Who will our next sponsor be ?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TRUJDUB, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I saw a pic on Twitter showing Atlanta having a sleeve sponsor. Can’t remember who the company was.

2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    If they can't sell the jersey sponsorship, they should donate the space to a charity. It will help a good cause and the team will at least get a tax deduction.

3. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Haslams ain’t hurting for money. They just splashed a lot of cash for Zelarayan. Once Dee starts telling us they can’t afford new players then I’ll worry about sponsorship. Until then it’s all just money in their pocket or not.

4. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give it some (more) time.
    I think we’ll get a sponsor.
    If not, definitely should have a charity on the shirt.

Tobias C repped this.
  5. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, one thing that no one is talking about is the claims Precourt made about a lack of local corporate support. If Bez/Lyons can't get a primary sponsor for this season we'll see a significant uptick in the amount of pundits/haters/trolls claiming that this market can't support a franchise and that the business is already failing.

At this point, I don't care who it is or how much they pay, Bez needs to put someone's logo on our new shirt ahead of the Feb 5th reveal. Anything is better than a blank jersey.

Draghignazzo, catfish9, Belgrano and 3 others repped this.
  6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peloton is based in NY, though Pelotonia is a big thing here.

Think Rogue has the cash?

7. AJStank

AJStank Member

Columbus Crew
    Mar 22, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if several area companies provide funding for the sponsorship under the umbrella of Pelotonia (Columbus based non-profit, not connected to Peloton)? Pelotonia’s biggest benefactors are many of the companies we imagine to be potential jersey sponsors. I think this scenario could be one of the creative ideas” Doug Ulman is alluding to.

LaMacchia repped this.
  8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would certainly be unique.

9. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although Peloton could provide us with some viral marketing opportunities. Imagine a young wife waking up on Crewsmas to find her husband has gotten her a Peloton with her Crew season tickets. She enters a luxury box with a single Peloton in front of a glass window with the perfect view of the field and documents her season-long journey to wellness while watching the Crew. Cut to the end of the season with the Crew lifting the MLS Cup. She and her husband jump for joy, then plop down on the couch to watch a video of her season watching the Crew while riding a Peloton.

TKyle repped this.
  10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Or the season ends in tears and the wife leaves her husband to drink gin at the bar with her girlfriends.

aetraxx7, song219, Tobias C and 4 others repped this.
  11. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming she left her husband because he bought her a peloton for Christmas without her directly expressing interest in one or even eluding to wanting one....or even needing any fitness device.

DGA57v2 repped this.
  12. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Didn't we sign the sponsor deal for Acura fairly late and we didn't have them on the jersey for the first few games?

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TrueCrew repped this.
  14. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Ok that makes sense. I know it happened real fast and maybe there was speculation that they wouldn't be on the jerseys in time. Either way...clock's ticking...

15. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not heard anything lately from my Applebee's waitress so wondering if corporate told her to be quiet as they finish up negotiations.

16. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Looking back through the rumor mill during that timeframe, it appears the powers that be were very tight-lipped or the Acura deal wasn't finalized until a couple days prior to the 2/24 announcement. I'm only seeing rumors starting up on 2/23 although IM alluded to knowing it prior to the announcement of the press conference.

going off that quote, it would seem the same timeframe is still possible for this go around. We're at the "didn't seem possible a month ago" time. Check back mid February for hopefully good news on more $$$ coming in the door.

TyphonInc repped this.
  17. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone is missing the obvious answer. About 2.5 years ago, Warren Buffett through Berkshire Hathaway bought 38.5% of a certain national truckstop company and is slated to be the majority stakeholder in 2023.

I feel like this is a good opportunity for one of Haslam's hands to hold the other. Gets us into the new stadium with solid financial footing, and allows the next deal to be even bigger when Haslam no long controls the thing.

If not that, I'd love for Wendy's to get back in the game in a BIG way, but that's unlikely.

18. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this means the new stadium will have a Dairy Queen, I'm all for it.

crewfan_in_columbus and crew2112 repped this.
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Fruit of the Loom?

20. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Don’t you mean BIGGIE way?

21. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No rumors yet ? How disappointing

22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, I doubt we'll get any serious rumors before a new sponsor is announced.

Second, last time around, Acura wasn't announced as our sponsors until Feb. 24.

I'm anxious to hear which company it is, too. But I don't l think lack of news means very much at this point.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  23. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The February 5th kit launch event is 9 days away. We are currently the only (non-expansion) franchise without a jersey sponsor.

I hate to keep saying this, but the optics are important.

TKyle, TRUJDUB and TrueCrew repped this.
  24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd quibble with the use of the term "important."

Why does it really matter? I mean, sure, it would be better if we had a jersey sponsor before that date. But what will it really matter if we get one lined up for the start of the season? What substantive negative effect will it have to not have one on Feb. 5?

25. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the first thing that comes to mind is when all of the players line up and everyone but Columbus and Miami have a big corporate logo emblazoned across their chests, it'll not just look out of place but will raise questions. Namely about the availability of corporate support for those franchises.

I do agree, to a point, that having a sponsor on opening day is the most important deadline.