Who will replace Ventura ??

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by ITALIA1982, Nov 13, 2017.

1. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ancelotti wants Pirlo in Italy staff
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Carlo Ancelotti has asked to both his son and Andrea Pirlo in his staff if he takes over the Italy job, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

The Coach had a meeting with the FIGC representatives this week in Rome and will give them a firm reply at the end of this month.

The latest reports suggest that Ancelotti laid down some conditions for taking the role and that includes having his son Davide – who already caused some waves at Bayern Munich – and former Italy hero Pirlo in his coaching staff.

Ancelotti would be more expensive than Roberto Mancini of Zenit, but even the former Inter boss still commands over €5m per year wages.

Rosay and falvo repped this.
  3. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd even let him put his dog on staff as the assistant...anything he wants! make it happen FIGC

Calcio Pauly and Rosay repped this.
  4. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When I first heard this rumor, I assumed it was Ancelotti dog whistling the big clubs to come and get him but this might have legs

calabrese8 repped this.
  5. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If he's hired looks like we will be going with a 4-3-3 most likely.

I can't see him busting out the Milan Christmas tree formation with our lack of match winners in the mid at the moment.

6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Honestly I can't imagine what Carletto does with this crop of players but he's the best possible choice.

One thing for sure is that he won't let any "block" of veterans determine player selections, tactics or formations. He would be a real boss

7. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly. I really hope Italy doesn't mess this opportunity up

8. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Didn't realize Carletto lives in Vancouver. My goal this summer is to track him down and beg him to manage the National Team

Rosay repped this.
  9. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    one of my buddies went up to him on New Years and begged for that and he just smiled and said we will see.... they saw him up in whistler village.

Rosay, johnny6 and UdineseFan98 repped this.
  10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I believe the wife is from Vancouver. Taking charge of the NT would allow him to spend time there as opposed to the daily grind of coaching a club. This decision could be part of a quality of life choice.

Rosay, Midfield General and UdineseFan98 repped this.
  11. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The Sun pushing Ancelotti for the job?

13. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They’re saying the FIGC and Mancini have struck a deal

falvo repped this.
  14. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh boy. I'm not completely against Mancini but if he goes full retard like some previous coaches we're going to be stuck in a shit pattern for a long time.

15. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What do you consider going full retard?

16. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lippi 2.0 squad selections, Prandelli's constant formation changes, iffy squad selection and playing a few players out of position, everything Ventura did. We haven't had the brightest coaches in just a short history. Donadoni honestly didn't do too bad, Conte also did pretty good considering what we were working with.

17. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With Mancini we get more of the same. He's typical of what you can expect from Italian managers in terms of approach and selection. But I guarantee he won't be worse than Ventura.

Positives is that he will reintegrate Balo back into the squad. He will put emphasis on the backline and not conceding goals as the main priority.

Negatives is that he has always had a reputation of being a hardass and has a history of bust-ups with players. He was completely despised by everyone at City.

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/former-...l-out-with-roberto-mancini-at-the-club-145523

Reminds me Skinner from the Simpson's

[​IMG]

18. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mancini might surprise us. I feel like he is one of those managers that will do better with the national team than he does for clubs. He has had some success with clubs but also failed at times as well. He is the type of manager that is very intense, and players get tired out. Its bad for a club, but for the national team, considering how much they meet, it is good. Kind of like Conte although their styles of approaches are different. One of the reasons why Conte was very successful with us.

However though, with Mancini we will definitely see more defending and less attacking. Not a problem for me if it works, but its always nice to see us smash teams (something I doubt we will see under Mancini). He is very catenaccio type coach. I love Catenaccio but it only works if we have good enough defenders. I believe we might, but we'll have to see.

UdineseFan98 repped this.
  19. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #94 Calcio Pauly, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Nereo Rocco's Catennacio...catennacio...catennaccio...what a sweet sounding word, built on the foundation of a beautiful Austrian invention called the deadbolt chain system, hasn't been used in nearly 40 years but somehow it's magical name still tickles our ears whenever a team tightens up and defends.

We could have used some in the qualifiers, btw.

Italy's national team looked really good when they made it their own in the 70's and 80's. The perfected Zona Mista won in 1982. Great attacking flair, fairly impenetrable defense. Not resembling anything close to what we see today when teams "park the bus".

A liberated man
    collects garbage that falls through
    elastic recoil destroys

indestructible and Pietro Calcio repped this.
  20. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #95 Pietro Calcio, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    I absolutely despise the word catenaccio for 2 reasons. 1) Because it's still commonly and negatively associated with Italian defensive playing styles ( really just Italian football in general all too often ) . And while this is applied to mostly Italy every other team , who just parks the bus , gets a pass ( while also getting praise)??? And 2 ) because Catenaccio in it's original and pure form bears no resemblance to todays shitty park the bus tactics , that shitty teams use all too often today , while they pray to scrape through the group phase only to get KO'd the very next round. Now playing strict defensive and great offensive football , while seizing great opportunities to work the ball up the field and seizing the opportunity to strike on the counter , DOES NOT equal that fvcking outdated non applicable term. So everyone needs to stop using it. Please.

Catenaccio in it's original form could never....ever... be used in today's game and hasn't resembled , in the least , the way Italy and Italian teams have played for at least the last 45 years. Also , as you said Pauly , Catennacio wasn't invented by the Italians . It was first drawn up by the Austrians , who used this tactic successfully in the 1930s before their national team was absorbed by Nazi Germany. They were called the " Wunder " team or something like that , right? And not only did their national team play that way but also some of their domestic teams in Austria? Am I recalling all this correctly?

Midfield General and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sad that the great Italian defender and/or defenses don’t exist all that much anymore. When you look at the blown out scores in the CL that Italian clubs concede , you have to ask what happened to the defenders? I rarely remember Italian teams getting more than two goals scored on them. Getting scored upon three times was rare. Serie A still emphasizes defense even with the over abundance of foreigners but I wish we could get some more players like Baresi, Nesta , Tassotti, Costacurta, Oddo, Panucci, Cannavaro, Matrix , Maldini and especially Ferrara. I don’t think Mancini can develop or even find these types of players again as long as the clubs are continuing to employ foreigners instead of Italians.

22. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I forgot to list a player that I miss....

24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why can't it be used in today's game? Isn't that what 2006 Italy used in its original form? Or again was that just defensive tactics that many people associated Catenaccio with?

25. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    not at all... we took it to teams in 2006. Still one of my favourite games to watch of all time is the semis vs Germany... there was such beautiful flow.. chance for chance back and forth.

Trappatoni before Lippi definitely used Catenaccio... he was the master of trying to sit on a early 1-0 lead.