Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^Ah i dont look at BS other than the Caps area (no time really.. lol). Thanks for the info. Well, give him credit for not giving up! I am intrigued to see if this lasts or if he is a fringe player by the summer like his last several gigs.

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    EARLY SEASON OBSERVATIONS:

1. after watching jordon mutch for about 30 minutes as a sub, he will be your typical grunt player from england- hard-nosed with a little skill, but definitely not game changer- teibert is a better player because he is quicker and can pass-link better- but jordon came on the cheap and will be used as a filler due to fatique and/or injury

2. kei kamara (2 goals, 1 assist so far) has been the steal of the off-season- he easily outplays the best days of fredy montero and if he stays healthy, will be a great addition- his work ethic and game smarts is terrific and his relationship with the KID- davies- has blossomed already- the team coach and FO got this one right on

3. jordy reyna is a shell of himself when compared to last july- the off-season happenings took its its toll (and maybe its not over), or he isnt interested in being here, or he's just living up to his MO which has seen him move multiple times in his career

4. juarez has been a decent signining

5. nerwinski's average play might be partly attributable to reyna playing on his side- yordy isnt known for his tracking back to help

6. Caps continue to be a poor ball possession team on the road (under 30% yesterday) and yet sneak a win with determined play... and maybe lady luck

7 with 6/6 points, the Caps, columbus and LAFC are the MLS surprise teams

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  4. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    1. I haven't seen enough to judge Mutch yet. Easy to spot and follow as he is very Casperish.

2. Kei Kamara. Small sample but I'd say he is the best forward we've had.

3. Jordy Reyna. He probably gets one more mediocre outing then gets benched.

4. Juarez. Solid if somewhat unspectacular.

5. Nerwinski. Like you said if Reyna is LM not much help. When Techera is there at least he tries but is somewhat ineffective

6. One good game, one bad game and 2 wins. I'll take it. I don't mind a road bunker mentality.

7 There is nothing surprising about LAFC. The owners are dead serious. Just look who they got for coach.

5. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    He struggled defensively 1 v 1 last year, too. He was poor against Lovitz last week. He's good going forward but he'll need better support throughout the season.

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with Nerwinski. All outside backs need someone solid in front of them but Nerwinski, especially. On the goal that Houston did score, Caps were all over the place (Reyna was in the middle) and Nerwinski got sucked inside. The 4-3-3 was pretty much a disaster and Caps were lucky to get out with a win.

Not sure a midfield trio of Teibert, Felipe and Juarez is going to work over the long haul. They are all good players in their own right, but not sure they complement each other that well. I have a feeling it won't be long until we see the 4-2-3-1 with Ghazal back in there. Maybe they can get the 4-3-3 sorted out but can't see it with Reyna. He is pretty much a CAM or nothing.

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    you are right- reyna can only be effective in the #10 role- he seems really distracted and uninspired- i just hope he behaves himself OFF the field

its nice to see 3 canadians as starters- davies, de jong and teibert-

the MF is filled with mediocrity and it will be a constant juggling to keep it consistent from game-to-game- i do like teibert's ability to connect passes at a high rate and he has a strong work ethic; ghazal is slow but methodical and reliable; felipe is steady, experienced and durable; techera has wheels and is good at set pieces; reyna of last july was electric, but i am not convinced he will last the year; davies is a greyhound with teeth and unless fatique sets in, should always be a starter; mutch needs game sharpness, but his role will mainly be as a spot sub; juarez will usually be a starter, but he has logged a lot of miles so he will need to be rested from time-to-time;mezquida is mr. reliable and never fails to put in a good shift; shea will be effective in a long sub role; and then you have 2 rookies in norman and levis

as you see, the caps have a lot of MFs, but only 1 player has the potential to really grab the headlines (unless reyna resurrects his form from last summer)

i still believe that any high success team needs 1 high quality MF and davies is the only player capable of that role- can a 17 year old be THE MF MAN??

8. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    It's a shame that they lost Nosa because he looked to be the kind of big engine, box to box guy who destroy in all areas of the pitch and get the ball to the technicians. Reyna's a second forward type who's much better in a free range role than stuck on the flank, especially when he has to be more defensively diligent to support the fullback behind him.

I'd be very doubtful if either of the two rookie Canadians see notable action in this midfield. Levis hasn't played a minute of preseason and there has been no word on his health status. His best chances will be at LB and even then, with the draft pick Fiddes unsigned and perhaps still injuried, I would not be surprised in the least that another journeyman type LB gets brought in should De Jong be out for long term. For the shorter, Davies will be that LB starter. Norman featured a lot in preseason but there are a lot guys ahead of him. His first start will be against the Impact in the Vees Cup.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure Ghazal stays out of the line up when he gets healthy. Teibert is for sure the better passer and is a pit bull, bit I think his size limits him a bit as a screen in front of the back four. I could see Teibert aside of Ghazal in a 4-2-3-1, but then Felipe and Juarez are effectively benched. I think there are a number of decent midfielders to play the middle, but you have to get the right combination.

Agree that Techera is the better choice out wide right even though he isn't the greatest defender himself, but more willing than Reyna. Franklin would be the better defender at RB, but he won't get up the flank or handle the ball as well as Nerwinski. Everything is a trade-off...

11. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Two expensive key newcomers on the bench. Not going to happen. Rusty is undeservedly going to be getting the shaft.

12. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I see that Edgar got called up to the New Zealand friendly. With the other Canuck Caps being held back for the Galaxy match, and with Henry probably still out, that would leave the club with three CBs. So, is he not going to be signed by the Caps?

13. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Edgar is not signed but they still list him on the club website as of a few days ago last time I looked. My guess is Carl will see how Edgar plays. They might not want to commit to him unless they have an injury.

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the case. Wonder if Teibert could fill in at LB? Quick, great work rate, tenacious and sweet left foot. Different playing on flank than middle, but maybe??? Davies looked good back there and Shea played some LB at Orlando, but there needs to be some depth covering the left side.

15. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Because he's not signed, the club didn't acknowledge his NT call up. They did recognize the gamer for eMLS, however.

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ^lol.... yes, i saw the eMLS thing :) More important than David Edgar I guess.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    with a passing rate in the 90% level, how can the head coach not make teibert a starting DMF? who else has that kind of number along with a tenacious pitbull approach with some quick mobility and game smarts- rusty has earned the spot

18. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    If he can keep putting up Xavi Hernandez type passing stats and play solid defence then he gets it. If the other team has very large, physical mids I would probably go with Aly/Mutch.

22/25 passes completed against Houston. Great percentage and about half as many as the Montreal game.

19. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    In the latest interview with the coach, after returning from Houston, he said Marcel had spent the night in hospital but had travelled back to Vancouver with the team. He didn't train with the team yet. Some good news.

What is with Canadian players on Vancouver getting injured? Teibert (foot), Adekugbe (ribs), Edgar (knee) and Marcel (rib). 2 during play and 2 off field injuries. It is beginning to weird me out.

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    karma for the cheap, small vision owners

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teibert is injured?

22. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Long ago. It was 1st or 2cd season where he injured his foot bad off field.

23. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    We have had a lot of injuries throughout the club over the years. i am not sure this is a different trend. Those Chileans were always limping around, one of our Americans blew out his achilles, the Peruvian missed several months last year. Our Argentinian DM missed a chunk of last season. An Englishman got beat up by a bike rack of all things. I am jesting, but I don't think this is a "Bad luck for canadian players" thing.

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    yordy reyna is sure invisible when he's on the field- robo has him playing a wide role which doesnt suit his style of play- its like being sent to soccer in serbia- isolated and ineffective- he looks lost in space

25. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    He is lost it seems. Whether that is just who he is, or has something to do with the incidents in Peru, I don't think they can waste starting spots on him much longer.