which seeded team will do the worst in the wc 2006?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Colm, Dec 6, 2005.

1. El_PoToSiNo

El_PoToSiNo Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    San Luis FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Because Spain is good. Just fraidy cats like Mexico.........we have the potential to do great but dont and just be glad Spain has gotten to quarters I have yet to see that from Mexico in my lifetime. I would celebrate if it happened so be HAPPY DAMMIT :D

2. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be Italy, after we beat them, and then they tie with Ghana to a surprise last minute PK, then, CR either beats or ties with them, while we get through on 2 wins 1 loss, the Czechs on 2-3 wins and 0-1 ties, and the Italians go home early. :D

3. gullaci(mvfc)

gullaci(mvfc) New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    melbourne, aus
    If you look purely on personnel, then Mexico will probably exit the tournament earliest, plus it is based in europe, also makes it tough. That said, when you look at their group, Mexico should at least make it to the second round. Anyone that voted for Germany after the draw came out should seek medical attention. Spain...always a popular choice, but seriously with their squad they have to have one good tournament, dont they?
    I'm an italian-australian, which leads me to believe that Italy will qualify from their group, but then get knocked out by Australia in the second round ;) .
    The rest, Brazil, Argentina, England, Holland should go close to winning it.
    Meh i voted for mexico, but at the world cup, anything can happen.

4. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I honestly feel that Mexico will win a WC before Spain does...so i think Spain will do the worst..maybe even France....i feel that this WC will be full of surprises tho.....so anything can happen.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing about Spain and Mexico, (together with quite a few teams to be honest), is that they lack the psycholigical strength of some of the Northern European sides. Note: I'm not talking about England here ;)

The Germans are usually very strong mentally in their approach to the game. he English usually try and get by on simple aggression and a 'never-say-die' attitude which, whilst being very worthy in a sort of John Wayne kinda way, doesn't usually get you too far. This is why we always have a problem against Scandinavian teams. I mean, a team from a country that invented the Volvo isn't one that's going to become too emotional about things, is it.

Truth is that Brazil or possibly Argentina would probably win every WC but they don't because they get upset playing in Europe every 8 years. Their 'emotional strength', (for want of a better phrase), is found wanting.

If you look back at the teams that have won it they usually have 7 or 8 good players and one exceptional one. We've got Rooney at the moment and if he can avoid chinning someone before he scores a couple of goals we could do well.

We'll see, I suppose.

6. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Mexico is a country with 100 million people and a not insubstantial amount of investment in football, but with ridiculous federation politics. Maybe Brazil can overcome those sorts of problems, but Mexico always seems to struggle with them.

Which is a long way of saying, I think Mexico's spot among the seeds is probably deserved even though most of you haven't heard of any of their players.

7. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Well you'd be surprised how many people kno about Mexico and their Players after the performance they gave in Germany for the Confederations Cup..i was watching an interview the other day on how a tv station in Germany is gonna start broadcasting Mexican league football over there as well as South American..which is a good thing for them..it will open their eyes to a diffrent style of football..i do agree with u about the Mexican federation politics tho..that will only hurth us in the long run...

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We've got the lad Borgetti at Bolton, IIRC but, other than that, I seem to remember that most Mexican players play in the Mexican league. Is that right?

Maybe people's knowledge, (or, rather, lack of), is due to this rather than any disrespect for Mexican football as such.

9. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Rafa Marquez... but I think that's it.

I don't think it is unfair to point the finger at Mexico... but with the group they have got... well, we'll see.

Since 1966 England have only gone out (when they have been there) to:
    1970 - West Germany 3-2 aet
    1982 - West Germany & Spain (strange format, england scored 6 & conceded 1 in the tournament, and did not lose a game...but went out in second round.
    1986 - Argentina - 2-1 (Hand of God)
    1990 - West Germany - 1-1 aet, lost on pens
    1998 - Argentina - 2-2 aet, lost on pens
    2002 - Brazil - 2-1

So the only teams they have lost to is 3 of the biggest going, and they only actually lost in 90 mins in '86 & '02.... its not great, but its not a bad record....and I think that "fight" along with the skill can go a long way... certainly the spanish are very jealous of how English players put their hearts and souls into it - or at least usually look like it.)

The Spanish... well they have got to get it right one time, haven't they? Always have good players, and yet never achieve anything... i think arrogance may have something to do with it. I remember last time, they were careful not to be too optimistic, until the first group match (spain 3, Slovenia 1), when you saw "Comacho's Diary" on the fornt page of Marca, and before the 2nd round match against Ireland (which they were VERY lucky to get through) all the talk was about the quarter-final. This time Aragones has said he is happy about the group, but worried about who they will meet in the semi-finals!

10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for Italy. In their group of Death, they don't have a chance! :cool:

11. soccerguy3119

soccerguy3119 New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    im not liking Mexico lately and who ever picked Brazil is an idiot

12. RIVER CAMPEON

RIVER CAMPEON New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    NYC+Abruzzo+Mendoza
    England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!england!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!england!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!england!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!england!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. El_PoToSiNo

El_PoToSiNo Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Ontario, California
    Club: