Which is a better season format for the CCL?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jun 5, 2013.

?

Better format for CCL?

1. Group stages in Fall season, Knockout stages in Spring season

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Group stages in Spring season, Knockout stages in Fall season

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Would you want Group stages in the Spring and Knockout stages in the Fall? Any opinions/thoughts.

2. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised they don't just do the tournament in one session...why separate the tournament into two parts of the year? I feel like 6 months and teams definitely can change quite a bit in that span (this is just a curious question, I don't know all that much about how these competitions work so there's probably a logistical reason I'm sure)

3. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I agree. I think they should follow the Copa Libertadores format. It only lasts 6 months (this year, it started from February through July).

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS clubs could not play midweek games in the Champions League and U.S. Open Cup the same week.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoffs.

at least 9 Concacaf Teams have playoffs in the November-December time frame and at least 8 have playoffs in the May-June time frame.

So Concacaf avoids scheduling matches in those windows.

C. Libertadorees sometimes has a similar issue when they take a break between Quarterfinals and Semifinals (1 to 1.5 months) due to World Cups or Confederations.

Like this year, the last Quarter final match was June 30th and the Semifinals will start back up on July 2nd.

ChrisE repped this.
  6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    They could still mirror the CAF and AFC formats, while still pausing for playoffs.

Have the group stage in March and April on the same matchdays as the current KO stage. KO rounds from August to October, the same days as the current group stage.

Split season leagues can send their Spring and Fall champs from the previous year, like in the CCC. CFU qualifying held in the fall.

They could have done this starting in 2009, but I think they were looking to mirror the UEFA CL first and foremost.

Sebsasour repped this.
  7. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The way it is now. Its the football season!! If MLS wants to do it unlike everybody else thats their problem. Or wanna do it like Libertadores.........take a month off between the quarters and semifinal stage? lol how stupid is that!

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well UEFA takes almost a month off from the Semifinals to the Final "How Stupid is that?" :rolleyes:

At the end the "Break" between Group and Elimination round would be about the same, 4 months for winter or 5 months for summer.

I think the schedule is fine and it fits the mayority of Concacaf leagues (Ignoring most CFU leagues that I do not know their schedule).

The playoffs is what makes the break so long (and the winter in North America).

But there is no way in hell Concacaf leagues will get rid of playoffs (maybe global warming will get rid of winter :p ), they make way too much money while the CCL mostly loses money.

At the end money talks and bullshit walks as they say.

9. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Almost but not quite huh? :rolleyes:

All that would still be under the same football season as to what Libertadores is doing where they start the Semis in the next season where the coaches could be different and the players could very well be different! And yes that is stupid!! Damn dawg, I really got to spell everything out for you:rolleyes::rolleyes: :p

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not for Brazil, their season is March to December.

The problem with Libertadores is that they try to do too much in a short time span (one semester) that forces them to run into the June/July where they run into National tournaments., but that belongs on the Conmebol forums.

Plus most Concacaf leagues (not sure about CFU leagues) have split seasons where many teams change players in the January windows (Even with out split seasons this happens in other confederations, just usually not as much in the winter window) so there is no "football season" in Concacaf.

As a matter of fact Concacaf has a rule that players can not participate with 2 different teams in the same CCL year (same as in Europe and other federations I assume) for when players get transfered in the winter window (or July/August I guess if they already played a game).

At the end, Concacaf wanted a longer season to look more like the UEFA tournament, the July to May format is the most logical for most of the Concacaf Federations, the complication for Concacaf is the long break for not only the Winter break, but the playoff breaks.

Also this is what you said, nothing about transfers on your original post.

11. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    for this, CONCACAF need a expansion at 32 teams :)

They can keep the season spring - fall, but need to use entire UEFA system, to have some chances in Clubs World Cupo :

1. Allow TH to play automaticaly for next edition of CCL (an extra berth for country). Even if the TH are not qualified from the league, they will be automaticaly and wil play some continental matches in new edition, before to play in Clubs World Cup in December
    2. 4 matches in groups stage in 4 - 5 months (in spring) is too low ... CCL must expand at 6 (4 teams in group), how UEFA do, with 6th match in gropup in early December.
    3. With 32 teams, will be added a new round after groups .... Round of 16, which will be the first round in Knock-out stage, in fall of the new year
    4. Use UEFA clubs coefficients system, to have matches between MLS and LMX in groups stage (if a team like Queretano or Philladelphia qualify for CCL, begin with a lower coefficient)
    5. Allow countries to gain or lose berths in CCL, this will be better for the competition and the teams will be more competitive
    6. Let the countries/teams which want to play in CCL, to play !!
    7. MLS is just another league which give teams in CCL !! MLS is as Jamaica, Trinidad or Haiti league, is just a LEAGUE !!
    8. The rules must be done by CONCACAF for CONCACAF members, for Champions League !! As any other, MLS must respect these in equal part with Haiti, Trinidad, Cuba, Barbados or any little island from Carraibe.

Preparation for Clubs World Cup from December :

If TH is automaticaly qualified for groups stage (8 groups of 4 teams), then, they have enough time to prepare for CWC :
    in 2015/16 we have 3 matches in August, 2 in September and 1 in October. What is this shit? Who made this rules in CONCACAF? Where is his head? and from these 6 rounds, a team play only 4 matches, because in 2 have a break :) funny

For the new format with 32 teams we can have :
    * I separed a monthn in 3 (begin 1 - 10 days, middle 11 - 20 , end 21 - 30)
    Groups Stage :
    matchday 1 : the end of August
    matchday 2 : the middle of September
    matchday 3 : the begin of Octomber
    matchday 4 : the middle of Octomber (MD 3 and 4 be played in 7 days, because are home-away legs)
    matchday 5 : the begin of November
    matchday 6 : the end of November (29 - 30) - (1 - 3 December)
    the TH will be prepared for World Cup in December 12 - 15

12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few effects that I believe have yet to be addressed here or elsewhere (with the calendar change plus going back to 4-team groups):

On the plus side, the quality of matches in the group stage would go back up, what with more games between US and Mexican teams and between Costa Rican and Honduran sides (those Saprissa-Marathón showdowns back in 2008 and 2010 were all kinds of exciting). Let's face it: of the 48 group stage matches in the current format, only a third (16) would be considered at the same level as their equivalent in the old format, with the rest featuring teams that would've been eliminated in the prelims (not always, of course: 2011-12 was the only CCL in which the top seeds won every preliminary series).

However, I don't know how you sell going back to the old format to Belize, Nicaragua and the Caribbean, when at present all they have to do is qualify for the CCL and they're getting to play in the US or Mexico. Perhaps they could pressure CONCACAF to be a bit more fluid with the seeding for the prelims (e.g. bumping the CFU Club Championship winner to Pot 1 for the prelims at El Salvador 1's expense, if results justify such a move).

Finally, the calendar shift would mean that Mexico could no longer send its reigning champ (i.e. Apertura winner) to the Copa Libertadores, what with CCL duty immediately on the horizon.

13. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Thank you very much, Scotiabank! :D

14. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Aren´t you Croatian? :p

15. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yeah, but my CL (UEFA's) became too boring and dull in last 5-6 years so I have my focus on CONCACAF and AFC Champions Leagues primarily. :laugh:

Format change in CONCACAF make me happy. :ROFLMAO:

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  16. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Thats a good thing!