Who is the best player in Concacaf?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by billyboy23, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    looks like chicharito is back on top....that didnt last long ;):cool:

2. Agudelo_for_MVP

Agudelo_for_MVP BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    one goal puts him back on top? I don't think so.......

3. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Does anyone have statistics showing Dempsey's and Hernandez goals per minute? Or something along those lines?

4. Agudelo_for_MVP

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hernandez by a little bit I think. Its not about goals per minute though because Dempsey plays with worse players, and he is the focal point of defenses. Chicarito can come on as a second half super sub and just pop in goals because he has fresh legs and he isn't the focal point of defenses. Teams try to shut down Rooney, so they give more opportunities to other players, and Hernandez is a beneficiary of that.

5. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    To be honest, Dempsey wouldn't sniff the bench at United.

And yes, because that's how it works. :rolleyes: The opposition doesn't know anything about his pace and positioning, that's why he can just come on and pop in so many goals - no wonder he's never started a match. You would think by now, they would know who he is but i guess they only worry about shutting down Rooney.

On a serious note, when Hernandez is on its almost the other way around. They try to stop Hernandez's runs and close him down while Rooney is the one who gets the free space, opening up chances for other players, and the whole team is the beneficiary of that.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do play different positions; Hernandez is a poacher with great scoring instincts and great Finishing abilities.

Dempsey is an Attacking Midfielder/Second Striker that creates and can score.

Flip their positions and they wouldn’t be as effective, shit play them both at CB and they would both suck.

Hernandez is great if you have a team that will create opportunities for a forward, drop Hernandez at Stoke and he would be lost since he would not be able to create many opportunities like say Jones who is a 1 person attack.

Also Dempsey would probably get lost in top teams, both have their niche and are doing great at it.

So who is the best?

Depends on what you need, you need a guy to put the ball away inside the area then Hernandez is your guy, if you need a guy to help your team create opportunities then Dempsey is who you want.

7. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    A huge misconception about Hernandez is that he's only a poacher. This is the role SAF gave him and wants him at. He says in an interview somewhere when they asked him why he doesn't shoot outside the box more often (paraphrasing) he replies because thats not my role at the club, SAF gives me my instructions and i do as im told.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hugo was also only a poacher, I think people misunderstand this; many strikers are poachers, which do not mean they can’t shoot.

It just means they are more target forwards not Nimar type forwards, that run and dribble past multiple defenders.

Poachers are better inside the box where they can shake defenders very quickly and get a shot off before other defenders fall on them. This is not easy, Finishing is key and Hernandez has show that finishing is his best asset.

Being a poacher is not easy, also, many target forwards most be able to hold the ball and wait for other Wingers to come up, Hernandez is getting better at this. Jones is much better do to his size and speed, Hernandez will never be the prototypical big target forward, but many smaller target forwards have been very successful in the past, Hernandez can be more like say Higguain with Real Madrid, not really like say Drogba at Chelsea.

9. Agudelo_for_MVP

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are just showing your hate for Americans. Dempsey is one of the best players in the EPL, whether you like it or not. He could easily sniff the bench for Man U.

10. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There's a difference between hatred towards a rival and a Country, I am American but i despise the National Team.

Dempsey is good, he's having the season of his career at the moment - that is all. And it took him how many seasons to hit great form?

He's also not one of the best players in the EPL, as much as you want it to be so, he's simply not consistent enough to be considered as one of the top players in the EPL. He's not even top 5 at his own position.

He could easily sniff the bench for Man U.

And yes, yes he could I'm sure that sick fuck is in to some kinky shit like that.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he would get more minutes at Man U than Gio at Spurs.

Gio ridding bench is still a to 5-10 Concacaf player IMO.

12. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You sound like you don't follow either the EPL or Fulham very much. Dempsey's currently the top scoring midfielder in the EPL, and was the top scoring midfielder in the EPL last year (some may say Van Der Vaart was, but any Spurs fan will tell you VDV played mostly as a second striker). EDIT: Malouda scored one more goal, Adam tied Dempsey.

If you look at Dempsey's numbers the last five years, only Lampard and Gerrard have had a better five-year runs of goal scoring as midfielders in recent times, and even then Dempsey's very close to both of them.

All this, and Dempsey plays for a team outside of the top five, and doesn't take PKs.

BTW I think Hernandez is an excellent player. Relative to position, Dempsey is better, and it's not really close.

13. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Its simple really one player comes from Chivas and Plays at ManUtd, the other comes from mls and plays at fulham. So you are right its not even close.

Javier>Dempsey.

14. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: Thanks for the substantial contribution.

15. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty dumb argument. One could easily turn it around and say that Dempsey benefits from playing in a smaller team were he is guaranteed playing time and does not have the internal competition, nor the demands and expectations of a big club like man untd.

And regardless of teammates, Javier scores. He's proven that with chivas, mxnt, and now man untd.

Javier has struggled with injuries all this season and is still putting up decent scoring numbers while fighting for playing time with a good up and coming player in welbeck and a former scoring champion in berbatov.

Regardless, both dempsey and chicharito are good players. mexican fans will say chicharo is better and americans will say dempsey. It's all good

16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brek Shea and Marco Fabian

;-)

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another point for Hernandez is that with out him Chivas is a shitty team, then again so is the Revolution.

18. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Id say Marco Fabian is the missing piece that make the team look like shit. It was evident last night. With out Marco creating chances our forwards are non existent

19. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    hmm I would have to say dempsey right now. welbeck is playing great right now so chich is a super sub. if we compare which player is better in
    speed
    control
    technique
    dribble
    shot
    accuracy
    pass
    football intelligence
    positioning
    header/in the air

see who ends up with more tallies in a category wins that category.

20. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gio :D except for the headers.

21. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    IF he played...........:p

i admit he could be best player eventually, should've took move to udinese.

22. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    2 and for man united:cool:

23. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I´d go with the reigning Barclays Premier League champion...but thats just me :D

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you do spazz like some of my fellow United Statians ;)

How about the kid getting a few minutes for the Defending European Champions.

CL > EPL

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Are you talking about Jonathan Dos Santos?

Even as a US fan I have to acknowledge that Chicharito is the best from CONCACAF.

Second place for me is Brad Friedel...........who of course plays every game for a team in the top 4 of the premier league.

He won't win any votes on here, but Canadian Simeon Jackson is having a really nice year for Norwich.