Which teams will debut as first-timers in Brazil 2014?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Dr. Gamera, Jun 22, 2011.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's an understatement! One of the worst PK calls ever! Not even sure if the ball hit his arm and he was even outside the box. LMAO!

Would Traore replace Bance? Cuz they can do without him.

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    No. He would probably replace Nakoulma. For some unknown reason Bance remains the target man. Would be best if Nakoulma stays on and Traore replaces Bance, but not gonna happen.

3. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not watching but Ethiopia holding so far. Not a surprise as Nigeria did nothing in qualifying until the 80th minute in 5 of the 6 games they've played.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And Ethiopia get gifted a goal. Wow! That's poor from the linesman.

5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    But they also were denied a goal in the first, so it evens out :)

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    First one didn't look like it was over either. I didn't see a good angle of it but judging by the shadows, that ball did not cross the line.

Anyway justice done as Nigeria win and surely cannot be stopped now.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Actually I was pretty sure the shadow was over the line when I watched the replays. Nonetheless another reminder why goal-line technology needs to be a standard at this level.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Goal line technology would probably be too expensive at this level. Unless FIFA want to pick up the tab.

9. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't rocket science... add two sensors to goal, FIFA supplies balls with sensors. When sensor in ball is X distance over goalline sensors, have it go off in refs ear or watch or whatever. A high school student could probably come up with a device that would work 99% off the time for something like $50. I'm sure some company at BIG ENGINNEER can figure it out.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I just did a quick google and the prices seem quite high to install the "hawk-eye" technology.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...installation-total-300-000.html#ixzz2hcbfsEYT
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

11. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, about that, as expected Klinsmann was talking nonsense. He didn't call up Bradley or Dempsey due to injury. Then after the Jamaica game sent home Howard, Besler, Donovan and Jones. Panama looks pretty good for a win at home here, but they also need Mexico to lose to Costa Rica.

12. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that pissed me off. With only a few matchdays left I wanted to play our best team as much as possible

13. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Hawk-eye is the most expensive of the approved goal line technology systems. That would be the system likely to be used in the World Cup and other international tournaments.

GoalRef would be significantly cheaper, and is the system meant to be used in matches where less money is available.

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well we've finally got ourselves a first time qualifier...

[​IMG]

Bran, Rostam, zahzah and 1 other person repped this.
  15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Iceland into the playoffs!!! If they draw Greece I wouldn't be surprised if they actually manage to pull through!

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be too surprised either as Greece always seems to get draws like that these days...

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armenia are still alive ... technically I think a winner vs. Italy in these last 20 mins would put them through to the playoffs if I'm not mistakes...

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    No. Armenia at best will have 15 pts, whereas second placed Denmark has 16 pts already. They are out.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh ... nevermind, didn't see that yeah Armenia is out.... :geek:

20. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    They wouldn't have gotten in the playoffs anyway as Denmark were the worst second-placed team.

21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No that's not true, just because Denmark were the worst 2nd placed teams, that doesn't mean that Armenia would've automatically suffered the same fate, had Armenia beaten Italy and gone through as the 2nd placed team, they would've had 15 points. However, 12 of those points would've counted as vs. top 5 placed teams as they only got 3 points vs. Malta. That would've put Armenia ahead of and eliminated Croatia in the 2nd placed team standings as Croatia only got 11 points from their games again the top 5 in their group. But it's all moot as even a win vs. Italy would've put Armenia one point behind Denmark anyway. But had Armenia qualified as runners up from that group, they would've gone through at Croatia's expense. I bet Armenia are really regretting that home loss against Malta which was their ultimate undoing in the end. They would be in the playoffs had it not been for that. But this is the 2nd time Armenia have made an impression in qualifying after just finishing behind Ireland in Euro 2012 qualifying, and losing the penultimate game after having their goalkeeper sent off. With 24 teams qualifying for Euro 2016, maybe Armenia can finally make a major tournament.

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  22. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah, Armenia is becoming a good team. I can see them comfortably qualifying for Euro 2016.

23. Fuera del Area

Jun 27, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of the four potential FTQ left (Iceland, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, and Jordan), Iceland probably has the best chance if they don't draw Portugal or Croatia. I have a feeling that Algeria's two away goals will haunt the Burkinabés.

24. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for that whole losing-to-Malta-at-home thing.

25. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They must still be kicking themselves for that result.

They did well after that match though.

0-4 win against Denmark.
    1-2 win against Czech Republic.
    0-1 lost to Denmark,
    2-1 win against Bulgaria.
    2-2 draw against Italy.

You can't deny that they're improving. They did well in Euro 2012 qualifier too.