Which players from the Clausura are likely to play in Europe next season?

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by argentine soccer fan, Jun 3, 2009.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wanted to discuss which players who played in the Argentine Clausura this season are likely to be transferred to Europe after the season.

Also, who do you think is ready to go to Europe now, and who would be better off staying a bit longer. Sometimes some players leave too soon and their career suffers.

I have some ideas but I want to hear other opinions.

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I heard Jose Sand (Lanus) was close to sealing a deal with Pananthinaikos of Greece.

Fabian Vargas (Boca) may very well be on his way out since he's requesting a large sum of money to stay (his contract ends this month). Lucas Viatri (Boca) is extremely close to signing with Siena of Italy. Leandro Gracian (Boca) will be playing on loan for the next year in Aris of Greece.

Gonzalo Bergessio (San Lorenzo) might finally be migrating to Europe. San Lorenzo's President even admitted that it will be hard to keep him. Pablo Barrientos (on loan at San Lorenzo) will play in Catania of Italy next season.

Franco Zuculini (Racing) is wanted by Hoffenheim. Considering "la Academia"'s financial problems, the Germans are highly likely to take him if a reasonable offer is presented. Jose Schaffer (Racing) is being watched by Udinese and a few other European sides.

Leandro Caruso (Godoy Cruz) is going to play the 2009-2010 Serie A season for Udinese.

As far as River goes, Falcao is likely to leave. He's been sporting "la banda" for quite a while now, River need cash, and he doesn't seem to be resisting a transfer any more. Augusto Fernandez isn't owned at all by River (100% of his transfer belongs to third parties), and the owners of his rights want to see him in Europe next season.

Other players I wouldn't be surprised to see leave? Diego Valeri and Eduardo Salvio (Lanus), Oscar Ahumada (River), Sebastian Battaglia? (Boca).. there are a lot more, but I'm too lazy to list them. :D

ASF: Sorta off-topic, but do you know what the chances are of Figueroa staying in Boca? I'm assuming it all depends if Viatri leaves the Xeneizes or not, right?

1 person likes this.
  3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Riquelme likes Figueroa, but right now it's anybody's guess if he stays.

Zuculini is probably gone, but I think he should stay at least another season. Same with Shaffer. Look at players like Banega and Monzon, they are progressing fast, then they get transferred to Europe and their career suddenly gets stuck.

What about Buonanotte and Moralez? I think the little guys are both ready to do well in Europe.

Of course, veteran players like Sand, Vargas, Bergessio, Augusto, Falcao are ready. Others I'd like to see get more experience before leaving are Salvio and Valeri. Especially Salvio. Viatri I'm not sure if he's Europe material. I think he's a limited player but he is a penalty area opportunist who might do allright in the right system.

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, I was just asking that in the River thread.. will Buonanotte go to Europe? I think if he does well in the Toulon Tournament, he may attract some interest. Today he debuted in the tournament and scored a goal vs. Holland. Not that this is the most important Cup in the world, but I think if he continues doing well the interest in him will definitely grow.

Regarding Maxi Moralez, doesn't his loan with Velez last till the end of the year? Or was it just a 6-month deal?

But yeah, I agree: I think they are both ready to succeed in the Old Continent.

5. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Buonanote and Schaffer are heading to Benfica(the latter nearly done deal). Figueroa is likely to return to Genoa because his contract is too expensive.
    Assmann may be heading to Genoa too. Guillermo Rodríguez(the uruguayan of Independiente) is said will be going to Turkey(i don't remember the club).

Caruso is a done deal to Udinese.

6. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Heard today that Migliore has an offer from Italy, but he would "stay if Racing forms a competitive team". :p

Palacio and Morel might leave to Europe. Pastore has been tempted. Ferrari is suppossed to be a done deal. Andujar is heading to Atleti? Botinelli should go back to Samp. Fritzler is bound to Europe as well. Gracian is already an idol in Greece.

And Gerlo might be Florentino's 3rd signing. :D

7. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Carlos Luna is likely heading to Asteras Tripolis, Fontanello to Parma and according Luna himself Battaglia may be going to Italy.