Who should be the starting goalkeeper for the USMNT?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, Jan 23, 2005.

1. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Who should be the starting keeper?

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    hmmm....I thought Friedel had backed down from playing in the USMNT?

3. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Keller's the man for qualifying.

4. lillefty7

lillefty7 New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Bismarck

I think it is that he doesnt like missing club commitments for playin for the US national team

5. fermi

fermi New Member

Oct 17, 2004
    ct
    there all quailty. i suppose you'd have to go with there form for there club team. i would hate to see howard and keller be overlooked because they aren't starting. but it looks like keller is doing good for mochengladbach (spelling).i think that were lucky to have 3 top notch keepers

6. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Nobody can make Friedel play...if he wants to focus on his struggling team and ignore the promise of the Nats, let it be so. Also, Kasey apparantly looked superb in the Monchengladbach game...so it's ok... :D

7. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    personally i think keller should get the nod, he has started the past few wc qualfiers. he is finally getting more playing time so he will only get better i think. howard will have to earn his starting spot again, but carroll is doing crappingly so howard could get it back unless ricardo sneaks in and get the starting job. friedel has been doing solid from what i hear. the only reason he looks so bad is that the defense for blackburn is so horrid.

i would like to see hahnemann recalled again though.

8. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i'd rather not call friedel or keller in for this one (relegation struggle and new team)

timmy might be the best bet

but i would prefer friedel in goal any time, every time

no tale of friedel does him justice... he is the alpha and the omega

9. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    KK is the man.

However, b/c of KK's recent move, Timmy should get the nod for the T&T game.

10. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    I voted for Tim Howard. But mind you I am an Aussie, so I could be very wrong about what I am posting.

12. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Of course, Kasey Keller is the most experience goalkeeper the USA has, and he wants to continue playing for the nats. He is the natural choice.

Should he not ask Keller for his services, Arena should call in Marcus Hanneman(sp?) or give one of the MLS guys a chance, Cannon or Hartman. As for Howard starting in Qs, I think Bruce should stick to his guns about players needing to start for their clubs first. If he wants to establish conditions like that, he should enforce them where appropriate.

13. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always been a fan of Keller & he's my choice. However, Brad is having a solid season at Blackburn after a poor start & IF he was interested in re-joining the USMNT, he would be VERY hard to put on the bench.

MY feeling is that Big Brad feels that he had the World Cup of his life in Korea/Japan & has NOTHING left to prove on the international stage. I just don't think he wants to play for the USMNT anymore, unfortunately. Hopefully, I'm wrong but I don't think we'll lose a lot at the position because of our depth at GK.

Germany 2006 will be Kasey Keller's "moment to shine" IMHO and I think he'll be up to the task!!

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just reading up on Keller, Howard and Friedal recently, seems that Kasey Keller is the hungriest and most pro-active about playing and doing well. Thats what I want in our starting NT GK.

15. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why don't you just ask Segroves?

16. schnoopa

schnoopa New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Georgia, USA
    Keller, Howard, and another keeper

Since Freidel is preoccupied with the EPL, and since Blackburn advanced today. Why not Raimundo, or Johnny Walker or somebody from the MLS. Get some new blood, or the U21 keeper. Freidel & Keller have a lock, but Howard looked shakey and would need the exposure as would some new talent. Walker looked pretty good and he's got the cola cola (spelling sucks) experence.

17. wrightcor

wrightcor New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Maryland
    Not Howard at this time that is for sure. The keeper should be starting for his club. How about MLS keepers (Walker or Cannon) with a possible third or fourth MLS keeper.

18. ScissorsKick

ScissorsKick Member

Jan 12, 2005
    VA
    I would go with Howard. Just because he doesn't start GK at ManUtd doesn't mean he isn't the best for the job. Howard has potential for greatness and has the skill and speed for the national level. Freidal and Keller are great GKs in the own right, but they do seem like they have lost a step. Age will do that to even the best. Just ask Michael Jordan. I really like both Freidal's and Howard's attitudes on the field. However, I haven't been impressed with some of Keller's psycho antics I've seen in the past when things aren't going well. He always seems well composed, and then he seems to snaps anytime he has to do his job and make a save. There is a difference between inspiring your defense to step up and just being a whiner. I may be being harsh, but Keller seems to do a lot of unnecessary whining on the field. I would also like to see some MLS keepers get a shot at the job, but Howard should have the start in my book. Maybe Howard should go back to MLS for a permanent start job just so he meets the "criteria" of starting for his club team.

19. ScissorsKick

ScissorsKick Member

Jan 12, 2005
    VA
    I would go with Howard. Just because he doesn't start GK at ManUtd doesn't mean he isn't the best for the job. Howard has potential for greatness and has the skill and speed for the national level. Freidel and Keller are great GKs in the own right, but they do seem like they have lost a step. Age will do that to even the best. Just ask Michael Jordan. I really like both Freidel's and Howard's attitudes on the field. However, I haven't been impressed with some of Keller's psycho antics I've seen in the past when things aren't going well. He always seems well composed, and then he seems to snaps anytime he has to do his job and make a save. There is a difference between inspiring your defense to step up and just being a whiner. I may be being harsh, but Keller seems to do a lot of unnecessary whining on the field. I would also like to see some MLS keepers get a shot at the job, but Howard should have the start in my book. Maybe Howard should go back to MLS for a permanent start job just so he meets the "criteria" of starting for his club team.

20. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    Right now, Keller has been the man in Qualifying for the US. I have never seen Keller do what Howard did against Chelsea. I mean not just do we barely even get Media for US soccer players, but when we do, it's stuff like that. It's not all timmy's fault what happened in that game, but he did have abit to do with it. Probably almost 50%. Second after keller should be Freidel, then howard. No not Joe Cannon or Adin Brown or El Gato Hartman or Johnny Walker or Nick Rimando!!!! at WC2006 it will be those 3 goalies Kasey, Brad, and Tim!!!!!! I think i made myself clear!!!!!!

21. Mainer5

Mainer5 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Topsham, Maine

I am not sure how you can say Keller has slowed down after watching him play this weekend. His reactions ( his strength) were excellent, and if not for him his side might have lost by a couple of goals instead of tying. The goal that was given, was because theJan Koller was unmarked and kasey had not chance on the goal. Keller is currently in great form and as another poster said, hungry to play for his country.

22. SeeJay07

SeeJay07 New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    I think Keller deserves the first chance as the starter. Howard 2nd. I don't think Brad is going to play in internationals anymore. None of this Cannon, Rimando, Walker talk. Keller has the desire and seems determined to backstop his country again. I think he felt somewhat slighted when Friedel had the #1 job in the '02 WC. Howard has the tools and just needs the confidence and opportunity to become a world class keeper.

23. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET
  24. Oakland Co United

Oakland Co United New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    The 248
    BA goes with experience in road qualifiers. Plenty of time this year (Gold Cup, etc) to get others in the mix. It'd be huge to go down there and get 3 pts. I'd go with KK for experience over Howard.