Which qualified team do you think gives your NT the BIGGEST matchup problems.

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by DerMongerer, Nov 22, 2005.

1. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Now you can answer this question based either on past tournaments or comparing your strengths/weaknesses to theirs. Either one or the other, or both.

As a Brazil supporter, from a tactical standpoint I'd say Argentina presents us with the biggest matchup problems. They have the players with quickness that can press Brazil's midfield (Mascherano, Lucho Gonzalez, Sorin) which I feel is the key to defeating Brazil, and can attack our "aging" fullbacks Cafu??(R.Carlos looked awful on Saturday vs. Messi) from the wings.

Historically for me it has to be France and the team I'm somewhat fearful of (I don't expect Brazil to come out as flat-footed at a WC vs. Arg. like the match in Buenos Aires).

I'd like to know when was the last time Brazil has actually beaten France in a matchup of any kind? 2004 friendly 0-0, 2001 Confederations Cup 2-1 loss, WC98 finals.....lets not go there :eek:, Le Tournoi de France 1997 1-1, WC1986 1-1 penalty shootout loss.

I think this team should not be written off, because despite not performing up to par at their last EURO/WC journeys, they're still a team that gives very little away in defence. Gallas (their best defender) Thuram (aging, but still formidable) Makalele one of the top 5 DM's on the planet. Henry has the kind of pace that causes any defence problems, and given that this may be his last major competition, he'll try to go out with a bang. Zidane is still around, although not the player he once was, France is still clearly better with him.

Should Brazil face France at WC06.....would Brazil be able to get this "monkey" off their back?

2. ThreeStars

ThreeStars Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For Germany, it´s Holland. Not because they are any better than the other top teams, but because of an endless rivalry stemming from our win in 1974. They say it was a "Schwalbe" by Hölzenbein, but of course, he was just so fast the cameras couldn´t register the foul. The same goes for Rudi Voeller in the final against Argentina in 1990. ;)
    Holland - Germany in 1990 remains one of my favourite matches of all time, from Rijkaards spitting and Rudi Voeller being sent off the field to Klinsmann running until he can hardly take a breath, to Littbarski drawing circles around the dutch defense and the amazing Kohler/Van Basten-duels...

3. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    For England, it is still Germany. Even though we beat them 5-1 back in 2001, they still pose a massive threat to us and to everybody else for that matter.