Which club has the best fans in Europe and why?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by toonboy, May 25, 2006.

1. toonboy

toonboy Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Newcastle
    Who have the best fans in Europe, in loyalty, in noise, in passion, who do you think truely deserves the title, baring in mind teams like Celtic, Milan and Madrid win trophies every year so it must be easy supporting them?

[​IMG]

2. djbiangelo

djbiangelo New Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Where are the Liverpool fans? Have you forgotten how they supported their team exactrly an year ago? When they were three nill down and at half time they kept singing "You'll Never Walk Alone"!

3. Kukilon

Kukilon Member

Nov 22, 2005
    OMG you forgot about the Liverpool fans! The first singing ones in the world!

You will never walk alone!

4. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Ajax in the 90's as far as I'm concerned. No matter how much people hate Ajax and Ajax fans... everyone who's had us around often enough will admit that Ajax rocked inside and outside and were amazingly nonchalant yet full of temperament. Definitely different from 95% of fangroups out there.

But there's great fans everywhere.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Probably all in jail.

6. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Marseille draw 50,000 screaming fans week in, week out despite being shit these days. I vote for them.

7. Mephistor

Mephistor Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Essen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    FC Schalke 04!!!

Why?

Some facts:

- over 120 dezibel loudness in home arena (I think a jet reach only 114 dezibel)

- 70.000 (!!!) fans in 2.Bundesliga in late 80's early 90's - playing against Blau-Weiß 90 Berlin not to get in third division. In every other game at this season we had an attendance over 30.000 people

- 25.000 fans in san siro 1997 playing for uefa-cup against Inter Mailand (at this time the uefa needed two games for decision)

- over 60.000 fans in every bundesliga and national cup game at home since 2001

- in UI-Cup over 50.000 fans in every game at home

- 600.000 people coming to gelsenkirchen to welcome the national cup winners from 01 also in 02 (national championship, uefa-cup, champions-leauge win are more important)

- Pope Johannes Paul II. was Schalke member

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Newcastle. Can't think of any other club getting that kind of attendance despite being mediocre throughout the recent past.

Liverpool? Nah! As noble as it is to exchange your food stamps and welfare cheques for match tickets, Liverpool were just European champs and play in a big city. So naturally they're gonna be supported well. Nothing special with them.

9. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juventus.

10. Mephistor

Mephistor Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Essen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Now they need the best fans but they don't have...;)

11. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    The fans away from St James are top class. At home, its quiet as hell.

I nominate PSG fans. For having to put up with PSG.

12. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hope you caught my sarcasm :D

13. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    A catchment area other clubs can only dream of, and a title challenge ten years ago. In the second division their crowds were a small fraction of what they get now.

Yeah, Liverpool fans might be the best, if qualities of great fans include glory-hunting, arrogance, gloating, ambulance chasing and general drunken loutishness. Anfield is a cess-pit of humanity. Most of their 'fans' in Istanbul weren't even from Liverpool.

14. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Now honestly, how can the best PSG be the best if they spend half the time killing eachother:D

15. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    Newcastle, got great support week in, week out.

16. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I disqualified myself from picking a British team. Otherwise I would have said Newcastle, their fans are so passionate and friendly even though their team is consistantly below par.

I said Dortmond because everytime I have ever watched them the fans have been amazing.

17. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I'm going to say Fenerbahce. They are always crazy.

18. toonboy

toonboy Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Newcastle
    No I didn't. They're in my opinion the worst fans in the world. So quiet normally and such scum. Like when Alan Smith broke his leg, when he was in the ambulance being taken away Liverpool supporters rocked it for 10 minute. The same game they threw shit at Man Utd fans (actual shit). They murdered 39 fans at Heysel, and till 2005 they couldn't fill their little Anfield ground. in 2004 they had 6 sell outs out of 24 games. They're joke fans, and 99% of the time not even from Meyseyside.

Pmsl

Schalke's average gates in the 80's
    1987/88 23,071
    1986/87 22,884
    1985/86 19,003
    1984/85 28,372

I'm not saying these gates are shit, just more you're exaggerating.

25,000 to the San Siro for a major European Final :D it's only about 500 miles from Gelsenkirchen. We took 17,000 against Inter for a run of the mill CL group game.

Why does the fact the Pope was a member make you good fans?

[​IMG]

So do we 52,000 every week, it never changes look at our crowd every single week and youwill see 52,000, and it would be 80,000 if we had room, and we haven't won the European Cup in the last 15 years or 5 domestic titles in our recent history like them.

Now while I appreciate most Lancastrians are inbred, even I have to laugh at this :D We're in 2006 now, we're still shit, and we still have the 2nd best average gate in England. We've still won ******** all domestically since 1955, and we're one of only 3 clubs who could regularly get over 60,000. Try and take this fact in, Newcastle have won nothing in England since 1955, and get 52,000 every week, watching shit.

As for our catchment area, utter pish. Tyne and Wear population is 1.1m and we have to share that with Sunderland, who if they were succesful would be one of the very best supported clubs in England, they averaged 33,000 last season and had 15 points. If Bolton had 15 points your average gates would be back down to the 1985-1987 levels (4,951, 4,847 and 4,851) and that's a fact.

We've had 3 bad average gates in our entire history, and two of those seasons were boycotts to get rid of the board of directors, which we won.

- 1897/98 Newcastle were the first club in the world outside of the top flight to average over 10,000 for league games - 11,545.

- Newcastle are the first and ONLY club in the world to average over 50,000 for top flight and 2nd grade football (56,283 Division Two 1947/8 and 53,839 in Division One 1948/49).

- 1906/07 Newcastle were the first club in the world to average over 30,000 for league games - 33,235.

- 1946/47 Newcastle were the first club in the world to attract over 1 million for league games.

- 1947/48 Newcastle were the first club in the world to average over 50,000 for league games - Newcastle 56,283 a world record which stood for 19 years.

For those of you who have been to Newcastle, you will know, it's unique in that it's probably the only city in the world, where the entire population support the same club. The only ones in the city that don't are students at university.

Anyway it's 2006 now, we've not won a domestic trophy for FIFTY ONE YEARS, it's quite hurtful saying it, 2 generations have missed any success at all, and we're still here, there's not a club on the planet could say anything remotely as impressive as that. The thing is while there's only 2 English clubs spent more than The Toon in the last 12 years, you wonder how big NUFC would actually be if we did start to win things, because we haven't got any glory hunters, you'd have to be a ********ing stupid gloryhunter to support us, because we never ********in win anything!

19. Mephistor

Mephistor Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Essen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where did you get this numbers from?

Our game was sold out and it was very difficult to get tickets for this game. I don't know if your game was sold out? If not it was quit easier to get tickets. But 17.000 also amazing...

It shows that he knew which club has the best fans ;). Take it with humour

20. Mephistor

Mephistor Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Essen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There was sarcasm? Really? ;):D

21. Buschkauz

Buschkauz New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    im Pfälzer Wald
    borussia dortmund, an average attendence of 75.000 fans

22. Mephistor

Mephistor Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Essen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    After this Schalke played 2.Bundesliga...
    After this Schalke got the high attendance against Blau-Weiß 90 Berlin...
    After this Schalke got the high average attendance in 2.Bundesliga...

The 80's weren't good years for german football if you take only the attendances at this time.

In Germany you say "Auf Schalke braucht man nur das Flutlicht anmachen dann kommen schon 30.000 Leute". I think this says all...

23. toonboy

toonboy Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Newcastle
    If Dortmund fans paid proper prices they wouldn't get more than 40,000 in my opinion. The fact it's so cheap to watch them has contributed to their economic problems. You can go and see Dortmund for as little as £6, it's 5 or 6 times that for the cheapest seat at Newcastle and most Premiership clubs, and besides they won the CL in the last 10 years, and several Budesliga's.