Who are your top 5 favorites to win Euro 2016, and why?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I said tons of problems with Italy, and if I was that bias, I would have put Italy as number 1 favorites. England is better than Italy? OMG. England 1-2 Italy, and that was Prandelli's clueless Italy. England have improved as well maybe, but they had an easier qualifying group than Italy did. Also I think Spain is better than France. Seriously compare the players by paper, they aren't that different.

2. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    The problem with a team like Belgium is that they have a lot of talent, but the consistency needed to challenge for the WC or EC has so far eluded them. Italy's problem is the opposite: I won't pretned they never underperform, but in international soccer there's few more consistent teams, equally though, whilst I won't pretend they're team is a bunch of scrubs, they're squad looks rather weak in comparison to a number of other teams.

Now in the route mapped out for Italy's crowning as champions above, it has them emerging winners of the toughest group, facing a tough R16 and beating the 3 favourties in the quarters, semis and final. Now the problem for me with this comes in the last three matches: you have to expect at least two of those favourite teams to be firing on all cylinders and if that happens what can Italy do? Where are the players in the squad there are going to give Italy the edge?

Looking back to WC 2006, many would've said a similar thing, but back then Italy had a much better squad and a gilded route to the semis and had to win two very close games against Germany and France . For me for Italy to win they're going to need more than a bit of luck.

3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Your right Italy were miles better in 2006, but all teams were though. France 2006 was amazing as well. France now have a great team but they aren't anywhere near the days of Zidane, Vieira, Thuram, Thiery Henry, or Platini. 1998-2006 France was amazing. Teams were just better in that generation.

Here are the list of special players for each team with talent:

France: Lloris, Varane, Evra, Pogba, Matuidi, Griezmann, Giroud, Coman, Martial, Schneiderlin, Benzema (If he makes it)

Germany: Neuer, Boateng, Hummels, Ginter, Gundogan, Khedira, Kroos, Reus, Muller, Ozil, Draxler, Schurrle, Schweinsteiger (If he recovers in time which is highly unlikely).

Spain: De Gea, Ramos, Pique, Alba, Juanfran, Azpilicueta, Busquets, Iniesta, Isco, Thiago Alcantara, Koke, David Silva, Morata, Diego Costa, Alcacer, Audriz

Belgium: Courtois, Kompany, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Nainggolan, De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku

Italy: Buffon, Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli, Florenzi, Darmian, Marchisio, Verratti, Insigne, Bernardeschi

These are not all the players but the ones I'd say who actually have the talent. For Italy the players in midfield can really make a difference, and also Insigne and Bernardeschi on the wings are world class players, well Bernardeschi not yet but will be as he grows and gets older. Again the only problem is a world class striker and we will likely play a striker that is not world class or throw someone in that position, kind of like Germany. Germany have Max Kruse, and Gomez but they aren't world class so they might throw someone in that position as well, but the difference is Germany have a lot more talent on the bench than we do so they can afford to do that more than we can.

Anyway though I am sure Italy can beat Germany and France ON THEIR DAY. Italy always beat Germany, and its not like they are miles apart in talent. France are tough at home, but I honestly do think Italy have the talent and tactics to beat them. I think a lot of you are overestimating France.

France do have quality and will be tough at home, but I do think though that Spain and Germany are both better teams on paper and more complete. Italy and France are about the same level in starting squad, but France has more talent on the bench than Italy does.

Before anyone tries to argue that France are much better on paper than us, let me compare them right now:

Lloris < Buffon (Yes I know this is not 2006 but Buffon is still one of the best in the world. If you saw the saves this season and last season especially he made in the UCL you will know what I mean).
    Varane < Chiellini
    Koscielny < Bonucci
    Evra > Darmian
    Sagna < Florenzi
    Matuidi < Marchisio (I have heard some people argue with me on this, but no. Marchisio is way more versatile and really knows how to control the midfield. Also keep in mind Matuidi plays in a much easier league.)
    Pogba = Verratti
    Griezmann = Insigne (Griezmann is not better. Both are great players, but the amount of assists and goals Insigne is getting in the league is insane. They are about the same level).
    Giroud/Benzema > Pelle/Gabbiadini
    Coman = Bernardeschi (Coman is doing well at Bayern but he has many world class players behind him, that are supporting him and taking all the pressure off, while Bernardeschi is carrying Fiorentina along with Ilicic and Kalinic alone.)

4. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    I flat out think ENGLAND is going to win it this time.
    Providing Roy(who´s held in high regard here in Sweden for his initial work as trainer for Halmstad back in the mid 1970`s) has the guts to field the younger and hungrier team.
    There is finally a vitality around England I haven´t seen since..forever.
    Back in da days,I thought England 1986 could have gone all the way..providing starting with John Barnes that was..and 1990.

Comparing those teams with was is coming up to bloom now,England 2016 looks better.
    I just hope the Kent fella allows for it to burst into bloom.

Come on ENGEEERLAAND.

5. BrahmaBull

BrahmaBull Member

AS Saint-Etienne
    France
    May 7, 2014
    Italy
    Club:
    AS Saint Étienne
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I dont think Italy is going to win this, but I have to say if both Italy and Germany top their group, they will meet in the quarters, and I would bet on Italy in such a match. Germans always have troubles against them.

This said when you reach the semis difference is most of the time made by little details (excepting 7-1 rape xD)

Here are my top 5 favourites:

France: I must admit my bias towards French team, as a supporter I always think we can go far, but well, in my opinion back to 2014 we were not far at all from Germany's level. Since then they lost key player Lahm, and seemed to struggle in qualifications (World Cup impact probably though), while France's team, who was really lacking experience in world cup matured a lot.
    Griezmann as an example became undisputable in a big european club, Pogba confirmed his potential with Juve, Matuidi is doing great with PSG, etc.. Plus we have a new generation full of potential coming, as the likes of Martial, Coman, Aréola who is doing epic with Villareal and others.
    Our weaknesses are clearly the defensive players: Varane is not doing well at the moment with Madrid, Evra is getting old (we have young Kurzawa who could replace him but I dont know why Deschamps keeps trusting Digne who is a shame honestly each time he plays), and our right back side is nowhere near top class, whoever we could take.
    Also I think we might not win this euro because the team is too young yet, we might get a monster team for next world cup I assume.
    I put France favourite mostly because they only seemed to get better and better, and of course because of home advantage.

Germany: This one seems obvious to anyone who has been watching national teams football this last decade.
    Germans are always contenders, they rarely fail to meet expectations people have about them, and I'm pretty sure they will be very strong this year again.
    I dont trust recent friendlies at all concerning them, they have a very talented team and bench, they have experience even if they had a big loss when Lahm is gone, they have everything.
    Except maybe some good left and right backs.

Spain: I hesitated a lot about this third spot. Originally i would have placed Spain easily above the others, and not far from Germany and France, because let's be serious 10 seconds, even with the losses they got after the world cup ended, their squad is non arguably to me the best on paper. World class players almost everywhere and even on the bench.
    Their problem is that they have to find a new identity after their golden generation, and as a french who has been living the same situation I know its not easy at all and requires time.
    Their last games and qualifications made me worry a bit about them, they have talent for sure, I doubt a bit more about cohesion and game identity, they really have troubles against defensive teams, and god knows they will meet a lot that kind of teams in such a competition.

Italy: Contrary to Spain and Germany, Italy surprised me in the good way these last 2 years, ive seen some of their matches and they clearly are getting better, even if their players are getting older and older, and they dont have as much young talents as they usually have.
    With Italy I would say its everything or nothing.
    These last years excepting great euro it was more nothing, I expect everything to come back sooner than we think lol. Never underestimate them.
    Their weakness, contrary to Germany or France, would be in attack. No one can contest they have one of the best defenses, if not the best concerning national teams, very solid. However they really lack good players in front.
    I like a lot Insigne, but except him i dont see any top player on here.
    To put a conclusion here, I remember a nice sentence which I forgot who said it lol. "Attack wins matches, Defense wins competitions" I really think Italy's bad attack will not serve them, but I am sure they can go very far.

England: I dont think the last friendlies have any kind of importance, Germans never play friendlies, and French werent motivated when they lost to England. But, considerinf their perfect qualifications and also the game they play every match, I really haven't seen an England playing so well for a very long time.
    I do not think they have much great talents anywhere, maybe I'm wrong, and that's why I dont think they will win this. But a semi final seems more than reachable if they keep playing this way.
    I want to say also that they are in my opinion kinda in an opposite situation to Belgium.
    One of these teams have great players on paper, but they lack shape and play a very poor football, while the other seems good at best on paper, but play a very good football and looks in epic shape.
    As you can see I used to put Belgium at this spot xD but changed my mind.

Even if I put France as favourites of this Euro, I dont think they are going to win it. This is just a feeling, not any reasoned thinking over here, but I would put a piece on Spain again.

6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Honestly this is a great post. I couldn't agree more with you. Just remember that during the world cup though Germany were missing two key players that are in their primes now through injury. Gundogan and Reus.

Also for Italy we don't have another top player in attack other than Insigne but there are two young wingers we could put on the other side with loads of potential. Either Berardi or Bernardeschi. Bernardeschi is having a better season and will likely take the spot, and even though he is not top yet, he still has loads of potential, like Coman for you guys I'd say.

Also I agree with you about Spain, best team on paper overall if you include the bench. I can name some great players that are key to their clubs that likely won't even make the final-23 for Spain.

Is it true Varane is not doing well at Real Madrid? I thought he was having a good season but I could be wrong as I am not following him closely there. Also for you as a France supporter if Benzema doesn't go who should you put up front? Grioud, Lacazette, or Martial maybe?

What is your best starting lineup in your opinion? I think this but not 100% sure:

-Griezmann-Giroud-Coman-
    -Matuidi-Schneiderlin-Pogba-
    -Evra-Varane-Koscielny-Sagna-
    -Lloris-​

Of Course put Benzema up front if he makes it.

7. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A real long shot but I have Austria as my dark horse. They will win their group and make it to the SF.

NickK repped this.
  8. BrahmaBull

BrahmaBull Member

AS Saint-Etienne
    France
    May 7, 2014
    Italy
    Club:
    AS Saint Étienne
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Yep! At the moment Varane is not really in nice shape, Ramos and Pepe are number 1 and 2 defenders and will not move easily. He stays too much time on the bench, sadly, but well we can't rage at Zidane if hes not doing well xD
    But honestly even a bad Varane is better than most of our center backs, and Deschamps will never let him on the bench unless he does terrible with national team, like he did with Benzema once.

I also agree about Reus and Gundogan, actually i wanted to talk about them but completely forgot while writting lol

As for Benzema, I honestly think he will be back before euro, because everyone is now tending to say so, our president told politics to shut the ******** up about that case, Deschamps and french federation president LeGraet kept saying that they needed him, judges are trying to speed up decisions in his favor, well this case is totally rubbish if you ask me.
    Anyway in France contrary to outside, most of people think that we do not need Benzema anymore, because we have enough young talent to replace him, and that we don't want a player that is capable of threatening others in any way.
    Though Im one of the few who think french team + Benzema is obviously better than french team without Benzema lol.

Now if he really doesnt make it the the euro, I'm kinda sure Deschamps is gonna put the front line we have seen against Germany: he said Payet will be in euro, that he scored much points (true that he has been doing epicly well but that was just a friendly), and he likes a lot Giroud because hes our only player with his own style, while our other front players are more about speed and percussion.
    Also since Lassana Diarra is having a great season in Marseille (him and Mandanda are holding this catastrophy team as much as they can) Deschamps is going to put him on the field for sure in the euro, he has experience and he is a real number 6, and we are lacking this a lot (Schneiderlin and Cabaye are more 8 naturally)

This is the team I think Deschamps will put:

-Payet-Giroud-Griezmann-
    -Matuidi-Lassana Diarra-Pogba-
    -Evra-Koscielny-Varane-Sagna-
    -Lloris-

But if it was about me I would trust more the youth, that is a big risk but well we have people like Evra or Diarra on the back to motivate them when things are going bad, and better see an unexperienced attack than defense xD which would be a let down.
    Anyway, here is the team I would like to see:

-Martial-Griezmann-Coman-
    -Matuidi-Diarra-Pogba-
    -Evra-Koscielny-Varane-Sagna-
    -Lloris-

9. VaiBrasil

VaiBrasil Member

May 20, 2014
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  10. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    I think we are a contender for top 5...
    We come with a good team, a better goalkeeper than before and overall more depth.
    Croatia is on his way to be among the dark horses in the next competitions.
    First team is qualified for euro with some world class players (3 champions league winners, few europa league winners)
    The u21 just defeated Spain 3-0 i Spain and are ahead of Spain and Sweden at this right moment in this groupe after playing Spain twice/
    The u19 just beat Belgium u19 4-0 today and are qualified for the next euro.
    The u17 arrived in 1/4 finals of the last u17 world cup, beating germany in round 16...

I think this year will be good, but future is promising for our national team.

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    My favorite France lineup would be
    ----------------------------Lloris
    Jallet----------Koscielny--------Varane-----------Evra
    -------Pogba-------------Kante---------Matuidi
    -------Ben Arfa-------Griezmann------Payet

12. Marco Delvecchio

Marco Delvecchio Red Card

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    France and Germany joint favourites. I have England doing well with a good list and impressive qualifying results.

Italy. Never underestimate us. Sure were average in qualifying but we still went undefeated. Before the Germany game was had only lost once under conte and that was against Portugal where we were desperately unlucky. We progress far once we make it past the group and being that 3 teams can make it, we should. Being in France we should feel comfortable as it's close to italy.

Austria and Poland are my dark horses. Maybe Croatia. Modric, Manzdukic and Perisic are genuine quality. Dangerous team.

Portugal. On paper should have little trouble with the group handed to them. Austria and Iceland however might spring a surprise. Portugal showed they can grind out results in qualifying so maybe they can do different this time. 2 quarter final, semi finals and a final appearance in their last 5 euro's proves they know how I get it done. I'm not convinced however. Could meet italy or Belgium in the 2nd round and I think they will meet their match.

Spain havnt proved their worthy of favouritism to me. Qualifying wasn't pretty. They're not what they used to be. In saying that many teams looked average in qualifying and the tournament proper is a different ball game.

For me france and Germany are the likely to win it. There they could meet an England, an Italy or a Portugal/Belgium. Poland and Austria could make the semis too.

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1. France
    2. Germany
    3. Spain
    4. Italy
    5. Portugal
    HMs: England, Austria, Poland

I don't think Belgium is a contender despite having extraordinary strength on paper; they just don't seem to click as a collective for whatever reason.

14. Thomas1930

Thomas1930 Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I really think England can finally do it! They have an interesting squad, I would definitely start with Kane and Vardy up front (sorry Wayne, you're on the bench ;). Also France and as always Germany are the favorites.
    I hope Poland can be the dark horse of the tournament. I would be happy with the QF

15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it's early to start hyping England too much at this point for three reasons:
    1. Roy Hodgson is still the manager, and I don't think he has the courage to truly unshackle the team and start a very young team with an attacking style, even though the best players in England's pool are young and suited to attacking football. His conservative instincts will get the better of him and at least two of Rooney, Henderson, and/or Milner will probably play, hampering the players around them.

2. England's core players are young, as noted above, and mostly have zero international tournament experience. Vardy, Kane, Ali, Stones all have no experience. Those with experience aren't that good.

3. England have a relatively weak "spine", so to speak. The central midfielders and the center backs will not, IMO, hack it against the likes of Spain, France, Germany, or even necessarily Italy in a competitive tournament environment.

Huddsblue, Marcho Gamgee and RobTheFool repped this.
  16. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You guys were really disappointing at the WC. I just can't bring myself to trust Croatia until I see it since then.

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    but Croatia were robbed hugely against Brazil.

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And then got pasted by Mexico.

Sleeper and JJV1994 repped this.
  19. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep, our defence is a bit weak in the centre.. Wilshere is coming back and Henderson is currently injured so that is a plus, but still Milner will certainly be included and Roy will probably start Rooney as well.

I think if we could get some decent CBs we could make a shot for the SF, but honestly you never know with us, and I certainly would not rank us among the favourites, however exciting our young forward players may be.

20. Marco Delvecchio

Marco Delvecchio Red Card

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Imagine vardy, a 4th division player or whatever he was wins the epl then the euros in one season. Madness! It could happen. Vardy and Kane form an awesome strike force. England have some good youth mixed with experience. They could do it

Once again the smart money is on France or Germany to win it. Austria and Poland could make the semis.

21. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    England do gave great talent up front but in the back they can be useless especially in full backs. Still a good team though. Croatia as well could do it.

Huddsblue repped this.
  22. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Kante has shown great potential but Lass Diarra has been the BOSS in the holding midfield role for France. He has been a big reason for their confidence as of late.

As for Ben Arfa, he wont be at the Euros, but Martial and Coman will.

23. Huddsblue

Huddsblue New Member

Apr 12, 2016
    We've got one great talent - Harry Kane. Think we'll perform much better than in Brazil but don't think we're good enough or experienced enough to win it this time.

24. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    It's easier to deal with croatia when only a tie get you to next round and Croatia has to win...and the match against Brazil made this situation.
    We have more depth than 2 years ago and a better gk.
    we will be much more dangerous for any team at o-0 with only one surviving than in the round system where teams CAN calculate us with the tie and goals différences....

25. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There are a lot of injuries to report that we know about now. Some teams will be missing huge key players.

Germany: Schweinsteiger, Draxler

France: Benzema (Banned)

Italy: Marchisio

This is whats up so far. Most of these players will be huge blows for their team.