Who are some of the worst managers ever?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by world soccer magazines, Nov 14, 2017.

1. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
  2. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Maradona...

world soccer magazines repped this.
  3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    For Wilmots: let's see if the once fancied and talked up Roberto Martinez will do better. I doubt it. He still has to beat one team of note, something that Wilmots accomplished (in friendlies) with players who were less advanced in their careers. No, he is not good, but I doubt whether he's among the worst. I doubt whether Martinez will do better.

For Van Basten: for quite a part this depends on how the level of his material is assessed. If his players barely (or not) make the 'best 23' of a certain year, then the standards can't be too harsh.

In qualifiers he achieved 81% of the possible points, compared to 83% for the full 2000 to 2013 period. The largest defeats he suffered are two 1-3 losses, courtesy of an own goal by his player and at the other 1-3 loss two goals in extra time (by supercharged Russia). The other 4 losses were all by one goal (a 2-1 defeat and three 1-0 defeats). Furthermore, at the big tournaments he accomplished a draw against Argentina, a win against dark horse Ivory Coast and wins against France and Italy (and does the UEFA like it to lose several hundredth millions? no they don't, enter the Nations League).

If you manage 52 games with a country of 16 million and only lose 6 games (only narrowly) then you can't be one of the worst managers ever.

He had also a (small but meaningful) role in the careers of Ibrahimovic and Luis Suarez. At least he had the coaching skill to improve players a bit. Ask for yourself if Zidane is still Zidane if he would coach (and start his career) at a smaller team, that's an unknown.

MvB is only seen as a failure because he was by a majority judged as Europe's best ever striker (or at least quite possibly so), and because people implicitly compare him to Cruijff. But by those standards almost everyone is a failure.

Let me conclude with his own words in 1996, later repeated: "I found out that out of ten so-called top coaches only one is really able to improve the team. Six out of ten do no harm and three out of ten even manage to make the team worse."

4. LiftYourGame

LiftYourGame New Member

Manchester United
    Nov 17, 2017
    Moyes. What the hell was Ferguson thinking...

5. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Moyes did better job than Van Gaal with less trust and patience from the board. I have never understood why he didn't get as much hate as Moyes.

6. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
    #7 world soccer magazines, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    There are billions of managers in soccer history or whatever. It's not an exact science. I think if you're in the bottom 50 percent of those managers you're among the 'worst'. If you want, just rename the thread 'bad managers'. I think Wilmots is a very bad manager.
    Nice research, but I thought the Netherlands were poor at the 2006 WC. I thought they played well in two games at euro 2008, then got beat by a Russia team who had inferior players but a better manager (Hiddink).
    Let's not bring population into this. Van Basten had a lot of good players to work with during that era. If I remember correctly, he left a lot of them out because of their egos and benched Van Nistelrooy in a big game. Fair enough, but I don't think he achieved anything special at all considering the players he had.
    Small certainly. Meaningful? Very doubtful.
    What does this prove? Van Basten is saying most managers are rubbish. He's one of them.

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    OK, that makes sense. I can sympathize with the view that both Wilmots and Martinez belong to the bottom 50%. Difficult to really say, but makes sense.

Understand here however that Belgium has it naturally difficult to attract the best staff, from nutritionists to analysts.

My argument is not that he "achieved anything special" per se, but just that he doesn't belong among the 'poor managers' bracket.

There have been plenty champions or finalists though who don't play impressive, except for one or two games, but have the 'luck' to meet the stronger and grinding teams (costing injuries, yellows, fatigue) later in the tournament. Most finalists only need to beat one or two of the traditional elite sides. The Netherlands is usually not seeded (even if with a high ranking) and therefore they meet the stronger sides, including pre-tournament favorites, early. Against those stronger sides he wasn't humiliated.

The Russia game is a sensitive point and one can make the case he didn't do well. From the tactics to man managing the Boularhouz tragedy. On the other hand, it is a recorded fact that the Russians ran 2.0 kilometers more per player in the game, and in that scenario even the Guardiolas of this world would have a tough task. There is only so much a manager can do when the opponent runs that much more per player. Besides, in potential Russia is always dangerous. In football they aren't a giant, but in general sports organization and/or sports politics they are a behemoth (tip: the acclaimed documentary 'Icarus' for general insight on their organizational capabilities and international wheeling and dealing).

Why wasn't he "one of the worst" managers - in addition to what was stated in previous post, for this in my view.
    • In qualifiers he achieved 81% of the possible points in this period. Italy 79%, Spain 76%, Portugal 73%, France 70%, England 72%. Germany did not need to qualify for 2006. It is higher than the other UEFA teams, higher than Czech Republic, higher than Croatia.
    • Against the traditional elite teams he played 8 games and lost 1 match (against Italy in 2005, 1-3 defeat with an own goal). He was never humiliated with 4-0 or 5-0 (and even if that had happened once it wouldn't have been that bad; it happened to many of the super great managers).
    • Over the full 2000s decade the Netherlands is 3rd in the (often accurate) Elo ratings. His stint contributed to that assessment.
    • Seedorf, Van Bommel and RvN were already lukewarm stories for the national team before MvB entered the job.

Yes I agree with "anything special" (I'd say the same for some of the successful managers though). That is however something different than "one of the worst".

"Considering the players" makes me wonder: by which standards exactly? What are we thinking of? During his period as national team manager only two Dutch players made the ESM team of the year. Only four players made the Ballon d'Or list (and in 2005 and 2006 no Dutchman made the list). Those things are certainly not perfect, but by claiming "lot of good players" I wonder how that is comparatively assessed.

Because in part it defines the upper limits what is possible, over a longer period of time and when you're an established danger, a money burner. You also see it now with the Nations League; it is intentionally designed to keep Iceland or Portugal at bay (in the prospectus marketed to 'partners' as "Champions League for nations"). You saw it in the 1970s when for a fact the UEFA downgraded the #2 ranked Dutch league back to literally Greece, Iceland and Denmark level for no reason (financially and in terms of entry spots, seeding, and other assistance).

His point was (and is) that the really good managers are few and far between. I tend to agree with him. He himself was a caretaker, not a difference maker, when zooming out the perspective.

8. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don’t have the ability or the energy to provide a post as insightful or as informative as the ones above. But someone else who seemed to lack ability and energy in a post was Alan Ball who was a World Cup winner with England, clearly part of an old boys network and a truly dreadful coach.

9. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
    #10 world soccer magazines, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    All good points Puck.

What about Van Basten's club career? He finished third in the dutch league with the biggest club. From what I read, he spent a lot of money at Ajax. The previous season before he came they did better, the season after he left they did better. At Heerenveen again it was much the same; better before he came, got them knocked out of Europe right away, maybe 9 or so points worse when he left. He didn't win or achieve anything in club management.

Even Steve Mclaren won the Dutch league with FC Twente!
    I think Netherlands had a lot of quality players then.

Euro 2004 they reached the semi finals only to be knocked out by a long-range goal from the hosts. WC 2010 they reached the final only to lose to an extra-time goal to one of the greatest international sides ever.

Sandwiched between we have Van Basten's mediocre WC second rd and Euro 2008 quarter/effectively second rd. It seems to be a recurring theme that as soon as Van Basten comes, no matter what stats you throw out, the final result is worse.

I don't understand why he left some of the big names out. I'm sure some had big egos but maybe Van Basten's ego was the biggest of all? Leaving out Makaay for example, and selecting Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink. Maybe Makaay wasn't great for the Netherlands but Jan Vennegoor Of Hesselink!? Maybe Van Basten was a poor man manager who couldn't deal with big players?
    Maybe you're right; it's not like we have a lot to go on. You obviously are Dutch and know more about Dutch football than me. Looks like we'll never know how good/bad he could be now however as it looks like he's packed it in for good.

10. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Has anybody said Maradona yet? Bad manager.