stations for 75% of the distance.) I could easily see significant disagreements on how much compensation San Jose is entitled to for loss of market territory.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You need a better car radio. Traveling between Sacramento and San Jose, I like to listen to KPFA from Berkeley. That's in Portland's territory, right? :)

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on the almost deal.

The team, of course, won't confirm anything until MLS says they can. Not quite done.

Plus, St. Louis had the friendly with Uruguay yesterday.

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    When NYCFC joined the league they had to make a payment to NYRB for sharing the market. When FCC joined, there has been no mention of any special payments to Columbus for peeling off SW Ohio from their market.

TrueCrew repped this.
  8. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Do you know how much NYCFC paid?

I wonder if the owner of the Crew at the time FCC was announced was compensated one way or another...

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I think it was 25 mil, and I believe it was taken from their expansion fee. With FCC, we don't know if they paid a fee and if so whether any cut Columbus got went to Precourt or the Haslam/Edwards group.

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrueCrew and aetraxx7 repped this.
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thaaats pretty interesting

12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Vegas resident here. This is old news and was over well before current Vegas MLS talks.

That being said. We’re coming for all pro sports. We’re Vegas and we’re awesome.

13. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Take your time young man" Having an extra year to prepare isn't going to hurt anyone. Every team that was "promoted" Orlando, Minnesota and Cincinnati all got shellacked their first year and the later two all went up a year before they should have.

14. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Meh. There really isn't much a team can do until the expansion draft that really affect the team. Sure, they can name a coach, GM, and maybe do some scouting before that, but there really isn't a benefit to that much more than 6 months before the expansion draft.

Basically, what's the point of building a roster of you don't have competitive games to play? What players of quality would want to sign for a team that doesn't have scheduled games to play?

15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more about having the proper amount of time to hire a competent FO (GM/SD, TD, HC, Scouts, Academy Director, Academy Coaches, etc.). The run up has more to do to making sure that the organization is setup for success. Despite what many folks would like to believe, there is quite a gulf between USL (& NASL when it existed) and MLS. One needs to look no further than the struggles of Orlando, Minnesota United and now FC Cincy as proof. One can also look at the early struggles of Portland and Montreal as well. Vancouver has largely struggled for their entire MLS tenure since making the jump.

VBCity72 repped this.
  16. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    There is truth here, but how much lead up is needed? There are going to be growing pains for any new expansion team, regardless of lead time. They are going to have to build stuff. It's going to take a couple of years to get everything done.

Some of this stuff has to be done by a playing team. You can't evaluate players, coaches, etc if you aren't playing games.

Heck, as a Cinci fan, there is no way I would blame the short lead time for the team's performance this year. We came out hot, and won our third game. We started out in fire. The pressure of being on the league took out our coach, and we had some unfortunate injuries. Regardless of how much lead time an expansion team has, it won't have depth. We had a couple of stars without proven backups. We should have a number of veterans next year.

Sacramento starting in 2021 or 2022 is not going to make a huge difference in how the team performs. They may struggle if they start play in 2020, but they have most of the stuff you mention already.

17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not get why MLS would not want 2021 if it is doable. It would keep the # of teams even for another year.

I guess if they think #30 will not be ready for 2022, then I guess the odd number coming a bit early is not that big a deal. Still, you'd think odd number years would want to be minimized.

And while ORL, Minny, and Cincy struggled on the field the first year, they had excellent attendance. Aside from Chicago, Seattle, and Atlanta, all the expansion teams have struggled. I do not think the amount of run up time is this issue.

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we may commence with the Charlotte/Vegas jostling. And hopefully Phoenix gets it together to make it fun.

19. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I'd like to remind our friends in Sacramento to breath. Given the conflicting reports, it seems things are coming to a resolution one way or another.

20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Sacramento certainly deserves it, after this wait. Crack an early beer...

21. midfielder467

midfielder467 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Club:
    Central Coast Mariners
    From Australia I am cheering on Sacramento ... they seem to have coped it in the neck a few times...

BTW Umina Beach if you wanta google where I live and my team is the Central Coast Mariners...

https://www.ccmariners.com.au/

OWN(yewu)ED and falvo repped this.
  22. JmThms

JmThms Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Vegas has that entertainment mecca, big money, travel destination dimension going for it. Something tells me MLS wants Vegas. I'm a Vegas resident too.

Rahbiefowlah and aetraxx7 repped this.
  23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i got a feeling it will be Charlotte for 30.

I will NOT be surprised if afterwards there is a double-dip on the desert southwest of Vegas and Phoenix for 31 and 32

aetraxx7 repped this.
  24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How will the conferences shake out in that case?