who likes being a student?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by olckicker, Aug 17, 2004.

1. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    In high school my u.s. history teacher said he missed being a student -- carrying his books, going to class, learning -- then he said we would feel the same way when we're out of school. At the time I thought he was crazy but in my case he was absolutely right. I especially miss being a literature student (reading books then talking about them in class). In fact the more I live in the "real world" the more I fantasize being a "career student", staying in college for life learning different subjects...

2. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    milwaukee, WI
    i like being a student, in fact i love it. e have this system here that i can go to college next yr or stay in school for two more yrs and then skip the first yr of college.
    and i would rather go to school for two more yrs then go to university or college next yr. but all my friends are leaving to uni and everybody thinks its awaste of time to go to school :( but i love it.

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    It's crap. I'm a part-time student, so I have the worst of both worlds. I can't wait 'til I finish my degree.

That said, all the fulltime students I know seem to have a ball.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I miss it, I graduated last summer. My gf just finished college this summer, so I was able to 'visit' college life through her. Thank God for that, if I had gone cold Turkey overnight it would have been much worse. I kinda feel worse this summer. Now that my girl is done as well, I know we both will have to pretty much say goodbye to the life for good.

5. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't miss it! I never stop being a student! When I finished my BA, I went on for an MA! Now, I'm trying to get endorsements in as many subjects as possible!

By the way, if you have trouble finding a job, get as many endorsements as you can!

I'm not in school at the moment, but I'm taking an amazing seminar!!!!!!!!!

I just finished my second day of "BardCore Curriculum" It's a 30 hour seminar (five days this week - 8:30 - 12:00 and three Saturdays during the school year). It gives me lane credits (credits that help to move me into a different salary track) and CPDUs!

This seminar is pretty amazing. It's a Shakespeare seminar (for Chicago Public School teachers) that's being done by the Chicago Shakespeare Theater. It's amazing.

We're focusing on The Merry Wives of Windsor. Today, we worked with the actual text coach for the theater on scoring the text.

It's amazing the things I've learned. I've always been into Shakespeare, but I never realized how he basically inserted how an actor should read a part intot he text itself!!!!! But it clears up a lot of mystery!

So, I'm always a student!!! If you love it and miss it... go back! Take ONE class in something that interests you. There's some amazing stuff out there!

6. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Exactly. So, for my final year I quit my job and am just going to school for the first time since the early 90s. Start on Tuesday. :D

7. Elessar1733

Elessar1733 New Member

Dec 11, 2001
    Columbia, SC
    I like being a student so much I'm about to start my sixth year of undergrad....

Or maybe I'm just justifying it taking so long.

Hester

8. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    I'm one of those ppl who only goes to school to see their friends and stuff. I don't like school, I can't wait till i graduate and can go to music school and can actuall learn stuff that I'm going to use one day, I don't see how knowing everything about the Byzantine Empire is going to help me in auditioning for various orchestra's and stuff like that. Some of the stuff is interesting, like history I like but I didn't this year b/c it was stuff from like 4000 B.C. to A.D. 1500, basically all the stuff that happend so long ago it doesn't really matter now. Really hate math and I'm not very good at it. Like english, it's simple, read the book write about. Science is OK, except for the labs. Spanish, I only put up with the class b/c I know spanish is going to be useful later on. But basically I don't really like school, I don't wake up in the morning happy to go to school or anything. But even though I don't like school I do like my school, I learn a lot but I wouldn't be sad if they gave us an extra week for spring break and another month of summer vacation.

9. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    I did go back ... to some extent, taking design and illustration classes to improve my graphic design skills. But that's job related. If I take a Shakespeare or Philosophy class that's really going back.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed it then. Now, since I'm unemployed, I really miss it. I was unemployed through parts of college, but that came with only doing a few hours work a few days a week, sleeping late, chasing women, and getting to go to sports for free.

11. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    You and me both.
    :)

12. rivers

rivers New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Canada
    The late nights writing papers and studying for finals suck, but on a whole students live great lives. Working sucks.

13. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

I loved being a college student until I got into academic probation last term and my old man cut the cash flow. So now I'm working part-time and dealing with school at the same time.

Feckin' buzz kill I tell ya'.

14. Los Libero

Los Libero New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Earth
    I miss high school.

15. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    See, I go home to get away from my friends. It's disappointing sometimes when I get home only to find them here. That's what being in the same classes with 34 other kids will do to you eventually.

It doesn't help you with orchestra auditions, it just makes you well rounded and a better and more entertaining person.

And you'll miss it more than you think.

Oh, it does matter. It all influences what happens next.

The labs are the best part.

I don't know why I tolerate French. Maybe b/c it's comedic now that we still can't speak it and will all fail the exam anyways.

I love going to school. I hate waking up so early though. Once I get past history (I have no interest in Latin American history that early in the morning) but it'll get better nest semester.

16. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    How a broad education can help you in music school:

1) You're going to have to take a minimum of four semesters of Music History (provided you're going for your B.M.). How are you supposed to understand why the Romantic era happened when and where it did if you don't understand the basic principles behind the Enlightenment? (one example). Also, understanding how commoners went from serfs to franchised members of society will give you a great headstart in understanding how composers went from indentured servant status to free-lancers (or university professors).

1a) If you don't understand how knowing a little bit about what life was like for a Jew in Mid-19th C. Leipzig helps you play Mendlessohn, you might seriously reconsider your vocation. Your competition for first chair knows -- promise. (Also see: Mahler, Gustav; Prokofiev, Sergei).

1b) Getting out of orchestral and into concerto mode; you're going to need to study the lives of the composers whose music you play, period. You can't interpret the sub-text inbetween the little black dots without it.

2) You will not do well in Music Theory without being able to think mathematically. You need four semesters of Music Theory for a BM (two semesters of harmony, one each of form and analysis and counterpoint). It will also help you with sight-singing/solfege class. Where I went to music school, all instruments had to take sight-singing.

3) English class is designed (hopefully) to teach you how to think critically -- an invaluable skill in determining what a particular hair-movement by your conductor means.

4) See the above post about being a well-rounded person. You're going to have to interview with orchestra directors as well as audition. Music is a snob-world extrordinaire (you probably already have experienced this in all-state). Have some stuff to talk about; when everyone is just as good as you, being liked for your personality can win you the seat.

I hope that didn't scare you. Music school was a blast -- the first time in my life I was surrounded by people who cared about music as much as I did, impromptu performances, personalities as wild as you can imagine (and other, less PG benefits, but I'll leave that to your imagination.) PM me if you want some more info on what to expect :).

But music school is trade school. The bare-bones general-ed you'll take won't give you the kind of rounding you need to be an artist. So, learn now or catch up when you no longer have the time ;)

17. snowsuit

snowsuit New Member

Oct 1, 2000
    san diego
    i detest being a student. i hate lectures, note taking, chapter reading, class discussions, essay writing, the whole bit. i think it's disgustingly useless. i'm currently in an intro to philosophy class where 90% of the people are nigh retarded. i've been singled out by the professor as the smartest kid in the class, and i appear to be the only one familiar with any of the concepts that have been introduced. the thing is, i've had almost no structured education. i was homeschooled, and it was very freeform. all these kids went through a far more methodical school system and came out with ******** for brains. it's disheartening and it makes me sick.

now that i'm done preaching, the only good thing about school is clearly cute guys.

18. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm such a nerd. I love that kind of stuff.

Except lectures in math. That seems to go better as a discussion.