Which is Better Summer or Winter Olympics?

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by ECUNCHATER, Feb 16, 2010.

?

Which is Better?

1. Summer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Winter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I like the summer games the most and enjoy the men's soccer tournament the most.

I do enjoy watching bobsledding though.

2. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I have a soft spot for the winter games, mainly because A) I am amazed by winter sports- I can't skate, ski, or for that matter spend 10 minutes in snowy conditions without falling ~ 3 times and getting sick. and B) unlike the marquis sports of the Summer Games (soccer, basketball, Tennis) the Winter Olympics hockey actually seems to be the highest quality/most entertaining entertaining competition in the sport.

3. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Why isn't there an option for those of us who enjoy both equally?

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Personally I prefer the winter olympics because they involve sports that I actually do myself and are also exciting to watch. Every sport in the winter games seems so different from the next.
    The summer games OTOH seem so bloated (over 11,000 athletes in Beijing). Something like 35-40 competitions for swimming alone. Enough with the swimming already. We get it. I'd rather watch people moving at 100 km/h than 5 km/h.

5. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    only watch basketball , hockey and some track in the olympics. for hockey and basketball those are their best nt competitions.

don't care about any of the other sports and don't want to watch them just because they put the olympic label on them .

which are those?

6. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    definitely winter.
    way too many track and field events in the summer.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Skiing mostly. But also some ice hockey. Used to play curling as I love the strategy involved in it. Only problem is you have to be good at it or else the strategy doesn't really come in to the play (and its an extremely difficult sport to get good at) .

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Summer, by far.

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I love them both, but if forced to choose...

-Speed skating is more exciting than watching a foot race or swimmers.
    -Having attended them both, I'll take a ticket to a hockey game over a basketball game in a second. Fast but low scoring -- and not a freak show.
    -Figure skating brings a beauty and artistry to the Winter Games that the Summer's gymnastics can't match.
    -The Summer Games has no comparable sport to Winter's skiing events.

Sounds like I'm blowing off the Summer Games, which isn't my intention. But those are four differences for me that give the Winter Games the nod.

10. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    My bad for not adding a "both" answer in the poll.

Anyway, I have tried to watch the winter games and the only thing I have been able to get a little bit interested in is ice hockey. I have never been a big fan of watching skiing or ping pong. I still like watching the sports that people care about year round every year the most when watching the Olympics. The good news is that the summer games is adding rugby 7's in the future. While it isn't union, it will still be better than watching figure skating and gymnastics.

The Olympic soccer tournament may not be the World Cup, but I still enjoy it. A lot of the U-23 teams feature players that have already played in the World Cup, or will play in the World Cup 2 years later. For example, in 2004 the USA failed to make it to the Olympics, but Beasley and Donovan did compete in Olympic qualifying 2 years after playing in their first World Cup and 2 years before playing in their second World Cup. It is a nice preview of the future.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't think either the winter or summer games has many sports like that. Figure skating, basketball and ice hockey are 3 that come to mind. But that's about it I think (unless you count sports where the best players aren't used).

12. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I know soccer doesn't use the nations best 11 on the men's side, but that is what was referring to. I would rather watch soccer, basketball, and ice hockey over ping pong and ice skating.

13. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but that's not possible. look more carefully.

here's what you do:

a) make a list of all the Olympic sports from each season.
    b) give each sport a grade, how much you enjoy watching that sport. if you don't watch that sport, don't grade it, but keep tally of the total number of sports in each season.
    c) total the points.
    d) divide the total by the number of sports.

the higher "average" is the Olympic season you prefer.

glad to have been able to help...:)

14. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude. get into curling! better than table tennis.

whoa!

15. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it just me or does anyone else see "eunuch hater"?

16. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    ECU-UNC-Hater

I have been following Wolfpack sports since I moved to Raleigh and graduated from NC State.

17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I assume you missed my other post. It's #9 on this thread.

18. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Summer. Nothing else compares to this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qslbf8L9nl0"]YouTube- Usain Bolt 100m 9.69 ( LIVE VIDEO ) Beijing Olympic Gold & WR[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaGsBo_Ia0c"]YouTube- Usain Bolt Olympic Record (19.30sec) at Beijing Olympics 200m Final (High Quality Video)[/ame]

19. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Meh. Even just today, the Men's Cross Country Pursuit finish was more exciting than Bolt's wins.

20. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's a bunch of crap. Was it dominating? Was there hype (Bolt vs. Gay vs. Powell)? Was there tension? Was history on the line?

21. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I don't see what domination or hype has to do with how exciting the event was. Personally the tactics, nuance, fluctuating strengths and nailbiting finish involved in a race like today's beats a bunch of roided-up guys who spend 99% of their time posturing any day.

22. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You think athletes in Vancouver are clean?

Dominance and hype make an event more memorable...more significant. It's all about the biggest stage and the bright lights. Whoever won today's race faded into obscurity hours later while Bolts performances will remain for decades.

BTW, sprints have their own tactics, nuances, fluctuating strengths, and uncertainties of finish (usually ;))

23. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    :rolleyes: Tell that to the Swedes who just won their first gold in Cross Country ever.

I watched Bolt win and I watched the CC today - it's the latter that I will remember as the more exciting event. The 100m is overrated.

24. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nobody knows and nobody cares... outside of Sweden ;)

The 100m is the most pure and universal athletic competition.

25. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    You're kind of missing the point. As a sporting spectacle the finish to the cross country was far more engrossing than Bolt becoming the latest Ben Johnson.

Of course, if all you care about is hype and world records then the Beijing final was great.