Which AFC Teams Do You Think Will Qualify- Brazil 2014

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Terry Gyimah, May 22, 2010.

1. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Veering off topic isnt acceptable folks! Regardless of who started what, all will be punished for partaking.
    Keep it civil, and stay on topic.

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I agree Moderator. I have been a member here since 1999 even before it was called bigsoccer. Such behavior in the past would not have been tolerated. Stick to football.

3. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I would say Iran is possibly category 2.5 in that list. Still not quite at Australia's level (or at least not proven) but they are that bit better than Iraq (although like most Aussies I would rather plat Iran than Iraq because of history and style of play). I would also have UAE in the list due to how well they have played in youth comps - those players are now coming of age and "could" develop into a decent team. Jordan and Syria both deserve credit for thier AFC cup form as well.

4. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I meant to include them as a possible surprise for the same reason and forgot.

You may be right, but I still rate them below what I have included. They could be possible surprises. I guess we will find out over the next two years.

5. haithamittihad123

haithamittihad123 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Saudi arabia made 4 conescutive world cup appearances and nearly made a 5th, how are they not considered to be one of the powerhouses? Forget the Asian cup crap. And watch the AFC qualifying match between saudi arabia and bahrain, last minute equaliser.

6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They are one of the all time power houses of AFC but right now they need to improve as they are not what they used to be. Still, the qualifying process takes a couple of years so they have time to get their act together. If they play like they did in the Asian Cup they will be lucky to make the final round.

7. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    My changes would be that Iran should be placed with Australia in category 2. Also you have grossly underestimated Bahrain, they're def a category 3 and are imo a little better than Iraq. I can't see where your evidence is to place Bahrain on the level with Kuwait/Oman/Qatar.

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I had a gut feel that Bahrain missed their chance last time and are on the slide. Of course, I could be wrong. After all, I rated North Korea much lower than that before the last round of qualifyers and they made it through.

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I think your right with Bahrain, they were a surprise nation that held there own for 2006 and 2010 world cup qualifiers, but since then they are starting to go on a downwards path.

They have an ageing team and i feel that when Hickersberger took charge of them, that he saw this and that he saw he couldn't take them any further than they already have gone.

They need to get that sparkle back, but I feel Asia has now taken notice of them and the bigger nations in Asia will now know how to counter them. I personally think they will go backwards and another nation like Jordan (assuming Adnan Hamad stays in charge for the whole campaign), then they could be a suprise.

One nation that I would add to your earlier list is China, I think they would be grouped with Uzbekistan and North Korea. I'm also not sure of Iraq, i would move them back a category. We know they can do it, but apart from the AC 2007 shock, they haven't done it, so I see them as an outside chance more than a reasonable chance.

10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They were pretty unlucky in 2010 qualifying, drawing a very strong preliminary group and also being dudded when Qatar played an ineligible player and escaped penalty. Maybe they play a lot better against us than ither teams (that does happen sometimes) but I can't remember us defeating them comfortably in any game since we entered AFC. We have always had to rely on a bit of luck or brilliance to get over the top of them, and they've also had their share of success against us.

11. mthomas501

mthomas501 New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    el salvador (concacaf) is goin to play siria march 25,and kuwait the 29 any info about this teems?

12. mthomas501

mthomas501 New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    el salvador (concacaf) is goin to play siria march 25,and kuwait the 29 any info about this teams?

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Lots of info in the Syria and Kuwait threads.

14. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pretty much mine as well. Japan had a great World Cup and Asian Cup but South Korea, I think, will be more solid in 3 years. And I think North Korea had their "hayday" with the 2010 WC. I don't see them qualifying for the WC in 2014..while I think SA probably will.

15. Ghana_Black_Star

Ghana_Black_Star Red Card

Apr 20, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    1) South Korea (Korea Republic), I can see them definitely qualifying for Brazil 2014, probably the favorites to qualify from Asia

2) Japan as well are also favorites to qualify from Asia, have been on a qualifying streak since 1998 qualifying for every single World Cup since 1998, and always come to World Cups with good teams, and 2014 I see that being no different

3) Australia, the Socceroos I see them having a better FIFA World Cup this time around in 2014, especially since their team will be getting younger and their youth team was pretty impressive back in the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup, and those players will be coming of age in 2014, so that is why I see Australia qualifying

4) Iran, after missing out on 2010, I am sure that will be the thing that drives them to qualify for 2014, and even though they have an old team, they have their youth coming in and their players are pretty impressive

5) If necessary, if there should be a playoff spot, for the fifth place team, I see it being Iraq

16. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think the 4th and possibly 5th spot are between Iran, Saudi Arabia and China. South Korea, Japan and Australia are practically guaranteed. The competition will be between the three teams (Iran, Saudi Arabia, China) for 1-2 spots.

17. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    KSA?
    Did you watch the Asian Cup? Cuz I did and they lost to Jordan, Syria and Japan (5-0).
    Their club teams aren't having much success compared to a few years ago. They are going downhill. I don't see why they should be given better odds than countries like Iraq! I also don't understand why you think we (Iran) are at the same level as them at this point!
    We were the only team to get the max points in the group stages in the AC and we also beat Russia not too long ago.

KSA has always been a pain in the backside for Iran but that lousy showing at the Asian Cup made me lose all respect for them.

18. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I only saw Iran's matches in the Asian Cup. I think the WC qualification campaign will be a different animal. KSA has always been a pain in the arse for Iran as you said. Hopefully their showing at the Asian Cup continues into the future. But I think part of our problem is our complex with Saudi Arabia. We should have beaten Saudi Arabia at Azadi in March 2009 but we didn't and that caused us not to qualify. Iraq also has a chance. My ranking was based on FIFA rankings. The five teams I listed are the best ranked in Asia according to FIFA. Now, FIFAs rankings are sometimes crap but neverthless. Yes, we did beat Russia in a friendly. And I'm scared of a Bahrain 2001.

19. Ghana_Black_Star

Apr 20, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Iraq actually have a chance too to qualify for 2014, and they actually have a pretty good team, they actually did okay in the 2009 Confederations Cup, and in the Asian Cup they came in as defending champions but did not win it all again but still looked good even though they got eliminated

20. Ryfa redded

Ryfa redded Red Card

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Saudi Arabia had a horrible Asian Cup in 2004 but strongly bounced back at 2006 WCQ, beating Korea Republic home and away.
    Imo they are just inconsisitent and unpredictable.

21. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    yeah but in 2004 and 2005 saudi clubs became champions of Asia. They weren't going down hill on all fronts. This time around they did bad in the AC and the champions league. Their most known and followed club (Al Hilal) is on course to lose 5 in a row against Iranian opposition. Back then we couldn't really compete with Saudi clubs but now we get better results in KSA then we get at UAE!

In 2004 they also managed to get a point and the two games that they lost were against Iraq and Uzbekistan. This time around they had 3 loses, two of them happened to be against 95+ ranked opposition (Jordan is 100 something).

They failed to go to the WC even though they beat Iran at home, they did EXTREMELY BAD in the Asian Cup and their clubs are uncharacteristically very beatable. I would say that the situations are different.

22. Ghana_Black_Star

Apr 20, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    But I really wanna see Iran now qualify out of Asia for some reason, because I have always liked Iran and the way they play, and after narrowly missing out on 2010, Iran will be now more stronger as a team and after the Asian Cup, have proven to me at least that they can qualify for 2014

23. Ghana_Black_Star

Apr 20, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Korea Republic, Japan, and the Socceroos are guaranteed almost, how about New Zealand, they can always move to Asia too similar to what the Aussies did?

24. aguy2die4

aguy2die4 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Seoul/London
    2009 confed cup?

to be honest i cant remember all the games but i did watch nearly every game and Iraq disappointed me a bit. Perhaps it was because I wanted them to really well, to really rep the AFC, that i was all the more disappointed.

On the other hand thought Egypt was really good in their first game against Brazil (Egypt 3-4 Brazil), and the 2nd against Italy (Egypt 1-0 Italy) then in their last game against USA (Egypt 0-3 USA) they fcked up big time.

25. Hermes

Hermes Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Kobe
    Club:
    Vissel Kobe
    If 4

1. Japan

2. Australia

3. S korea

4. Iran