Who Next?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by lobomojo, Jun 2, 2019.

1. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am tired of waiting for an Official Announcement.

Frankly, anyone will do over Sarri, for me, so not going to worry and fret over any candidate. ((unless rafa gets attention:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:)

All know my Supah dream.

Lampard;
    and his so-called lack of experience

Great footballing mind, carried him more than physical talent to being one of the greatest Premier League midfielders ever period. (statistically the best of first half of this century not that stats are the thing, just obvious if one has eyes and a brain)

Great mind period, IQ off charts (to be fair, not sure if that is a plus/minus in English Football world)

15 years Top elite Club experience, working with the best elite players and more years at West Ham.

Double figures in Silver won, a Club leader in all.

Learned, intimately worked with, and experienced the management of many great managers, and many not so great: Mourinho, Hiddink, Ancelotti, Capello, Scolari

Do some really think a few years managing players in the championship, then a few with a mid-level top league side really prepares a manager to handle elite players at an elite club better ???

Then why are y'all not clamoring for Eddie Howe, the ginger Mournho, Dean Smith, etc

The most successful of the younger super managers had the experience and resume Lamp has, Pep and Z. Certainly no guarantee but Lamp is not known for failing.

Might he fail here at some point, certainly, all have at some point, including Morinho, Conti, Ancelotti, Scolari etc.

And just as likely another outsider especially one with out Premier League experience or dealing with elite player experience might fail too. All have, except Hiddink who was too clever to press his luck.

But he also might succeed spectacularly first, and this could be a rare opportunity to bring all together, players, board and fans with one of our own far quicker than yet another outsider.

2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A lot of people have talked about Howe in the past.

I don't know. It's a really tough decision. Maybe Lamps doesn't want it right now. Maybe it's all media speculation and Chelsea don't even want to consider him.

Other reports are suggesting Holland, who has never even really managed before. Talk about setting someone up to fail. Let Holland take the fall during a transfer ban, asking him to make due with what he's got?

3. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My main reason for not wanting Lampard now is I want him to be a manager here for a long time for the reasons noted. I think he'll do great.

What I dont want is for him to be caught up in the post hazard, transfer ban backdraft where he may end up being a fall guy. I just dont want to see his opportunity wasted is all, I am far from anti-lampard.

4. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #4 lobomojo, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    I can certainly see your reasoning KDB, and I can see others having reasons, or wanting an Alleggri with 5 straight titles and 2 CL finals, just get sick of those who parrot, "not ready:, "too little experience" "will be a bust" without the slightest reason or rational, or consideration of his actual considerable elite club experience.

But our hardships, negativity and low expectations, also could be a benefit to hiring him now; as we discussed yesterday, no one really expects us to compete with the top 2.

And I, I know more than most, don't think we are as bad off as many in relation to the rest nor will Hazard gone be the death of us great as he is, with caveat if we have ban this summer combined with RLC and CHO out most of next will be a tough road indeed so expectations and immediate pressure on job will be less than usual and we still have many a good player to give Lamp a fighting chance. Kante in proper spot with a solid D and goalkeeper can keeps us in matches even if we have to play more pragmatic for a while

And a ban would give chance to blood other youth with less pressure and expectations though we would have to hold on to some declining players longer, that I would part with now.

Never will there truly be a great time, or perhaps even better time, for Lamp to step in, as all our openings are after a manager has failed to meet high expectations and fired or pressured out, high pressure and expectations which will still be in place for next guy each time anyway.

Not sure we have the bottle to take the chance or commit to a 2-3 year replenish with youth policy anyway, though we lose the appeal may not have much choice on the latter

Serengeti_Boy and Rman3349 repped this.
  5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One positive about the transfer ban is that we will HAVE to play some of the kids an, hopefully, they'll develop quicker that way and be of more use in the future.

Dr_Intoxicated and Wrath repped this.
  6. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Woah! Who is this guy?

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  7. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yep, we have some good kids in a whole bunch of useful positions. I really like Tomori who has been on loan at Derby. I think we can build from the back with the defenders and CB's we have. However, we don't have a striker - sorry Tammy Abraham is not good enough imho - and not having a striker is a big problem for us. We cannot even play Hazard in a false nine anymore.

AND who are you anyways? :D

So, the transfer ban is the gorilla or the "Andy" in the room, so to speak. We need a chance to bring in a striker and then the ban can do whatever it is supposed to do.

WHAT is the current status on the appeal? anybody know?

8. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #8 Dr_Intoxicated, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Last I heard was that we were waiting for the official reasons why the appeal was rejected in writing before deciding to appealing to CAS.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  9. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sorry - I meant Elephant in the Room or the "Andy" in the room ::D

10. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  11. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i actually think he's a really interesting manager. he's tactically versatile and rather astute. gets a lot out of his players. not saying i'm all in on him but i'd be rather interested in what he'd bring. i like his personality a lot from what i've seen. i also think everyone we talk about right now is talked about as somewhat of a stop gap until frank. he took a promoted team and instantly made them best of the rest outside the top 6 pretty much. that's impressive.

as for Frank....i don't think it's unfair to talk about his lack of experience or that he's not ready. he's only been a manager for one season, and yet i still think a lot of fans here are tempted, that just speaks to his character. and i think it's because everyone wants to see him succeed that a lot of fans aren't quite ready to take that risk yet. despite his leadership qualities that are very obvious, he has shown some times when he hasn't quite gotten a grasp on how to adjust the team to in game situations, he's learning a ton right now. you can see that he's still trying to figure a few things out on the sidelines, talking things over with Jody etc.

Lobo, it sounds like you are just ready to take that risk. the only real difference from others here is that some aren't quite ready to take that risk. i'd love to see frank come back, succeed and be our forever manager. it would be a dream come true. and if he was hired today i think the fans for sure would cut him a ton of slack for a full rebuilding season. and i'd still have trouble containing my excitement, but i'd be nervous too.

12. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You're not thinking of Santo/Wolves, are you?

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #13 lobomojo, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Don't really believe Javi crap, I'd take him over Sari though, seems competent, which in and of itself would be an improvement, but raises the question on "experience":

is a fair bit of managerial experience but near zero experience with elite clubs and elite players the same or better than nothing but elite club and working with and leading elite players experience, but little manager experience?

Though I do really want us to take a punt on Lamp, think I'd take Allegri over Javi or most because of his nothing but winning Elite Club experience the last 5 years and I liked how Juve played when I watched

14. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yep, my bad. i've seen that link go around as well. not sure why i misread it. my b

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Me? Just some clueless noob with a load of uninformed and idiotic comments.

So, I'll fit right in.... AMIRITE?! :eek:

:giggle:

Blueallthru, Wrath and lobomojo repped this.
  16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    The thing with Frank and experience is it's probably different being AROUND elite players and being their "colleague" vs actually managing them. A pier is not the same as "boss".

17. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A fair point to an extent, there is difference,but Lamp was always a Club leader on and off pitch, if press are to be believed JT, Lamps, Cech and Drogs ran the dressing room, Club and managers for a decade any way:D.

But my question is, for however you value it does that equate, better or worse than a few years of management without any or little elite Club or elite player experience.?

Both would be nice and it seems Allegri is that guy if you want that above knowing the Club and League. And as we are not going to get Klopp or Pep, any pick will be a gamble anyway so, PL experience without enough success or elite experience, Nuno, Javi, etc, high success out of the PL but no PL experience Allegri, Ten-Hag (not much experience yet), or unproven up-comers with high potential like Lamp, Ten-Hag?

18. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For me it's Lamps or bust or just keep Sarri and give him a chance. It wasn't a total disaster. I'm leaning to just say screw experience. What we need is tactical acumen and flexibility.

Wrath repped this.
  19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I honestly don't know b/c I can't imagine what goes into managing a club from a coaching and player personnel stand point. I also think high IQ and overall intelligence is not a substitute for experience. Again, I'm all for change if it makes sense, but don't want to waste a golden opportunity to have Frank manage this club when the time is right.

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever is next they won’t last more than 2 years

21. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Managers at any club don't last more than 2 years. But we are the only one to get shit for it.

Klopp has been at Pool for awhile and has been successful. Struggling to think of another manager at another club for longer than 2 years.

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pep. Barca’s coach. There’s a few others but yes coaches life is short.

You’re not wrong but we’re the only club that is ready to fire their coach the day after they sign. Hell bookies put up odds on the next coach while the ink is still drying on the new ons deal. Doesn’t help that we don’t back them either. The media gets a free pass at our coach cause there’s no support.

23. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Allegri lasted 5 with a domestic double every year I think, and 2 CL finals, which just might keep one in a job here for over 2 years only saying might mind you

we, The Board, do have a weird habit of not really supporting or buying for a gaffer the year after we win a League which does not help

24. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So we are going back to defensive football then? I am not opposed on Allegri but Sarri was brought in just to change that. We change that ideology after 1 season?

Blueallthru repped this.
  25. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i actually think this is a much more important point than has been talked about. if we just go back to being more defensive oriented, then what was the entire point of this year. it's kind of a lost year if we do that. not that i'm totally opposed, winning is more important, but what's the point of having a long term goal and ideas of style changes and then abandon it after 1 season? no matter what specifically happened with Sarri, it was always going to be a rough transition year.

i think another really important point that i heard talked about that i thought was excellent was, we were in the europa league last year, it was basically the perfect year to bring up RLC and CHO and mold them in to something the manager wanted, which i strongly argue, he did. we were able to give some reserve players a chance in that competition and use it as a testing ground. it was a good year to make the transition. next year....we don't have the luxury to do that with the CL. so some players will have to adapt to probably another style, and when will they get a chance to be tested. say what you will but under Sarri, RLC basically became first choice when he was healthy. there's no guarantee that Allegri (example used) will come in and use him once he gets over his injury, he could spend the entire season getting healthy and coming up to speed and barely playing because we don't have games to give him to test except early league and FA cup.

Wrath and Blueallthru repped this.