Who deserve's FIFA's top ranking?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Huss, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's not FIFA's decision who gets ranked #1, it's the f*cking calculations. There is a system for all of this (fair or not), not a f*cking voting panel.

2. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Um, last time I checked, we're talking about FIFA's ranking. Their "panel" IS FIFA, and they will pick Spain but you won't really see these "calculations". Besides, Spain deserves it for the time being.

3. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Let's not get carried away with corruption and conspiracy theories. FIFA doesn't pick who gets ranked where (it would be too hard), the have a mathematical point system. If Spain gets ranked #1, it's because they won the Euro, hence getting them enough points to get the spot, NOT because FIFA "picked" them.

4. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Right, like Brazil and Arg. have done SO much to rank that high. :rolleyes:

5. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Apparently so.

And what has Italy done?

Won the World Cup you say....they were ranked so low before the WC (#13 :eek:) that they didn't get enough points from it to reach and sustain the #1 ranking. Had Italy been ranked within the top 5 before the World Cup, we wouldn't be having this discussion now.

6. Edgar

Edgar Member

There's no picking involved. With a bit of effort, you could do these calculations.

Brazil and Argentina played the final of Copa America 2007. A continental tournament has a higher weighting (3) than qualifiers (2.5).

7. Edgar

Edgar Member

The July rankings have been released -> link.

Spain on top.

8. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Copa America is now every 4 years, while before it was every 2/3 years. So the average ranking of the conmebol teams should change in the future.

9. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    even based on 2008, Germany is the second..after Spain..
    Germany is better than England, Holland, France or Italy or Portugal...!

10. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The poll is many years old.

11. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    And why would Germany be better than Italy??

12. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    They aren't. Once again they got the "easy" side of the draw (not so easy as WC 2002, what a joke that was) and were very much second best to Spain. The Germans are over rated.

13. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Italy beat Germany 2-0 , in 2006, and deservedly they won that World Cup!
    I think Spain are deservedly European Champions as they beat Italy, and so are the Italians World Champions. At the moment it should be as Fifa has it,
    Spain 1 st
    Italy 2nd (although they have more history)

I also read posts that Argentina should have won the last world cup because of the draw.., If I am correct Argentina could NOT beat Germany , the same team that Italy beat in a brilliant manner !!!

14. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All I can say to any Italian is AUSTRALIA! Socceroos had ITALY beat to a pulp. Unfortunately Spain put in a helping hand. lol lol

Personally I find it funny that with the exception of 1982 (which I count as Italy's only WC) that all Italian teams that won a WC had Argentines playing for them.

VAMOS ARGENTINA ************!!!!!

15. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is the dumbest, most envious thing I have read on this site, other than the "Argentina is the best" cheerleader crap you have posted in this same thread. Are you just trying to take shots at Italy or do you really believe some of this garbage?

16. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

spain
    germany
    italy
    argentina
    brazil

17. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I am not Italian, I am not taking sides, I just stated that Spain and Italy deserve to be on top.
    As for Australia.., Italy were playing with ten men.., and who knows maybe Australian would 've beaten Germany also !
    To the Argentinians I have to say; that Italy beat the team that beat you, fair and square !!!
    I think Argentinians should not be on the list at all, for the poor sportsmanship they should during that world cup.., simply disgraceful!
    And when was the last time you won a Copa America ?
    Brazil is ahead of you, but definetly behind the Europeans!

18. robii

robii Member

Aug 27, 2005
    usa
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I forgot to add; isnt your country made up mostly of Italians ?! :D
    I think the last world cup Italy took one of your away from you anyway.

Since u are a Velez fan, is Dario Conca (Fluminense) owned by Velez ?!

19. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What this has to do with what we are talking about it beyond me, but to answer your question he is owned by River Plate.

List of Argentines on Italian World Cup Teams:
    Just a few of the oriundi that played for Italy. Now Jerrito if Argentinians didnt play on those World Cup Squads I don't know who did. I think that you better check your history before you try and blow your load on this thread.

Cheers!

20. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can you please show me the part of my post in which I mentioned argentinians playing for Italy? I seem to have forgotten it...:rolleyes:

21. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brazil and Argentina (especially) sure sunk in the rankings.

This is the lowest (#4) Brazil has been since 1994 :eek:

22. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, partly because 2 of the teams who did not make it out of our group were ranked higher than us. We were on a 2 year stretch without a loss before the WC started. Silly rankings.

23. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They couldn't beat us with 10 men, far from beating us to a pulp. :rolleyes: As of late, I'm getting the sense that the Argies are jealous of winners. Anyone else get that feeling?

24. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    Well, jerrito, the man seems to have a pretty selective memory (for example, two of our World Cups don't even count!). Italy had 10 men for the majority of the game (thanks to a very harsh red card) and yet still managed to generate more shots on target and was by far the more dangerous team going forward. Had our finishing been better, we would have beaten Australia as convincingly as NYC_Cosmos seems to require. But then again, you would think he would be more sympathetic to the bad luck of being wasteful in front of goal by watching his own team in World Cup qualifiers :rolleyes:

25. Edgar

Edgar Member

Expect them to go down next month too.

Germany will be second next month.

Probable top 50 in August 2008 -> link.