Who will CONMEBOL get to fill the 3 empty spots in Copa Libertadores 2010?

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by minus, May 12, 2009.

1. destruktion

destruktion BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 30, 2006
    Woodland,CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second that after the meeting in Bahamas June 2nd and 3rd they''ll be back.
    Rememeber Conmebol is not just losing the Mexican market there also losing the United States market also.

2. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They'd just lose good part of it but they wouldn't lose it altogether, then again there's other markets that could be exploited besides that one too, and probably mexican market proper alone doesn't do much.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Assign one spot permanentely for Flamengo :D

4. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

I am really surprised their not in it cause their one of the biggest popular clubs from Rio De Janeiro, I don't know seems some of you Brasilians favor Copa Brasil over this internationally known Copa Libertadores I scrtach my head about this?

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We're the only legitimate conference that has only ten countries. UEFA has a lot more, so do Africa and Asia. it's a very different situation, as they have to accomodate too many clubs. Look at UEFA especially, it has so many minnow leagues that even Champions League is a joke in the early rounds.

I think while Conmebol is most competitive from top to bottom, having top Concacaf teams does make the tournament even stronger. I have no problem with having guests.

Ideally from a football standpoint I'd like to see the the top Concacaf clubs from different countries competing to get into Copa Libertadores. But in practice if we did that we'd probably end up with all the Mexican teams anyway, with the possible exception of Saprissa occasionally.

And anyway, the sponsors want the Mexican and US Latino/Mexican market, so in terms of money it makes more sense to go directly with Mexican clubs.

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Perhaps you misunderstand the Copa do Brasil.

From its inception, it granted its winner a spot in the following year's Libertadores. And in 2001, CBF changed the rules so that teams in the Libertadores wouldn't participate in it. That's why there has never been a "treble" winner in Brazil.

And, as the Brasileirao (Campeonato Brasileiro) adopted a by-points, no-playoffs system, as per the English Premiership, it became even more competitive. So only the top 4 teams get berths in the following year's Libertadores, and it's very hard to finish in the top 4. Thus, the Copa do Brasil, despite its duration and difficulty, is seen as a "shortcut" to the Libertadores.

You may wish to note that certain powerhouses in Brazil - such as my own SPFC, Brazil's most successful Libertadores participant (3 titles) - has never won the Copa do Brasil. We reached the final match once. Santos, also a Libertadores champion and champions of Brazil in 2002 and in 2004, has not won it either, and neither has Vasco da Gama, 1997 Libertadores winner and 4-time Brazilian champion.

So, if Flamengo and other teams are in Copa do Brasil right now, it's because, well, they have to compete, and because they want to reach a spot in the Libertadores withouth worrying about how well they'll do in the Brasileirao. Sport did that in 2008, so it didn't have to secure a top spot in the 2008 Brasileirao. Ditto for Fluminense in 2007 and Flamengo in 2006.

But Copa do Brasil winners need to remember a stark fact: in 20 editions, only twice did the Copa do Brasil champion win the Libertadores the following year: Gremio in 1994/1995 and Cruzeiro in 1996/1997. These were already big-name teams with previous Libertadores successes. Corinthians, Fluminense, etc., have never won the Libertadores, and Internacional won the Libertadores only in the 21st Century - despite its earlier Copa do Brasil success in 1992.

7. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Okay thanks for clearing that up, now let me ask you something else. The Flamengo team that played and lost to Club America in Copa Libertadores would you say that that Flamengo team was one of their strongest in a while or they just got lucky to be were they were at, also note that Club America team that beat Flamengo was at the bottom of the Mexican League that season. I am not trying to say one club is better than the other just want to get your info thats all thanks.

8. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It was one of their better squads this decade. That game was their coach final game (Joel Santana went to coach South Africa's NT), so they made the big mistake with throwing a party for him before the game vs America. I guess they thought they had the series wrapped up after the result in Mexico, so it came back to bite them in the ass.

9. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Has CONMEBOL ever thought about seriously having 2-3 invitees from Central America to expand their market there?

The Interclubes UNCAF, used for qualifying to the CONCACAF Cup until 2008, has always pulled decent crowds. If the goal of the tournament was to qualiry for the Sudamericana, I guarantee you the stadiums will be packed, a lot of people will be watching the games, and interest in the South will grow.

In Costa Rica, for example, there are always groupsof people that support Boca, Flamengo, etc. setting up meetings to watch games through our newspapers. Why not take advantage of it?

By no means I want to see CONCACAF and CONMEBOL combined into one but this sort of thing will be beneficial for both parties. While Central America, as a whole, is roughly 36% the population of Mexico, we have a decent representation in the USA. Not to mention, more money for CONMEBOL and more competition for us.

A group phase in the Copa Sudamericana makes little sense. Simply make it:

Defending Champion = 1
    Argentina = 6
    Bolivia = 2
    Brazil = 8
    Chile = 2
    Colombia = 3
    Ecuador = 2
    Paraguay = 2
    Peru = 2
    Uruguay = 3
    Venezuela = 2
    Mexico = 2
    UNCAF = 2

Now, I'm not saying that there will be a 36% increase in income from it but who does not want a 30%+ increase in their pockets?

10. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they just got lucky.

America was at the bottom of the table because they were concentrating in the Libertadores!! Most South American teams have two rosters, one for the Libertadores and the other for their league. Maybe America couldn't handle both at the same time. My question to you is has a mexican side ever won the Libertadores? I Know a mexican side has won the Sudamericana but that tournament isn't Libertadores, its equivalent to how the CONCACAF Champions cup to the new CONCACAF CL. Champions Cup was not a hard tournament anybody could win that cup, compared to the CCL which is a better structured tournament (harder). Mexican clubs are good but they are not all that either, they bring the money, but I haven't seen them in a libertadores final. So far this tourney has been a SA final, mexican teams are good but they aren't at the South American level.

11. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    oh boy,you really are full of it, you dont even know how mexican teams have performed in the copa libertadores and yet you dare to criticize us, first of all, yes a mexican team has played a copa libertadores final,CRUZ AZUL, and they lost that final to boca juniors in penalties after a global 1-1 (and many times we have been to semifinals,and we played libertadores just for about 10 years),so there goes,youre,"you havent seen a mexican team in a final" ignorant statment,and the vast majority of mexican teams has done good in the libertadores and in the mexican league at the same time, because mexican teams have enough money to afford two or even three good rosters(ameica sucked that particular time in the mexican league because lets face it they are america), so stop spreding youre ignorant comments,cause you dont know nothing about the copa libertadores or the mexican teams for that matter.

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I agree. That Flamengo squad was solid and it won 4-2 in Mexico, taking advantage of the away goals rule. I personally predicted Flamengo would cruise into the quarterfinals - but they got complacent.

13. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Yup I thought it was pointless for Club America to even play the return leg in Rio seeing how much they had to come back with the goal differential. Next thing I know America leveled the game and Cabanas sealed it. This is what makes Copa Libertadores a beautiful tournament because you never know what will happen. Just like what Chivas did to Boca Juniors in 05 and they also got the best of Sao Paulo at the Muarbi sorry if I mispelled it

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Morumbi.

Official name: Estadio Cicero Pompeu de Toledo.

15. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    What? who? when? where? :eek::confused:

16. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My team Junior Barranquilla when they went they had two teams playing, one for the season and the other for Libertadores. Occasionally the forwasrds will play in both at times.

Wow guy, but one final!! ONE!! I missed that little final, but one team only. Well since i started watching libertadores in 2002 there hasn't been any!! This year Chivas and San Luis, would have been eliminated in their first leg!!

17. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hahahah you are an ingnorant,hahahha you dont know nothing and you dare to try and argue,hahahaha you only know to say, they would have,you dont know the future,nobody does, go back and learn something about futbol, and then try to argue with people who knows, it is obvious that your comments are biased and ignorant also,well especialy IGNORANT HAHAHAHAHHAHA

18. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I am ignorant, im sorry I just dont like FMF.. I dont see why they try to shove FMF down our throats here in MIami. If it wasn't shown as much, maybe I would like it, but its on univision on saturdays, sundays, teusdays wednesdays thursdays, when they should show USL or MLS soccer, not FMF. Well I congratulate you in your one final. FMF is a good league, I just don't follow it, its doesn't amuse me.

I know alot about Libertadores, im always watching it every year. Started watching CCL as well but it doesn't compare.

19. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    well,if you dont like the mexican league just dont watch it, as simple as that,and they show mexican league over there because the majority of people that speak español in the USA are mexican (tv stations seek ratings,and they are not gonna get them with the MLS or USL plus they (tv stations) are not charity organizations to show something that its not gonna work out for them), and thats why they show the mexican league,and if you dont like that someone replys agresive to you, then dont make false statments.if you make them, always expect some angry crazy unreasonable vato like me to attack you.

20. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Man...stop now while you are just behind...

21. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea you said in the USA, but im talking specifically in Miami, there more everything than mexican down here. I didn't make any false statements, I replied with my opinion and IMVFHO Mexican League is overrated. Me scared of vatos?!?!! Shut up!! You wouldn't dare to mess with a Colombian, especially from Miami!! Are you suicidal!! Get over it guy, stop crying. MLF sucks, even though I hate superliga, I enjoy it very much when an MLS side beats a mexican side. The last superliga was pretty funny, the FMF teams got mad because they didn't make it to the final.

22. Bujias

Bujias Member

May 4, 2007
    Mexico, GDL.
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Superliga? ooo you mean the tournament mexican teams turn the invitations down, that is all played in the USA, in mexican pre-season, that has stupid rules like if you losse by 7 goals or more you get trough the next round, that in the 2009 the 2 worst teams in the relegation battle in Mexican football are gonna play it, that 80% of people in mexico think its just another money grab tournament and don't care ooo ok, yeah i guess its funny to see pre-season teams with relegation problems lose against the top competition of another country while playing away.

Btw you said mexican teams weren't at the level of Conmebol teams, well then why is it that in the last 6 7 years mexican teams were the 3th best overall just behind Argentinian and Bazilian teams? im not by any means demeriting the other nations clubs, they'r all great, we learned it the hard way sometimes, no Mexican team ever beat Cucuta of Colombia, Libertad of Uruguay never got knocked out by a mexican club (they played against FMF teams 2 or 3 times in the knock out stage) Liga de Quito owned America, and then Pachuca at the CWC, Caracas of Venezuela beat Chivas this time around and looked really good, Colo Colo proved theyr worth against varius mexican teams, so did la U, but the fact remains that we got overall positive results against non argentinian and brazilian teams, im not saying we are the tirth strongest league, im just arguing your stupid ignorant and false statement of:

So you made 3 false and stupid statements, wich would be ok by me if you didnt argue that you didnt, first mexican teams did play in the final, second we are at the CONMEBOL level, the other one of course you did when you stated that you didnt make stupid statments, and i could argue against this statment:
    but it all depends to wich league you compare them.

As for the matter at hand, i would love to see some other concacaf teams in the CL, but then again a lot of people didn't want the mexican teams becouse of travel distance and not being a part of CONMEBOL so who knows?

23. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    oh,so you did not say,that no mexican team ever made the libertadores final :rolleyes:,NIÑITO,first of all,i aint afraid of nobody,you are making it sound like all colombians are masters of kung fu,karate or the russian systema spetsnaz, IN EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY THERE ARE TOUGH PEOPLE AND WEAK PEOPLE,GET OVER YOURSELF,DUMB KID :rolleyes:,and i was refering that they would attack you here in bigsoccer for making false statments,and keep watching superliga,meanwhile the mexican teams keep winning the CCL :cool:

24. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    How does BS Mexico produce all these annoying users?
    First erick, now this guy.

25. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :rolleyes: