Rumor: Who will be the USL affiliate next season?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 23, 2015.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the news that SKC has formed their own USL team for next season and the Aztex not playing, who do we think will be FC Dallas's affiliate? Being from OKC, I'm REALLY hoping that the team partners with the Energy! Looks like Drew Epperley at Big D Soccer has a feeling that that's what will happen.

http://www.energyfc.com/press-release/sporting-kc-to-field-usl-team-end-affiliation-with-energy-fc/

http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2015/10/23/9602456/big-d-daily-news-for-friday-october-23-2015

The Energy press release says that "Energy FC is currently in negotiations with other MLS clubs to fill the role as affiliate for the 2016 season and beyond."

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How a team with the pedigree we have for youth development doesn't have their own affiliate team is just beyond words.

ivannomad and TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. This stumps me. Has anyone gotten any inkling of why this isn't happening? Even money wouldn't seem to be a good reason as they would likely get it back by having so many prospects to fill the roster and/or sell for a profit.

4. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD can't afford a USL team until 2017, after the STH price gouge ;).

burning247 repped this.
  5. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Funny you mention this... Dan Hunt had a chat session on our blog (I didn't set it up) yesterday and he did answer a question I asked about USL. His answer is so confusing and actually didn't answer anything, but did create two new questions!

Read it for yourself, and know that i did in fact send a follow up to the PR person. #1 was, so there's a 2016 plan, what it is? and #2 was what does any of that international strategy and other stuff have to do with starting a local USL team?

I'll keep you posted.

Attached Files:

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I read Hunt's quote again and I think it must be in reference to bringing in a few super young foreign (read Colombian) players and signing them to the USL roster and how would they move up to the MLS roster from there since they wouldn't be HG's.

7. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Could he be referencing another partnership with a foreign club? Realizing all of ours went by the wayside or have withered, loans like Moises (before he got a big head) in CA seemed to be a good option.

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Thrash13

Thrash13 Member

OKC Energy FC
    United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Lawton, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty excited about the affiliation with OKC. I live about an hour and a half from OKC and about 2 hours and 45 minutes from Frisco, so hopefully I'll be able to check out a little action from both teams this season.

On a side note, where is all the FC Dallas discussion these days? Is there another MLS forum people are posting at because I've been looking recently?

12. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigDsoccer.com seems to be the most active these days but overall it just not as busy as it once was/ or compared to a few other teams. Blame it on twitter/fb /little success/hunt fatigue etc.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Me and a ragtag group are the only ones keeping these parts alive.

14. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yep

I bounce back and forth between here and Bigdsoccer.com

15. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we thank all of you (and Hitman for sure) for keeping the Burn flickering here.

burning247 repped this.
  16. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://soccer46.com/

A newer fan blog with great intro articles for fans who are new to The Oklahoma Energy.

17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen any confirmation of this, but this may be what a lot of people have been waiting for:

18. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    The interesting part of this suggestion is the year: 2018 - just also happens to be when the current U16 batch generally will be 18. Dan Hunt has expressed a few reasons (but we know there are also financial issues they're worried about) as to why they haven't done this to date.. The biggest is his concern of being able to fill a roster, part of that was because of LigaMX and other non-MLS clubs buying away players. So I have to wonder their willingness to finally do this in 2018 is because the front office thinks they'll actually have the numbers at age to justify the expense.

19. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he was worried about Liga MX buying players, FIFA just made it harder for them to buy players under 18 who live in the US.
    I can't remember where I saw that. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

20. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the latest on the possible USL team starting in 2018? Anything official yet?

21. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I'll believe it only when I'm actually witnessing a game. but there has been more talk about it lately than previously and with the signings of HG's it would seem to be a no brainer. but remember, for HSG, this has to be a business decision - aka: revenue stream, not a cost center - for them to commit to it.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A question I have is does it help the senior roster to have a USL team where some of the younger players are stashed so that it frees up roster spots for more players on the senior roster that are more ready. Do the younger players count against the roster no matter which team they are with? If so I think they should institute some of baseballs procedures and allow players to be on the 40 man roster and have a separate 28 man senior roster. Players can move up temporarily if someone is hurt etc.

23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know if FCD is continuing their affiliate relationship with the Energy for this season? According to this article from Ives, Clavijo is quoted as saying FCD will have a USL team in 2019.

24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I thought I started a thread on this yesterday but I guess not. This year would be better but at least they've set a date. I think it's imperative that they practice with or near the 1st team so they fit right in if needed and Oscar can watch them. They could play anywhere in the metroplex perhaps even at a couple of places for more eyeballs. Now the fun part is for us to come up with a name for them as FCD II doesn't do it for me.

25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree. FO, please, please, PLEASE don't name this team FCD II.