Who could/should we pick up?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by VioletCrown, Jul 29, 2008.

1. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I necessarily want Gallardo's spot seriously challenged, but this guy would be an awesome player to have. Who knows how much he'd want, though.

2. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the crappy turf that our players are going to have to play on, both home and away, and last seasons rash of injuries, I was hoping we'd see a lot more people coming in. The season's not that far off, and I'm not really keen on watching a bunch of walk-ons come July. Steve Ralston would have been nice. I hope we at least competed for him.

4. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ralston's pretty much setting himself up for a coaching job with this one. He's Technical Director, assistant coach, team captain, and I'm pretty sure they gave him the hot dog concession.

In fact I'd bet money that he does more actual coaching of ACSL than Claude "I couldn't succeed at Raith Rovers" Anelka.

Plus the Aztex want to develop players, not provide a landing spot for 35 year old ones.

5. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said sir. And truly I think we've retained the best quality from last years squad, we've all ready picked up a couple of solid, experienced, players from elsewhere. All we really need is a bit more depth an methinks we'll get that before time runs out in mid April.

I have faith in Phil and Inchy!!!

6. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, most importantly, he's from St. Louis. Kinda hard for the Aztex to compete with that.

Maybe, some day, we'll have our own player that was raised here that wants to come home and help the Aztex win another division 2 championship. But as I can't see anyone other that Miguel that might fit that description in any way, shape, or form now, that's most likely at least another 15 years in the future. Which is why I said 'another' above.:)

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hm. We might not have Eddie Johnson. Is he really still under contract? I only know of ONE instance where an MLS team bought a USL1 player. Him being called in to Seattle camp for a look-see makes me wonder if we really still have him.

8. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but the Sounders aren't most MLS organizations. ...that being said, there is still the league ownership thing...

9. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep seeing threads popping up, in one clubs thread or another, about

[​IMG]

Parently there are a lot of defectors from the national, U23 and U20 sides still floating around.

The only reason I mention it is hey we struck gold with "El Rifle" Alvarez, maybe we could pick up another diamond in the rough, or two, in a similar way that we got him.

10. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should try and nab this kid!
    the curious case of devann yao

Apparantly Red Bulls looked at him, but made no offer and he has run off to Ipswich for a few months.

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, that's confusing.

12. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And both nations speak Spanish.

It's some sort of globe spanning conspiracy I tells ya.

13. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    signed for ipswich

14. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was under the impression that this was already locked up. But hear is the good news.

Aztex President, Phil Rawlins, said “We are delighted that Miguel has signed a new contract with us. He did very well last year and fully deserves his new contract. Miguel’s season was badly interrupted by a broken leg, but he showed enough potential before the injury to lead us all to believe that he has a real future in the game. 2010 is a big year for Miguel and I know he is really looking forward to it.”

http://www.austinaztex.com/news/headlines/index.html?article_id=239

15. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was strange as well, so I went back to last year's Army article on this. I was right, in that Gallardo was signed to a 2 year contract last year (on August 7, 2008). However, the way contracts are in US leagues (and I include the non-guaranteed contracts in MLS with this statement), multi-year contracts hold very little water as a general rule.

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, I can see teams saying 'two year contract' when it's really a 'one plus optional second' or something like that. Not that I know what the specifics are in this case.

...however, if he signed for two years in August 2008, then he only has a half year left. Seems like a reasonable point to negotiate a new contract. Better in the off-season than in the middle of it!

17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I'm just glad we have him. I feel like we're lucky to have him. When he was on the PDL squad I remember thinking that this guy could be phenomenally good once he developed better judgment about coming off his line, and I think that has been an area of steady improvement. I think he'll be the difference for us a lot, assuming he stays healthy.

18. TexasBarcaFan

TexasBarcaFan Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Just caught wind of the Aztex latest signings.

Needless to say, I think all Aztex fans will be very pleased.

A defender with some MLS experience.. Very solid. Plus a forward who most Aztex fans will recognize.

Won't say anymore until the team announces it! :D

19. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leavin' us all in suspense, ehh??

20. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Sean Bowers and Roy Lassiter.

21. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wikied both of them and thas bad cheek that :p;). As far as guessing who it is, the defender, no idea, the forward, maybe "The Gift" is commin back???

22. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin is putting together a good mix of players that won't fade when they hit the wall mid-summer. I like the chances for a playoff run. Of course, the one wild card is injuries. I pray we can stay healthy and blend these new players quickly. Having soccer players, instead of athletes who play soccer, will enable the Aztex to play the beautiful game or grind it out whatever it takes.

23. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the defender is one of these two:

24. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not. Just found in email:

Eddie Johnson and Kieron Bernard Each Ink for Two More Years

Edit: I take that back. Forgot the "with MLS experience" part.

25. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, Violet, the two future candidates that are looking to be signed were not Eddie or Kieron.