who will get promoted ?

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by bleu_is_da_color, Dec 28, 2008.

1. bleu_is_da_color

bleu_is_da_color New Member

May 14, 2007
    USA....
    who do u guys think will get rpomoted?

2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolves, Reading, Birmingham.

Maybe Sheffield United to take one of them out in the playoffs... but those are the three to battle it out for the two automatic spots methinks...

3. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Wolves and Reading will be the top two.

Birmingham will be in the playoffs, with who, I have no idea. Cardiff look good at the moment, but could do their usual post-christmas slump if they lose their loan players, Burnley are having a little wobble at the moment while Palace have started to put a bit of a run together. I don't think there'll be a clear favourite for them whoever gets there.

4. mas cambios

mas cambios New Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wolves and Birmingham to go up automatically. Reading should be in the play offs then take your pick from any number of teams.

Would like to see Cardiff and Swansea in the mix.

5. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I think Reading and Birmingham get the automatic spots and Wolverhampton gets promoted through the playoffs after finishing 3rd. I'll predict Cardiff offers the greatest threat for the 3rd spot, along with Crystal Palace and Sheffield United (but only if they don't end up selling Beattie).

6. shauniemaloney13

shauniemaloney13 New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    wolves or reading will come in 1st. I can see Wolves slipping up in April or March. And the playoff spots are up for grab.

7. zakinator

zakinator New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    South Morang
    These teams have a chance of getting promoted

Wolves
    Reading
    Birmingham

8. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    As a season ticket holder I can say that Cardiff are the only team to have impressed me this season at our place. Looks like 2 from the top 3 at the moment but Wolves being Wolves, I expect them to balls it all up at some point!

9. UShornet

UShornet Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolves
    Reading

via playoffs: Birmingham v Cardiff with Birmingham taking it.

10. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd love to see Burnley have a decent go this year.

Two from Reading/Wolves/Birmingham going up automatically.

The one who misses out, plus three from Burnley, Sheff Utd, Cardiff, Preston, Palace, maybe QPR in the playoffs. I don't think Wednesday have much of a shout this year.

11. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading wins the league with Wolverhampton slipping up in the latter months. Through the playoffs, I think Cardiff will beat Birmingham at Wembley.

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    something tells me that Wolves will eventually blow it... Reading + Brum to go up automatically... in a swift move across the border, Rangers + Celtic will apply for the premiership and be accepted... .4 premiership clubs will be relegated including Spurs, Newcastle + the new Kaka-led Man City....

Remember, you heard it here first :D

13. blue nose uk

blue nose uk Guest

Obviously I'd like to see Birmingham go up but the way we're playing at the moment i really can't see it :(

14. ScotsLyon

ScotsLyon New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Reading and Birmingham,
    But PNE might get there through the play offs.
    I was at the Burnley game today and Preston looked good with the 2-1 win :)

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's odd. The top three look clear of the pack, and to outsiders better than the rest, yet fans of all three seem to be saying how badly their teams are playing.

16. ranny fash

ranny fash Member

May 18, 2005
    notts
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    We have played everyone in the league, and Wolves were BY FAR the best team we have played. However, I can see them slipping up somehow because they are Wolves. Reading and Wolves (just) for me, with one from Brum, Cardiff, Blades, or Palace to go with them. Birmingham are too workmanlike and lack creativity and I think this will deny them a top 2 place. We held them quite easily at the City Ground.

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolves are starting to slip... they were miles ahead and now they have gone 4 games without a win... ok, it's not exactly a crisis but now only 5 points ahead.. they need to watch it if they are not going to get caught. At this point though, I do think it will be Wolves, Brum + Reading in the top three but just not sure of the order.

18. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Reading will still win the league IMO, despite playing them off the park at the Liberty last week they've just got too much quality in their squad not to do it. Birmingham were godawful in both games against us, but we only managed to get a point out of them, which presumably is why they're up there.

19. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Last night's match between the supposed best that the championship has to offer was appalling, with things like passing and moving being a forgotten art. Without big spending in the summer, promotion could well be a poisoned chalice for for the lucky 3 who make it.

To be quite frank, I'd rather see us stay down and flog our high earners and brings the kids like Kelly, Karacan and Pearce through the ranks, instead of enduring a dismal 25 point season in the premier. The novely wears off pretty quick, and it becomes like moving into a new upscale neighbourhood and finding all your new neighbours are a right bunch of wankers.

20. norton65ca

norton65ca New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Victoria BC Canada
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd like to see Wolves, Palace and Burnley go up...
    But I think realistically, It'll be Wolves, Reading and perhaps one of Birmingham and maybe QPR with all the available money at their disposal.

21. ranny fash

ranny fash Member

May 18, 2005
    notts
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ha ha nice analogy! I'd have thought Reading would have a half decent chance of staying up tho, with the team you have. How good are your youngsters?

I think if we went up at the end of next season it would probably precede a stunningly inept single season of premiership failure. Think Derby*. However, given maybe an extra season of consolidation and building of momentum, premiership survival would be far more likely.

Cardiff are in with a shout - they are in stunning form, and just beat us 2-0.

*ha ha ha

22. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the team we have is weaker than the one that went down. That we are second says more about the quality of the championship then the strength of our team. Two or three signings could make a huge difference, but I think that unless you are good enough to go up with a points tally in the high 90s, you'll be relying on existing premiership teams having a nightmare to stay up. Mind you, if this season is anything to go by, then about half of the division is having a nightmare.

As for the kids, Jem Karacan, Alex Pearce, Julian Kelly and James Henry have all played in the first team this season without looking out of place. Watching teams without any senior players score 5 past Blue Square South teams on consecutive weekends pre-season was impressive. I certainly wouldn't want to see all eleven playing in the first team, but half of them could do a job in this division.

I think Derby needed rather more than an extra season of momentum and consolidation. Going up before the team is ready isn't really an option any more.

23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw... turning our attention from the bottom of the table to the top... anyone see the three teams in the relegation zone?

.... Charlton, Southampton + Watford!

Amazing... three teams who were in the premiership just a couple of seasons back (well I guess Watford not as established).... but it would be amazing if these three were to to down. How things change!

24. ranny fash

ranny fash Member

May 18, 2005
    notts
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Agreed, you need to toughen up and get yourself ready for different types of test before you have a chance of surviving. However, if Hull stay up then it's encouraging! Are Reading ready for the top division again? I would doubt anyone except yourselves, Wolves, and Brum could possibly cope up there next season. Cardiff look good but I dunno...

Good to hear you have good youngsters coming through, like we do. I doubt we could put an 11 out in a league match though.

25. ranny fash

ranny fash Member

May 18, 2005
    notts
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Leeds are down there now, in recent seasons City, Shef Wed and Forest have all been down there as well, so the teams down there are geting more used to playing 'big' clubs in the league.

Charlton have suddenly hit form though, while some other teams just above them have really tanked (Watford, Soton, Norwich). It's almost totally chaotic and unpredidictable down there at the bottom of the Championship!
    I am pretty sure we (Forest) will survive - we have a little more quality than the other teams around us, and a bit more spirit about the way we play.