Review: Which of these players was most 'over-rated'?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by pwilky, Oct 31, 2011.

1. pwilky

pwilky New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Obviously to be 'over-rated'. someone must rate you in the first place.

With that in mind, the following players were all pretty high quality, but which one was the most 'over-rated'?

http://www.squidoo.com/over-rated-footballers

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I enjoyed the read. Other than Figo, who was really world-class for a number of years, I have always viewed the others as overhyped, and a few of them as definitely overrated. No doubt Roberto Carlos takes the cake for me, he is very lucky to have played at a time when first-rate wingers were scarce - only Luis Figo and Marc Overmars come to mind during his prime (maybe Nedved, although wasn't really a winger). When at Barca, Figo would abuse him constantly in the Clasicos. And when Messi came along, he did likewise in their few encounters, but by then it was usually attributed to RC being past his prime. I say cowshit: Carlos would have been found out much earlier had he played during these times, against wingers such as Messi, C Ronaldo, Robben, Sanchez, Ribery, DiMaria, Silva, Nani and Navas.

3. pwilky

pwilky New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with you totally on Carlos. I would say he runs Beckham very close (which takes some doing!) as the most over-rated on the list.
    My gripe with Figo is that I saw him as a 'flat-track bully'. Looked great when Barca was dismantling someone like Levante or Ossasuna, but didn't seem to live up to his stellar reputation when Portugal needed him in the major tournements!

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    1- David Beckham

7- Eric Cantona

4- Roberto Carlos

8- Luis Figo

9- Paul Gascoigne

6- David Ginola

2- Zlatan Ibrahimovic

3- Michael Owen

5- Bryan Robson

5. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Obviously Roberto Carlos.

That's why RM who changed half their lineup each year kept him only around for one season .... oh.

Not only did the RM managment fail hard, so did five different Brazil managers granting him 125 caps which is good enough for 2nd most.

Plus it's a miracle that a player so bad as Roberto Carlos was crucial in winning the World Cup, two Copa America, three Champions League titles, has the best Ballon D'or voting by any sideback ever and made the ESM Team of the Year and Month 7/34 times which is most times by any player.

Grossy overrated. :p

6. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nedved wasn't a winger? OKAY. He also won a something called the Golden Ball and the less known Golden Foot.

7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nedved was a winger partially, more like an offensive midfielder. Anyhow, nobody's saying he's overrated :confused:

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is a harsh judgement.

Yes, he was overrated just as Cafu and Sorin.

But Figo and Overmars were really world class. That cannot be said about Sanchez, Di Maria, Nani and particularly Navas.

In the time of Figo and Overmars the wingers were almost extinguished. Therefore Carlos was quite useful because with the absence of a man to guard you don't need defensive skills.

You're right though that Figo (who was like Kenenisa Bekele against Usain Bolt) abused him several times. Even with a red card as a result.

9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think both Cafu and Sorin are rated as the players they were, the first a great right-back (but not the best in Brazilian history by any means), the second a very good left-back who played great for Argentina. RC is rated much higher than he really should. All of Sanchez, Nani, DiMaria and Navas are under 24, they still have time to develop into world-class players - I think Sanchez is there already in fact.

10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Sanchez disappointed thus far against great sides, for Udinese. He has the potential but hasn't showed it already for his country or club against big sides.

But you're neglecting my point: if teams are playing without wingers, which was the case at that time, then that gives space to a wing back.

11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Also note that the Serie A lacks great side-defenders at the moment. That gave Sanchez an easy time.

12. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Beckham, no doubt.

13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    If Carlos was "grossy overated", then Beckham would rather be a "grossy supermodel" than a footballer.

Again ... relativity .. (may be your weakness)

- Last bold:
    As a DF, or leftback specifically, Carlos was the best ever since last Maldini and was among TOP10 best LB all time, no doubt. Whereas Beckham would hardly make into TOP10 best winger, and TOP100 best all time

- First bold:
    So all of them (RM and Brazil coaches) were blinded and only you (and few other narrowly minded) were (ever) wide opened eyes??? doubtful very much!

- Now wonder twice he was close as #2 in WPOY and ballon D'or - despite of being a DF.
    * at Real: He won 4,5 ligas, and 3 UCL with Real Madrid - UEFA UCL best DF
    * at Brazil NT: 2 times WC all starting XI

- Up to now, NO LB has come close to Carlos - sadly ! (while many AM, winger or right FW could surpass Beckham in talents)

14. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    schwuppe was being sarcastic.

15. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    I have no words.

16. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Wasn't that hard right?

17. pwilky

pwilky New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So, who is the most over-rated?

18. Tom_Heywood

Tom_Heywood New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    No Francesco Totti? All the Serie A snobs raved about him, and he did nowt in an Italian shirt and was average in the Champions League. He was good in the same way Andy Cole was good in the Premier League, but never did it elsewhere.

19. RomaAustira

RomaAustira New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Totti obviously belongs in the most underrated player tread...

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    He was excellent in Euro 2000 and good in WC 2006. I don't remember Andy Cole carrying his team to any league championships either.

21. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who's Andy Cole? :rolleyes:

22. BearsOfWar

BearsOfWar New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Definitely Roberto Carlos, he knows how to shoot a free kick but that's about it. I don't think Ibrahimovic is that overrated. Robinho on the other hand is

23. BearsOfWar

BearsOfWar New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Definitely Roberto Carlos, he knows how to shoot a free kick but that's about it. I don't think Ibrahimovic is that overrated. Robinho on the other hand is

24. dony

dony New Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It depends, here in South America (the landmass of Di Stefano, Pele, Maradona and Garrincha), Roberto carlos is regarded as the greatest LB all -time, yes better than Maldini, because of his better technique and offensive vocation, also we judge a footballer by his performance at club and international level; honestly we do not care about European football, specially the British foot-by

25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No one regards Roberto Carlos as the best LB of all-time in South America, in fact, he's seen as a player who could shine in Europe but struggle in SA.