Who Should Graduate to the USL-1 Team?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by VioletCrown, Jul 27, 2008.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose it would make sense to have a poll, but I don't feel like putting one together.

So this is for discussion of who you think should be on the USL-1 team next year. Who has passed their final exams and will graduate to actually earn a paycheck?

Here's my list:

Miguel Gallardo (assuming he doesn't get his wish and get picked up by his childhood team in Mexico:))
    Jamie Watson
    Josh Alcala

To me, those are the only ones that absolutely belong there. There are many others that certainly *could* fit in, and I won't be surprised at all if at least half the people we saw this year will be there next year in the USL-1.

I'm not going to do that list right now, though, because I'm not sure who all are still in college.

2. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would vote also for 'Beto. Between him and Miguel, we should have some pretty low numbers against us even at the higher level.

I also think that give Willy Speed a little more player development this off-season and he will most likely be a pro caliber player.

3. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can't have Quetzal up front, due to schooling, then lets have Andrea "Paisano" Cuererro , Zack "Zapatos Naranja" Pope, and Papa Drea and ******** Guellardo.

The first two are of course are best strikes soo far, and Andrea is apparently a good leader and motivational speeker, Zack is versitile and pashionate in his play, either in the middle or in the back, Papa Drea knows how to run a back line with the experience he has, and Guelllardo was one of the best keepers in the PDL, and not just in local opinion either.

If Heath is able to ,and does, call up all of them, including Jaime, I think he will have a very solid player for every third to build the rest of the team around, regardless of who else he brings up from the youth team, or from outside the Aztex/Stoke organization.

4. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really hard for me to say. I really didn't see the team in person enough this year to have an educated opinion. But, I would like to see the core of this team elevated to the next level. Guys like Miguel Gallardo, Beto Papandrea, and Jamie Watson should be given heavy consideration.

I do hope that they add guys with some beef. I noticed in the Open Cup game how much taller, and stronger the Silverback players looked. Granted we almost beat those guys, but over a whole season we may get worn down playing against bigger opponents.

5. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    Here are my 11 picks for the USL-1 team.

Defense:
    GK - Gallardo - Of course. It would be insane not to give him a chance.

Center Backs -
    Beto - One year contract at least for sure.

Kieron Bernard. Great speed and strength. Not always smart on defense but he seemed to get better and more confident as the season wore on.

Outside defense.

Zach Pope. GREAT speed, might be too small for defense. Could actually see him playing outside right mid because he always has an eye for the attack. He has a great mind for the game.

Josh Alcala. Yes, if his knee is ok. Great left back, very physical and smart with the ball.

Midfield -
    AJ Godbolt - excellent player. Needs to work on fitness a little but when he is on he might be the best player out there.

Carlos Vichens. Great holding midfield player in the middle. He holds the ball too long sometimes but that can be coached out.

Austin de la Cruz. This guy came on late in the season and made a real impression. He is a definite talent that would contribute on any team.

Forwards -
    Jaime Watson - A bit of a pre-madonna but a great work ethic and a real talent. He seems more like an attacking midfielder to me though.

Willy Speed. Great finisher with an eye for goal. Needs work on ball control on first touch. Not actually THAT fast, but fast enough.

Robin Martinez. A waterbug on the left side that will score goals. He comes on late and always seems to generate chances and goals.

Also would like to see on the team:

Felix Garcia from the Heat.
    Mac Kanji from Atlanta Silverbacks.

6. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree with Violet's original three, and even they might not be starters at USL1. Not saying they wouldn't mind you. I don't know USL1 well enough to say for sure. But I would like to think it's a pretty decent step up, meaning we need some new players.

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually feel pretty confident that Miguel will be our starting keeper.

But after that, I have no idea.

8. Budaztex

Budaztex New Member

Jul 4, 2008
    I'm going to skip 1 on purpose as I am biased. However, I would like to see Miguel, Jaime & AJ on the USL-1 team and hopefully that other person that I am biased towards. Kieron has the tools but I think needs to be better in the air. I'm pretty sure there will be several new faces that we will greatly impressed by. Also I'm assuming that our college players are returning to their respective colleges.

9. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, my thoughts are to measured with a grain of salt. After all, I thought parachute pants were going to make a comeback in 2004.

I'm not going to try and figure out the starting roles, but from the matches agains the Silverbacks and Tigres, I would say the following are definitely in my squad. There aren't XI I know, as like any team going up, we have to get some blood in. Specifically for us, to compete on USL1, we must get size.

• Miguel Gallardo
    • Beto
    • Josh Alcala
    • AJ Godbolt
    • Jamie Watson (although I'd like to see him get some pounds on him)
    I think folks who could make a very good arguement are...

• Jamie Scope
    • Austin de la Luz
    • Zach Pope (especially if he puts on some bulk)
    All of the others I think could use one more PDL year, and then would be terrific.

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The college players, unless they want to leave college early, won't be able to joint the Aztex USL-1 team.

Which is why I didn't list anyone besides the three that I did.

Beto's one other that is well past college age. I'm on the fence about him. But I'm starting to think that he'll be on the team. Our defense seems to have been most solid with him and Josh Alcala on the field. He's a calm, steady man back there.

11. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that AJ Godbolt has been through college (U of Maryland?),
    so he should be good to go, if he gets a callup

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. Just checked. da Luz is a senior this year at Wake. So, once he graduates, he would be available. Assuming he isn't drafted and signed by an MLS team. Or decides he wants to try Europe.

Jamie Scope's just a junior this year at Incarnate Word, so he's in the 'probably not available for next year' category, along with one I enjoyed watching this year, Kevin Klaus (St. Edwards).

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Both he and Willy Speed were with the KC Wizards last year.

14. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but if they had their priorities set right, they'd quit college and chase the USL1 team membership with the Aztex. Really, the kids of today just don't have their priorities correct.:p

I'll be in hiding if any of their parents call to talk.

15. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here what I think so far:

Miguel Gallardo
    Jamie (Jaime) Watson
    A.J.
    Speedy Guadarrama
    Beto
    Zack Pope

Is Carlos Vicens going to college?

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if he is, according to the Aztex website, he's at UT-Austin. Meaning he's a club player. Not sure what the rules are, but I have a hard time believing that there's any that would prevent him from playing USL-1. Plus, he's 25. I expect that he's well past college now.

17. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UT only has a women's soccer team ( no men's team). So technically he would qualify as a pro for the Aztex USL-1 team.

18. Budaztex

Budaztex New Member

Jul 4, 2008
  19. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great video! I really have grown to like AJ through his performance on the pitch. I think he has displayed character and class beyond his year, throughout the season and especially in this clip (and guts, having admitted on camera to liking a movie with Hugh Grant, Julia Roberts and that crazy Welshman). Although I like Bucky as a radio personality (and I hope he goes to ESPN next year when his contract is up at Fox), I have to disagree with his position on soccer.

And how about Josh Alcala getting some camera time!!

20. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VC, call Bucky's radio show tomorrow morning and say it's his fault and (not A.J.'s) for having the Aztex out of the playoffs. :D

Nice video coverage.

21. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. He mentioned Notting Hill. Now I have to say that he'll make the USL-1 team!;):D

Very nice piece. I never saw it. Thanks for pointing it out!

22. willyaddy

willyaddy New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Austin
    Jamie Scope Defender N 12/16/1986 6’ 4” 192 lbs 21.99 Yes, will graduate this year
    Kevin Klaus Midfield N 20.00 PDL Again, but might be better off leaving early to begin USL
    Austin da Luz Midfield N 10/9/1987 5’ 10” 160 lbs 21.18 PDL Again, but might be better off leaving early to begin USL
    Zack Pope Defender Y 3/20/1986 5’ 7” 140 lbs 22.72 Yes could move to midfield
    Kieron Bernard Defender Y 8/2/1985 6’ 3” 190 lbs 23.34 Yes
    Beto Papandrea Defender Y 4/21/1976 6’ 0” 180 lbs 32.49 No too old, too slow, PDL lifer better would be to start coaching
    Joshua Alcala Defender Y 1/5/1984 5’ 9” 165 lbs 24.89 Yes
    Jamie Watson Forward Y 4/10/1986 5’ 8” 158 lbs 22.66 Yes
    Willy Guadarrama Forward Y 8/15/1984 24.29 Yes
    Miguel Gallardo Goalkeeper Y 10/24/1984 6’ 1” 179 lbs 24.10 Yes
    Marcel Uriarte Midfield Y 6/5/1979 6’ 0” 172 lbs 29.41 PDL Lifer
    AJ Godbolt Midfield Y 3/7/1984 5’ 10” 175 lbs 24.72 Yes

I did a quick review of the roster...i suck at formatting this stuff so. Here are the headers Name,Position,College Completed, DOB if available, height wt, age as of 4-1-09(Yes looking forward), my thoughts.

I tried to approach this thinking that the USL side will employ much different tactics. Some of the current players meet the current necessity but don't really translate beyond.

23. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    I guess you don't have go out and support your kids if they are not doing your favorite activity, but I probably wouldn't brag about it on tv. I'm sure he is just trying to say that soccer is AJ's thing.

24. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is the thing that drives me crazy about American sports media and soccer. It's there job to cover sports, but when it comes to the most popular game in the world they have nothing but contempt, or at least mass indifference to it. THIS IS YOUR JOB!!! DO YOUR JOB!!!

If one of my sons was a professional/semi-pro shuffleboard player I would go out and support his ass. Especially if he played his games IN THE SAME TOWN AS ME. Even though I don't know a g*d damn thing about shuffle board.

Hey everybody, there's this new thing called the internet, it's got all the info on everything on earth just waiting for you to look into it a bit. Try it out some time. Then maybe you could mention it on your 24hr sports talk radio stations sometime 1300.

25. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly/ironically enough, my father IS a professional/semi-pro shuffleboard player. I understand the intricacies of the game, and know a fair bit about the sport. Despite all that, it still bores me to tears to watch. :D