Which MLS teams are being subsidized? Which MLS teams are providing the subsidy?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by pc4th, Apr 7, 2010.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the KC study http://www.kansascity.com/multimedia/kansascity/archive/sports/KC_Soccer_Final_Report.pdf

we know that each team send MLS 30% of its gate receipt. MLS use that, in addition to national tv and national sponsorship to pay for player salaries and league operation.

Seattle ----------- 30,897
    Los Angeles ------- 20,416
    Toronto --------- 20,344
    Houston --------- 17,047
    Salt Lake-------- 16,375
    DC United--------- 16,088
    Chivas USA ------- 15,092
    Chicago--------- 14,689
    Columbus-------- 14,447
    San Jose-------- 14,114
    New England ------ 13,732
    New York -------- 12,491
    Dallas------ ----- 12,441
    Colorado --------- 12,331
    Kansas City ------ 10,053

MLS TOTAL ----- 16,037

Amount sent to MLS in 2009 to pay for player salaries and league operation:

Paid attendance x $25 average ticket price x 15 games x 30%. ******Assume that paid attendance is 15% less than announced attendance in 2009 except for Seattle, Toronto and Los Angeles. Also assume that the average ticket price for 2009 is $25 and the SAME for all teams*******

Seattle ----------- $3,475,912
    Los Angeles ------- 2,296,800
    Toronto --------- 2,288,700
    Houston --------- 1,630,119
    Salt Lake-------- 1,565,859
    DC United--------- 1,538,415
    Chivas USA ------- 1,443,172
    Chicago--------- 1,404,635
    Columbus-------- 1,381,494
    San Jose-------- 1,349,651
    New England ------ 1,313,122
    New York -------- 1,194,451
    Dallas------ ----- 1,189,670
    Colorado --------- 1,179,151
    Kansas City ------ $961,318

Total: $24,212,475

Average per team: = $1,614,165

Teams subsidizing other teams (2009):

Seattle -------- $1,861,700
    Los Angeles ------- 682,600
    Toronto ----------- 674,500
    Houston ---------- $16,000

Teams receiving a subsidy (2009):

Salt Lake---------- $48,300
    DC United--------- 75,700
    Chivas USA ------- 171,000
    Chicago----------- 209,500
    Columbus---------- 232,700
    San Jose---------- 264,500
    New England ------ 301,000
    New York --------- 419,700
    Dallas------------- 424,500
    Colorado --------- 435,000
    Kansas City ------- $652,800

Obviously, ticket prices are not the SAME for all teams, which further skewed the actual subsidy since the high ticket prices are in LA, Toronto and Seattle (I used a flat $25 for all teams because I am too lazy haha):

from triplet1:

For example, 2010 figure could look something like this:

Seattle: 36,000 paid tickets x 15 games x $30 ticket price x 30% = $4.86 mil
    Dallas: 7,000 paid tickets x 15 games x $22 ticket price x 30% = $0.693 mil

The above is the amount that Seattle and Dallas will send to MLS to pay for player salaries and league operation. MLS is all about parity on the field. What about parity in contribution for player salaries and league operation? If every team contribute equally, it would look like this instead:

Seattle ----------- $3,475,912-----now send $1.61 mil instead
    Los Angeles ------- 2,296,800
    Toronto --------- 2,288,700
    Houston --------- 1,630,119
    Salt Lake-------- 1,565,859-----now send $1.61 mil instead
    DC United--------- 1,538,415
    Chivas USA ------- 1,443,172
    Chicago--------- 1,404,635-----now send $1.61 mil instead
    Columbus-------- 1,381,494
    San Jose-------- 1,349,651
    New England ------ 1,313,122
    New York -------- 1,194,451-----now send $1.61 mil instead
    Dallas------ ----- 1,189,670
    Colorado --------- 1,179,151
    Kansas City ------ $961,318 -----now send $1.61 mil instead

Since this equality is not going to happen, how about a very modest reward for teams that subsidized other teams in the form of allocation money?

For example,
    Seattle: 36,000 paid tickets x 15 games x $30 ticket price x 30% = $4.86 mil
    Dallas: 7,000 paid tickets x 15 games x $22 ticket price x 30% = $0.693 mil

In the example above, Seattle gets a very modest reward of say $48,600 in allocation money (or 1% of what it sent MLS) to buy down the cap of its DP(s). Just a thought. If it's 2% of the $4.86 mil that Seattle send to MLS, Seattle could get $97,200 in allocation money to buy down the cap of its DP(s).

1 person likes this.
  2. SaltLakeKiddy

SaltLakeKiddy New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Liberty Park
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    tl;dr:another thread by pc4th about how financially lucrative Seattle is.
    also, anyone that enjoys the MLS that doesn't support Seattle should feel guilty, you owe it to them.

3. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. ;)

That touches on an important symptom of the single-entity model. It dilutes the tribal passion of loving your club and hating the enemy. Along with the revenue-sharing aspect, that may be a good thing (as extreme emotions could lead to nasty consequences), but it does make our fan experience very different than what is felt by fans of clubs who play in open leagues.

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    pc4th's threads are like a thesaurus for ways to differently phrase the same question.

5. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which MLS teams are being subsidized? Which MLS teams are providing the subsidy?

Teams subsidizing other teams (2009):

Seattle -------- $1,861,700
    Los Angeles ------- 682,600
    Toronto ----------- 674,500
    Houston ---------- $16,000

Teams receiving a subsidy (2009):

Salt Lake---------- $48,300
    DC United--------- 75,700
    Chivas USA ------- 171,000
    Chicago----------- 209,500
    Columbus---------- 232,700
    San Jose---------- 264,500
    New England ------ 301,000
    New York --------- 419,700
    Dallas------------- 424,500
    Colorado --------- 435,000
    Kansas City ------- $652,800

That's what this thread is about. And Seattle is just 1 of the 16 teams listed. The data also show that Seattle is financially lucrative (which every MLS owners are very thankful for since they get a cut) but that is not the point of this thread. The point is that some teams are subsidizing other teams to pay for player salaries and league operation.

I also made a comment how MLS is all about equality on the field yet it is all about inequality in contribution to pay for that equality on the field.

6. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i enjoy them

7. SaltLakeKiddy

SaltLakeKiddy New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Liberty Park
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Why do I feel like I'm being trolled?

18 different teams have paid franchise fees. Many teams have been giving the league their gate money for 15 seasons, everyone but Philly has paid more money to the league than Seattle(that might not be true, depending on their franchise fee).

To borrow a phrase, the point is, it is a single entity league. The other point is, after one year, Seattle hasn't subsidized anybody.

Someone kindly point me to the ignore functionality.

8. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Cujo1126

Cujo1126 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting point, but my question would be, where does all the money go?

For New England, taking into account club seats, average ticket price is $34. The reported attendences are very accurate, and they no longer give away seats like they used to.

New England --13,732 x 15 games x 25$ x 95% = $6,653,154

They don't pay any rent, then you have to add in concessions. If the average person pays around $10 dollars in concessions. That's an additional $2 million in revenue. Then if you add in sponsors, advertising. You get somewhere near $9-10 million in total revenue.

So 3 million goes to the league. That pays for player salaries and operating costs. But where does the rest go? How can the revs be losing money? $7 million in operating costs? That's impossible.

I know other teams have to pay rent, or other stadium costs, but still. Does anyone else feel like the owners might be slightly untruthful about how much money they loose?

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, he doesn't even phrase things differently. He just copies/pastes the same crap over and over.

And actually yeah, Seattle has helped subsidize some of the salaries in the league for this year. They did in fact play last year, sent in 30% of their gate, and then had it split amongst the league. As top contributors, yes they subsidized others.

11. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Assume this, assume that, have you thought that these franchises with lower crowds have owners who have subsidised the league for well over a decade, sinking in hundreds of milions so the likes of Seattle can jump on the bandwagon and rake in the cash?

If anything, these older franchises which built MLs are subsidising Seattle's profits. It's not like they were getting 30k+ crowds in USL.

12. SaltLakeKiddy

SaltLakeKiddy New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Liberty Park
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    No, they didn't. They may have thrown more money into the pot that is a single entity league;after one year of throwing money into the pot, they didn't subsidize anything.
    This.

13. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Here's the WHOLE of what I said.

I spoke very specifically. Your convenient lack of quoting the whole statement makes it look like I said something that I didn't.

14. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    A few things that the analysis misses.

Average ticket prices is from 2007 - I know that for RSL moving into a new stadium in 2009 meant a dramatic change to ticket prices (they went up significantly). Also, the average doesn't account for relative sell out rates at each price point (which also can effect the total revenue dramatically). For example, suites at RSL stadium are sold out and their per seat price contribution is significant (30 suites at $30K or more per year)... plus, add to that 1,000 club seats that sell at $2,000 each. You can generate $3,000,000 in revenue off less than 10% of the seats. In 2009, the club seats were 95% sold out for season tickets... at Rio tinto.

I'm sure there are similar impacts at stadiums that may have been built since 2007 (the time of the aricle) and the mix of seats DOES matter. I would average general seat prices and then calculate up PREMIUM (suites/club/vip seats) separately - particularly for those stadiums that have their own stadiums.

Another example, go to the HDC and see how many of the club seating / suites are sold out for the Galaxy and then conversely look at how many are sold out for Chivas USA... it's a big difference.

Club/suite seating is a large contributor to total revenue sold of tickets - much more so than their percentage of the total number and they tend to have much higher sell out rates than general tickets. Hence... regardless of sport professional teams focus a lot of attention on creating/selling those premium seats.

15. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Ok - Just to make it more obvious (using Rio Tinto as an example):

Suites - 32 (ranging from 14 to 35 seats per)... sold out - at least $1,000,000 total (if average price is $30k per unit) for about a total of 500 seats.

Lions Club - 96 seats at $7,500 each per season. $720,000 total.

Club Seats - 1,000 seats at list $2,000 each per season. $2,000,000 total.

------------

In 2009, suites, Lion's club, and club seating were +95% sold by category. The revenue potential for those 3 sections is at least $3,750,000 for seats. Meaning... that RSL could sell out PREMIUM seating (about 1,600 seats of the 20,000) and nearly make the "AVERAGE" dollar amount you designated as the team contribution requirement if 30% of those receipts go to MLS.

16. John Mercado

John Mercado Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think the MLS has just experimented with less parity with the DP rule being changed a little. I think they are cracking the door so to speak to see what change it effects with regard to league interest. Having some subsidy will always be a good idea but absolute parity where teams are all very close to equal regardless of success in the stands would be boring. At some point I think the fans would become conscious of paying for the other teams that face them.

Making it sound like this is about Seattle is a mistake as there are more teams out there paying into the league. Most fans in Seattle want the league to be successful and understand the nuances involved in doing that ..as I'm sure they are in LA as well. LA has subsidised the hole league(aside from the 30% cut) in the signing of David, which from what I read boosted tickets at away games. So rewarding Owners to some extent; and their teams fans for spending the money is good thing and boosts the entire league. A balance that needs to be made by MLS regarding how open a League this will become.:)

17. DancingKevin

DancingKevin Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pc4th when are you going on vacation to give all of us a break from your stupid threads? I swear half these threads on here are from you and they all say the same thing. We all could use two weeks of you not wasting our time with your threads!! Everytime I see a pc4th thread it feels like a prostate exam.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHKTE75dgE4&feature=related"]YouTube- Family Guy - Prostate Exam[/ame]

18. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /thread

19. DancingKevin

DancingKevin Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if you look at it than all the teams in MLS Subsidized Seattle last year because Seattle took players from every other teams roster in the expansion draft and took the money from 2008's gates for their team saleries in 2009. Everybody subsidizes everybody in this league. This is a stupid thread by pc4th is all I'm saying.:D

2 people repped this.
  20. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    I bet Revs are #1 demanding subsidies! Revs has no future in MLS.

I feel bad for Dallas, last year was the only teams in MLS worth watching ( win or lose ).

Reason why they should let high earning MLS teams should spend more on players, just them pay luxory tax ( not that high ), in the long run its helps weak markets like: Dallas, Colorado, New England and Kansas with TV money and people coming to watch other teams. It works in MLB with Yankees selling out in other cities. Yankees always sellout in Orange County and in Marlins games.

21. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? When RSL plays Colorado, I'm not standing in the stadium thinking "Well, win or lose, at least we're all part of the same company! We can all get along!" I'm thinking "******** these guys! Curb stomp Mastroeni!"

If your main thought process during a match involves revenue-sharing between teams in a single entity model, I think you're doing it wrong.

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    "tribal passion of loving your club and hating the enemy"

How the hell were able to type that and take it seriously?

23. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Seattle invented accounting.

24. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people think that sport lives and dies on "passion". I take seriously that this is a common belief, not that I necessarily subscribe to it. I think that passion can be misdirected and go too far, such as fan-on-fan violence, and it seems to me that MLS differs a lot from leagues in other countries in this respect. The passion seems to be more focused on the sport and league as a whole than exclusively on the clubs.

25. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but if you want to be technical about it, they covered that with the expansion fee they paid. :p

we do agree completely on your last sentence however.