Who Do We Keep/Who Should Go 2009/2010 Edition

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Blackburn, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the last home game has been played, and, with 2 games left to go before (let's face it) the end of our season, the time has come to address the question of who we think should stay, and who should go for next season.

On the who should stay column (in no particular order):

Eddie Johnson - by far our best striker this year. Great workrate, and was always involved, even when not scoring.

Gifton Noel-Williams - kinda a disappointment early in the season but I thought he played much better later. That being said, with the captain's armband, he needs to either score more or be more of an on pitch leader. Most of his voice on the pitch seems (to me at least) directed at the refs, not at marshalling the team.

Miguel Gallardo-Aparicio
    - By FAR our best keeper, and was a huge loss when he went down in the Puerto Rico game. We should hang on to him at all costs.

Jeff Harwell - Consistently our best midfielder. You would think his play for us would earn him some MLS attention, but I hope he's back with us next year.

Sullivan Silva
    - seemed to me to regress a little as the season went on, or maybe that was just opposing defenses learning to read his tricks. Either way, he was always working and was one of our most consistent offensive threats.

Jamie Watson - Admittedly he came on late, but has been very good in what we've seen of him. As USL-2's MVP and leading scorer that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Also is very good with a cross, and that was something we were sorely lacking this year for Gifton.

...and that's about the list of people I would view as MUST returns.

Those We Should Never See In Stripes Again:

Kyle Brown - Dude, I'm sorry. I'm sure you're a nice guy. But you're just not up to this level at your level of skill.

2. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie - keep. But as attacking mid.

Gifton - dump. sorry, I was never convinced, captain or not.

Gallardo - keep. of course.

Harwell - keep. definitely the nicest surprise of the season. young player earning spot.

Silva - keep. best field player on the team IMO. would have been far more productive with two solid strikers at front.

Evans - keep. I know a lot of people don't like him, but I do. Great low arc kick from the back - which he may admittedly do too often. He should be taking our corners and free kicks.

3. tex20

tex20 New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    My question is: do you want 11 great soccer players or a great soccer team? They are not necessarily the same. In almost all sports, a successful team has both stars and role players. That is what this team has been missing all year. Players don’t know their role, they don’t support each other, create space, build the attack and therefore they have struggled to get goals all year.
    The forwards don’t do a good job of supporting each other nor do they have support at the midfield. I see Silva give up possession 9 times out 10 but on the occasions that he doesn’t, it’s pretty darn impressive and people think that is more of what we need. In fact, I think Brown has been one of the better players at moving off the ball, passing, getting others involved in the play and helping to create attacks. If you look at his credentials and his last season in Houston, you can’t say he lacks skills. He is a role player. I sometimes see lack of confidence and desire but I also see a lack of coaching and the type of controlled, cohesive play that he was probably used to. A superficial assessment of the season would call for the retention of Silva and more of the like but in my opinion you only need one or two of those guys on the team and the coach should be looking for more for players that are “smart”, know their role and are willing to give up the ball quickly to create the best chance.

4. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur. 11 "Galacticos" does not necessarily a good squad make.

My problem with Kyle has been a non-existent strike rate, consistently bad positioning, bad passing, and generally bad play. If you're a striker, you need to score, or create scoring chances. For the most part, he's done neither, and, in some instance, actively prevented them. For that I think he has to go.

I think all of our players need work, no question. But those are the ones I want to see back because they can do better.

Oh, and I forgot Yordany Alvarez. I think he deserves to be back next year as well.

5. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of these guys have been spoken about, so I will just add my "here, here"...

Eddie Johnson

Jamie Watson

Sullivan Silva

Miguel Gallardo

Gifton Noel-Williams - a split in the responses so far, but honestly, I've been really pleased with him since he's come out of injury. The hamstring was a real problem for him in getting going, but now that he's on the mend (not 100%), I've been happy to see his mobility as evidenced last night. Get him the cross, and some great running strikers (like Watson and Johnson), and I believe we could have a good point man.

Gareth Evans - I like him, especially as he's decreased the long ball clearance stuff. I think he could also benefit from Horst if we can get him (see below).

And guys I've not seen mentioned...

Yordany Alvarez - great mid fielder who had a great contribution to goals early in the year prior to breaking his foot. A presence we need in an otherwise challenging midfield.

David Horst - although a loan from RSL, I'd LOVE to get him in the middle of our backline. Always aggressive, able to win headers, and is able to provide size up front in corner kick situations. I think he's a critical defender to have back...if we can get him.

Zack Pope - I don't know what happened to him. I saw him last night at the stadium, but I've not seen him dressed out for a long time. Zack is great on the backline in adjusting to the attacking fronts. Although his physical size is a challenge, I believe he more than makes up for it in speed and sheer grit.

Wes Allen - We haven't seen a lot of Wes, but like him as a back up on the backline.

AJ Godbolt - I love seeing AJ out there, with his energy and skill. Midfield is his home, and paired up with Watson again could be a real danger to opposing teams. I'd just like to see more of him.

Jarius Holmes - Another player that we didn't see much of this season. However, I think he has potential. A bit rough at times around the edges, he could really benefit from some of the senior squad members (some of which we need to sign).

Guys I don't think will make it...

Kyle Brown - I agree that he's not lived up to expectations. Having said that, I also see he's currently 6th in USL1 on the Assists board, above any other Aztex player. Maybe if he can get his ball handling and striking ability better developed in the off season, but I don't know.

Sam Reynolds - I like Sam, but with Miguel back and Nick signed, I think it's a matter of running out of roster space.

The rest of the roster on guys that I still don't know about...

Josh Alcala - I really like Josh on a personal level, and liked some of what I saw this year. Unfortunately, we just didn't see enough of him.

Kieron Bernard - Same as Josh, didn't see a lot of him.

Ryan Caugherty - informal rumor is that he blew an ACL last night in his knee. I liked what I saw from him, but would like him to be a bit less manic in his play, and a bit more controlled.

Michael Dello-Russo - So far, I'm not really impressed with him on the back line. It's only been a few games, and it's hard to get into a system in that short of time, so I can't give a really good judgement call with supporting facts. However, I'd like to see improvement next season.

6. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree with you about not seeing Josh much, but I don't think you can say the same about Kieron. Per the team stats ( http://www.uslsoccer.com/teams/2009/13380700.html#STATS ), he's one of only 5 that have seen more than 1600 minutes this season.

7. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, that's not good that he played that much and didn't make a tremendous impact on perceptions. However, I'd still keep KB in the "keep, but look for quite abit of improvement". I would believe that KB's playing time was affected by the arrival of Horst.

8. Budaztex

Budaztex New Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Eddie Johnson - definitely. mvp imho

Jamie Watson - yes, mistake to not sign him.

Sullivan Silva - yes.

Miguel Gallardo - proven commodity.

Gifton Noel-Williams - yes, I'm in the GNW camp. hopefully a healthy Gifton will prove his doubters wrong.

Gareth Evans - Yes. but he should be graded on the same curve as everyone else. (see Keiron)

Yordany Alvarez - definitely yes.

David Horst - yes, but with the caveat that either Keiron or Gareth would be a back up.

Zack Pope - no, sorry, maybe as a sub.

Wes Allen - nope.

AJ Godbolt - yes, very versatile.

Jarius Holmes - not sure.

Kyle Brown - nope. not in the kb camp.

Sam Reynolds - surely we wont keep 3

Kieron Bernard - Mgray - not sure how you could have missed seeing him, played in 19 games and I think he is 4th in minutes for the team. I think he will be re-signed, if he's not under contract already. He and Gareth seem to have been bullet proof from any lack of playing time irregardless of whether they allowed goals or not. Both of them are big strong kids, so I guess that is one of the qualities that Coach Heath is looking for.

Ryan Caugherty - i also heard about an acl that he injured, decent player. I think he will be re-signed.

Michael Dello-Russo - I know he got blown by in his first game (albeit it was a nice play by the other teams guy) and I haven't seen much better from him. I think they will keep him, even if for no other reason than to justify what they did this year.

Whatever happened to: Lyle Adams? not that I think he should be re-signed (I dont) just curious.

9. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So don't get me wrong, I believe that Kieron will be signed next year. I also recall watching Kieron on the backline in the first half of the season, some good, some bad. However, calling him bullet proof is interesting. I know that Kieron was out with an injury, and had several strikers blow by him forcing him to sprint and chase folks down (some successfully, some not). I would again state that I believe that I think guys like Kieron and Gareth would do well with mentoring under David Horst (if we can even get him).

Whatever we do, I would like to see our backline strengthened up more than what we've seen at times this year. There were times that they were and impregnable wall. Other times, such as the Charleston and Carolina away matches, where they absolutely disappeared.

10. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AZTEX ROSTER:

Lyle Adams = No. Would have been YES for the early part of the season, but somehow disappeared.

Josh Alcala = Borderline No. But USL-2 potential.

Wes Allen = Borderline Yes. Make or break next season.

Yordany Alvares = YES.

Kieron Bernard = Borderline Yes. Make or break next season. Needs work on speed and awareness.

Kyle Brown = NO!

Mike Callahan = Borderline No. But USL-2 potential.

Ryan Caugherty Borderline Yes. Was a no in the 1st half of the season, but made some strides.

Michael Dello-Russo = Yes due to coming into the team late. Make or break next season.

Gareth Evans = Borderline Yes. Make or break next season. Needs work on set pieces.

Miguel Gallardo = YES!

A.J. Godbolt = Yes. Useful utility player.

Jeff Harwell = YES! His services on the flanks was sorely missed during the latter part of the season.

Kyle Helton = No.

Jarius Holmes = No. But USL-2 potential.

Eddie Johnson = YES! Needs to get to improve his fitness.

Ryan McMahen = Borderline No. But USL-2 potential.

Ryan Mirsky = Borderline No.

Nick Noble = Yes. Better backup to Miguel.

Gifton Noel-Williams = Yes. Needs to get to improve his fitness.

Ciaran O'Brien = No. Already with Montreal.

Zack Pope = Sadly No. Disappeared in the 2nd half of the season. But USL-2 potential.

Sam Reynolds = Sadly No.

Kevin Sakuda = Yes. Make or break next season. However his USL-1 experience is needed in the backline.

David Sias = Borderline No.

Sullivan Silva = YES! Needs to work more on his crosses and passes.

Alex Tapp = Borderline No. Disappeared in the 2nd half of the season.

Jamie Watson = YES! Should have signed him if it wasn't for that dumbass of an FC SMU coach not releasing him before the USL-1 roster deadline.

LOANED PLAYERS:

Jean Alexandre = YES! But RSL would want him.

Mike Chabala = YES! But very unlikely. Houston will keep him.

David Horst = Yes. Would be nice to get him somehow. Very helpful in the backline.

Yohance Marshall = No.

Erik Ustruck = Borderline Yes. But very unlikely.

11. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wont make an extensive list of who I think should, and should not, stay/go but I would like to make it known that I concur with the sentiment that we need to see an increase in "roll players" and guys with leadership qualities on the pitch ,and soon, to instill some much needed consistence and disciplin into our run of play. Once those two basis are covered no one should be able to top us, mark my words.

12. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Some people grow up playing an attack that is long ball to a target forward who either feeds cutters or dumps it back (more often, the latter) for a serve in the air. They know intuitively where to be because that's the way they grew up playing. Others grew up developing the attack via a short passing game, through passes and individual runs. If this team were 60% the latter rather than 60% the former, Silva would probably be more comfortable more of the time.

We show flashes of really sharp attacking play, but they never became consistent. And I was discouraged to see all the bickering the other day, particularly all the gesticulating aimed at Silva. There is more than one way to play this game, and I wish there was more appreciation for that out there sometimes.

As to the original poster's question, I thought that the late addition, Horst, was tremendous for us. I don't know if he was a loan or is ours, but he's generally very, very solid back there.

13. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Horst is a loan from Real Salt Lake, but I, as you, would love to see him back in the red and white of the Aztex next season. I really like his command of the central backline, and believe he can be a great anchor for some of the others on the defensive end.

14. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok beside the obvious reasons for keeping Tintin

#Most goals scored in pinstripes in one season, at any level
    #His obvious love for the city and the club.
    #His experience in both MLS and USL play
    #Are obvious love for him.

He produces some excellent action pics, either that or he has a really fantastic photograther following him around.:rolleyes:

I mean the Aztex still use his goal shot from the U23s on a regular basis, for adverts and such, and check out his latests goal scoring freeze frame on the second headline on the webiste, the one featuring his interveiw.

What intensity, it's like looking at a smaller Stevie G. :D

15. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I'd like to see Jamie back again.. and Miguel, of course, assuming he doesn't move on to bigger things.. I'd love to see Yordany and Eddie Johnson back, too..

Miguel, Yordany, and Sullivan are the most likely to get picked by the bigger teams, in my opinion, out of the rest of the squad.. (you guys do realize all these upcoming friendlies are so these teams can scout our talent, right?)

16. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its my understanding that the Aztex have released some players before their trip to England. I heard that Acala was one of them. Does anyone know who else was released? The current roster on the team's website is unchanged from the end of the regular season.

17. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that any players have officially been released (such as what was reported from Vancouver on the USL website). However, I know that there's been discussion and some examples of folks that we may not see in 2010, or whom we'll see less or even on the PDL side. Some folks who I hear were Zack Pope, Josh Alcala, Alex Tapp (who I believe has already moved into an Administration role). I've not heard what's going on with others who were questionable, like AJ Godbolt, Ryan Caugherty, Sam Reynolds, etc.

18. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is my understanding that Sam Reynolds is also gone.

I haven't heard anything about Zack. I'd really like to see him stick around. I thought he created some opportunities with his speed. Good luck to all of these guys that have come through, unless they are playing against the Aztex!

19. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    people sayin kieron benard should not come back..well hes training with stoke for 2 weeks so maybe he wont lol

20. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

It looks like everyone is gone. Including Dello-Russo. And... well, everyone.

Seriously, who's left?

21. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I "cleaned house" on the wikie page and, more or less, this is what we got left, more or less.

GK Miguel Gallardo
    DF Kieron Bernard (On trial with Stoke.)
    MF Sullivan Silva
    MF Eddie Johnson
    MF Yordany Alvarez
    MF Michael Callahan
    MF Alex Tapp (Is Wolverine still active?)
    DF Kyle Helton
    MF Jeff Harwell
    MF Ryan Mirsky
    DF Kevin Sakuda
    GK Nick Noble
    FW Jamie Watson (is or isnt on contract?)
    DF Salif Diao-Jimenez

looks like the only local/young talent that survived was Jeff Harwell and Kyle Helton.

22. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Tapp has pretty much hung up his boots, and is working on the staff in the FO.

Jeff Harwell and Kyle Helton were brought up from the PDL squad, so technically, they never were permanent USL1 players.

I've not heard about whether Watson was officially signed to a contract, but with Wilmington out of USL-2 (the team who had his contract), I'm not sure he's tied to anyone.

For me, the player that really surprised me Gifton. I'll be sad to see him leave.

23. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then, for sure at this point anyway, this is all thats left of the AAFC USL-1 class of 2009.

GK Miguel Gallardo
    DF Kieron Bernard (On trial with Stoke.)
    FW Sullivan Silva
    FW Eddie Johnson
    FW Yordany Alvarez
    MF Michael Callahan
    MF Ryan Mirsky
    DF Kevin Sakuda
    GK Nick Noble
    DF Salif Diao-Jimenez

Personally I think its a good core to build up from, except like you Matt i'm gonna miss tha Gift :(

24. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we get one of these girls as our enforcer?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNmPybFK2_o"]YouTube- Cat fighting gets ugly during BYU vs. New Mexico women's soccer match[/ame]

25. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was some aggression from both teams on display there, but if you watch closely you'll see that it was mostly all one player: UNM's Elizabeth Lambert. But she said she was sorry so it's all okay now.