Who is more butthurt over Portugal's Euro 2016 win?

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by ---Z---, Jul 20, 2016.

?

Who is most butthurt over Portugal winning Euro 2016?

1. The English - the anglo media always hates on Portugal and they have zero euro cups still.

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. The Dutch - at least they weren't here to lose to us again

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The French - thought they had it in the bag, but C'est la vie

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. The Germans - Aryan nation destroyed so soon after a victorious WC

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. The Jews - angry their control of the media couldn't stop Portugal from winning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Americans/Canadians - angry their ESPN/TSN soccer analysts got it so wrong

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  7. The Spaniards - as many titles as they may have won, nobody came close to CRITIANO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Italian - Canadians - Its okay, still got four stars bro!!!

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll tell you guys this, the Americans that I know in real life are very happy Portugal won, most were rooting for us. Granted, I come from a huge Portuguese immigrant city so why would they root against a majority of their friends.

The ones online, however, like at big soccer, hate it. It's like night and day difference

NewLaw83 repped this.
  2. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I notice that there isn't a article about the Euro Final and the champions of Euro 16 on Bigsoccer.com.

If France won it, or Germany won it, there would probably be a article about it.

3. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    There's an article about Iceland tho!!!!111

4. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You n00bz are looking at it the wrong way, The real question is how can we create even more butt hurt in 2018?

imo

Argentina x Portugal World Cup Final

Messi creates a billion chances and Argentina get 20 shots on goal scoring 2..

Portugal get 3 shots total and score all 3 off counter attacks Ronaldo finishing them all off.

Argentina 2 Portugal 3

verde-rubro repped this.
  5. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's been a fascinating couple of weeks reading about the Portugal win and how "horrible" this Euro was. But as many of you have written it's just the voice of so called "experts" that still can't believe Portugal can change tactically, finally play as a team and triumph. Was it our best collection of players? Probably not, but it was certainly the best coached group and tactically they were spot on.

verde-rubro, Paposeco, GoodDead and 3 others repped this.
  6. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Probably the most depth though, Even more than those 2000 and 2004 sides.

GoodDead, NewLaw83 and ---Z--- repped this.
  7. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I love reading and watching those comments, especially as a CHAMPION

NewLaw83 and RedBullSeven repped this.
  8. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly Been saying this was our best squad since 2006 but in truth this was probably our most balanced squad of all.

We were underrated by many who don't have knowledge of all the good young players on the team . It was a perfect mix of experience and youth.

verde-rubro and NewLaw83 repped this.
  9. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

verde-rubro and NewLaw83 repped this.
  10. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah can't think of a bad / average player on this squad other than Eder and Vieirinha.

2004 had Beto, Rui Jorge, Nuno Gomes, Postiga.

2006 had Caneira, Ricardo Costa, Meira, Viana, Boa Morte as well as above strikers.

The incredible thing is no Coentrao, Bernardo Silva, Danny and Tiago due to injuries.

NewLaw83 and RedBullSeven repped this.
  11. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #36 ---Z---, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    William and Danilo as DM's were also quite key, DM in todays football is arguably the most important position and Portugal never had any good ones until now (Costinha was decent but IMO William / Danilo are both better)

William started so many attacks, won crucial tackles and in defense basically turned into a 3rd CB / sweeper in front of the two CB's.

Portugal finally having strength in the middle of the pitch is the reason we are finally were able to beat France. This same factor would also help us against Germany if we meet them again, which we probably will at Confeds Cup.

Vieirinha is not a bad player, he is quite good for wolfsburg and he saved a goal against Austria... but he simply didnt play good.

Andre Gomes is a good player but didnt play good most of the time either.

The only real weak/average player in the squad was Eder, who still had an amazing game in the final and scored.

I mean compare with 2004...

Patricio is miles better than Ricardo

Pepe/Fonte superior D overall than carvalho and andrade
    Miguel better than Cedric but probably not that much,
    Guerrero better than Nuno Valence

William better than Costinha
    Adrien / Joao Mario more or less equal to maniche

only one above was Deco, and of course Rui Costa but he didnt contribute anything defensively, 2016 midfield were all workhorses able to defend, close gaps, and create.

Cr7 2016 >>> Cr7 2004 or Figo
    Nani 2016 better than Simao was but of course not as good as Figo (altho Nani arguably is better finisher)

I really think 2016 team is superior to 2004.

12. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Just say no to Danny.

13. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree this was our best team since 2006, but I really dont believe it's better than 2004. Go to footballia.net and watch our matches from Euro 2004, and that team had so much more presence and quality. It was dominant.

Miguel was one of the top RB's in Europe for those couple years, and the only fullback to pocket a prime pre-injury robben not once, but twice (2006 as well)

Ricardo Carvalho was the best defender in Europe and Andrade was voted best defender in la liga, as a pairing they were both incredibly fast, intelligent, and comfortable on the ball, something Fonte severely lacks despite his no nonsense positional style.

Costinha might not have had the skill on the ball William had, but for example take a look at the spain match, he was absolutely dominant in his timing of the tackle and movement to shield the back four. He had a footy IQ higher than either William and Danilo have at this moment.

Maniche had a presence on the field our young CM's currently lack, he would dominate midfield and dictate tempo and for those couple seasons (2003 and 2004) was a great CM until he took a paycheck in Russia (even then he was voted to team of the tournament in 2006 and was our best player that tournament)

Deco was a genius and his defensive workrate is under rated.

The starting 11 was strong, very strong and had Rui Costa the legend coming off the bench.

Now I do agree this team in 2016 had more numbers in terms of depth off the bench...and in a few years the players will grow to become better regarded potentially than some mentioned above, but in terms of the form the 2004 team was in at that time...it was the better team to me, and that isnt in question imho.

Mourinho said it best: Somethings cant be explained in futebol; How the 2004 team didnt win, while we managed to win with a young team playing defensive soccer in Paris against France...it honestly almost felt like symmetry and the universe coming full circle to close the rift losing to Greece caused:(

In the end I too am excited about this team, because in 2 years we will be SO much better, so much!

-Nelson Semedo/Cancelo at RB
    -Mario Rui/Coentrao backing up Gurreiro
    -Ruben Neves/Bernardo Silva
    -Andre Silva upfront (doing really well this pre-season)

Andre Gomes, Joao Mario, Gurreiro, Sanches hopefully gaining a lot of experience and tactical and positional intelligence to make further use of their talent.

Just need a game changing young winger to come off the bench, and hopefully Marcos Lopes/Gelson Martins or somebody else can provide that

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  14. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I find it ridiculous they are avoiding you, just cuz their team lost.. there's more to life than just futbol.. We are all human beings at the end of the day.. but people tend to forget that sometimes.. I mean sure, you may have someone who is from a rival team.. but I bet you money you have other things in common with that same rival.. for example, you may like the same music, tv shows, foods, video games, taste in women, etc.. So just because someone supports a rival team, doesn't mean you can't get along with that person.. the people in your job need to lighten up!

NewLaw83 repped this.
  15. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I mean seriously.. it's pretty sad your Co Workers can't get along with you, just cuz their team lost.. they need to get a grip, and smoke some weed!

NewLaw83 repped this.
  16. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Totally agree with you man, but they were mostly douches to begin with so nothing lost. Before they used to come to me when they needed something, now they try to help themselves instead of expecting it from me

NewLaw83, Chess_Panther and fafaco repped this.
  17. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    You got a case with the Human Rights of Canada office. You are being discriminated against because of you are Portuguese and a European Champion:D

Don't let those separatists get to you.

NewLaw83 and Michael F repped this.
  18. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Now that a bit of time has passed I finally voted.

I voted the English. Based on my observations, they are the most butthurt by Portugal's win. They post articles trying to explain how we are the worst team to ever win a major title.

what these fools don't understand is that we had a strong team, and there is a reason why most of us were confident. Good teams find ways to win, and sometimes the actual best way to win games is to do almost the bare minimum because it prevents you from overexerting yourself in a short tournament, prevents burnout, and keeps expectations guarded, and fools the opponent.

every opponent thought they would beat us.

This was a perfectly executed tournament by Portugal I feel like it came out of Sun Tzu's Art of War.

If Portugal had blue shirts and ate pasta, the commentators would be saying this was classic and tactical victory with great defending and winning mentality etc.

verde-rubro, artielange84 and NewLaw83 repped this.
  19. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is just the start of a Portugal uprising. I can feel it.

Patience was the key for us, and Am confident we'll see more results bc the "team game" will always win! Thank FS for that.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  20. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yup I would rather see them play this style and win than play "beautiful football" and lose.

BatatasFritas repped this.
  21. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was at a party the other day and ran into a old pork chop used to know

still thinks euro 2004 team was better. NO they ********ing weren't. Weak ass mentality.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  22. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Since the euro cup ended everytime I run into an Italian in Toronto and mention I am Portuguese they get this Butthurt look in their face, tudo Cagado

Anyone else notice this ?
    Feels good because I went to high school with a lot of them who gave me a hard time about Portugal never winning cups

artielange84 repped this.
  23. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    I literally have had Italians avoid me in the cafeteria and hallways at work....No joke.
    Now, every casual Friday I am rocking some Portuguese gear....LOL

24. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You're a Euro champion. Why do you care?

25. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    when people ask me what I am (background) I know say "European Champion" and let them figure it out.

Michael F, artielange84 and Sumol repped this.