Whisk(e)y

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by chiladd, Jan 28, 2006.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

Thanks. I don't like it... :/

2. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    The Caribbean Cask might be my favorite bottle of scotch. Liquid gold is right.

Moishe and freekickwiz repped this.
  3. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    [​IMG]

I was expecting an onslaught and I got some subtlety. Not a bad bottle at all, especially since I don't really drink Islays. Looking for a bottle of The Sixteens now.

Moishe repped this.
  4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    What'd that run?

5. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    IIRC, I think 132 and change. I got it back in NYC when I was visiting my family in the beginning of the summer, just got around to opening it, was working on another bottle.

6. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  7. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    It's official then, young whisky is a fad driving up the prices of stuff. I do really like 'em, but that's awfully steep for something that young.

8. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I have a bottle of quarter cask that I plan on using as a molotov cocktail when the revolution comes. Can't stomach the stuff.

9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll tell you what, I'll send you my address so that bottle can make its way to a loving liver. In turn I will scour ebay to find you something your speed like Zima:D

10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Well played.

Dr. Wankler, TallTowerMan and Moishe repped this.
  11. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I know, I know, bourbon. But this stuff really doesn't have a bite. Kind of remarkable.

[​IMG]

Waiting for the Leopold Bros. Maryland Rye to be restocked.

12. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. One, really glad I've found this thread. Two, if you like bourbon, you should be drinking this:

babybourbon-300x300.jpg

Just a warning: if you like your bourbon on the rocks, the corn flavor will be almost overwhelming (to me it was, anyway). If you like that, have at it, but I drink it neat.

Lastly,

Question to everyone: if you're making Old Fashioned, do you guys use the ENTIRE sugar cube? Because I'm beginning to feel like that makes it a little too sweet for me. I don't know if that's weird. For context, I'm making an Old Fashioned with a sugar cube, 3 dashes of bitters (there can only be one), bourbon (been using Bulleit lately) and a peel of orange skin. None of that muddling the food or cherry bullshit.

Cheers.

The Double repped this.
  13. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    It is however you like it. I like a full cube. Chances are, if you don't, you're using not enough booze.

davidcaspian repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Huh. I missed this: that explains why, in late July, I kept getting notices from bigsoccer telling me I can't put Moishe on ignore because he is a moderator. "WTF? Why would I put him on ignore?"

Turns out during the last bigsoccer upgrade I took advantage of a new program that would automatically put people on my ignore list for mentioning Zima. Totally forgot about it.

Mystery solved.

15. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally use two ounces. Do you use more?

16. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Yeah. My way isn't always advisable though.

Moishe repped this.
  17. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    But really though, a general guideline is that martini type mixed drinks should end up with about 3 oz total drink. Some of that will be offset by how you mix the drink, whether you use a shaker, and so on. I typically make mine at home about 4 to 5 oz, but that might be excessive by some standards, but it's better for me (it's much less hassle from the harpy...er wife when I visit the bottle fewer times). Standard pours are often still listed at 1.5 - 2 oz, but freepourers at good establishments will usually give you 2. From there, these types of drinks usually then start with an up or a rocks pour, which would add anywhere from .5 to 1 oz. Anyhow, the point is that 3 oz wouldn't be considered excessive most places.

18. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the tip, especially the part about your wife; I run into the same problem!

19. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Strangely, I don't recall typing any of that. Wife, if you're reading, someone else was using my computer.

20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a very nice rye that is relatively "local" to Washington DC (Purcellville, VA). It's become my go to rye.

[​IMG]

They also make a good gin, and a sort of moonshine they call "Mosby's Spirit" which is not for the faint of heart. It's corn whisky without any coloration

http://catoctincreekdistilling.com/

21. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    I've just come into some unexpected cash. I've set aside about $200 for "fun things."

You can see earlier that I'm a bourbon drinker, but any suggestions for whiskey (Scotch or bourbon) that would be about $100-ish? Also, I know that blends are probably as controversial as bourbon, but has anyone had Johnny Walker Blue? Worth the price?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

22. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnnie Walker Blue is not worth the price, IMO. I'd go with Macallan, Glenfidditch, or Glenlivet.

My personal favorite is Macallan 18 year (I know others will disagree), but it clocks in at $200. The Glens are cheaper alternatives and many would argue that they're just as good, if not better.

If you've got the cash, I'd stock up on Hudson Valley's bourbons. $50 a bottle if you can track them down.

JohnW repped this.
  23. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Macallan 18 is getting scarce no? I thought they rebranded their lines using colours (Gold, Amber, Red)? If you can get a bottle of it great - I'd personally recommend a Scapa in the ~$100 range.

24. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Johnny blue definitely not worth the price. Not a bad scotch just nothing special enough from the other expressions in the line.

When asking for a recommendation it is important to factor that everybody has different preferences in regions and from there distilleries within said region.

With a $200 budget I would opt for two different brands that I could compare off one another. If you've read all or most of this thread you would know I absolutely love Laphroaig while others are pansies and can't stomach it...the burden of manliness I guess is too much for some

With that said, my suggestions would be Laphroaig cask strength, Lagavullin, Talisker, Oban or Dalwhinnie which gives you a nice cross section of locales to play with

JohnW, TallTowerMan and freekickwiz repped this.
  25. TallTowerMan

TallTowerMan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    On the Blue, it is the smoothest scotch I ever had. That being said, it doesn't have the character that manly men like Moishe:)D) like in their scotch. You can get real smooth scotches for about $50 that rival the blue but I have yet to find one that surpasses it.

I do keep a bottle in my cabinet. It is not my go-to scotch but I break it out for special visitors that have never had it. Most are loathe to pay the price and are really appreciative to be able to try it on someone elses dime.

JohnW and Moishe repped this.