Which AFC country do you think will do well at the WC?[R]

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Midorit, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    From the looks of it, both Japan and S.Korea are in a very good position to make it to the round of 16 and hopefully beyond. But a very talented Australia looks horrible as a team thanks to Pim Verbeek. I never understood why the Aussies with all the options and resources available to them, hired this inexperienced lousy coach to begin with.

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    If we go back to playing normally we've got a good chance of picking up a few points. The second round is still not entirely out of the question - we expected to lose against Germany, and a win and a draw could still see us through.

If we beat Ghana, draw with Serbia and Germany win their last two games (all feasible) then we'd be through without having to rely on our lousy goal difference.

3. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmmm.... my prediction seems to be right. At least so far.

Go Asia. :)

4. indiafootballfan

Feb 26, 2010
    all over usa
    Club:
    Pune FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    after seeing round 1 will say korea,japan,nkorea(my fav):)

5. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    All Asian sides have a decent shot at advancing (Yes even Australia and North Korea).

Call me crazy but I seriously think North Korea can beat both CIV and Portugal unless their inexperience causes them to make small blunders that cost them the game.

Australia can beat both Ghana and Serbia, not the easiest task but not impossible either.

All South Korea has to do is draw Nigeria and they're through (Rather easy)

Another win or a draw by Japan and they're most likely through (Not impossible)

North Korea are my favorite AFC side so far. They play with more confidence and harmony than any other team.

6. hbl33

hbl33 Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Australia has Pim Verbeek, who has screwed up SK back in 06'. He's no close resemble to Hiddink, and will too likely screw up the Socceroos. Australian athletes, are however, one of the most underrated in Australasia, whether it is soccer or any other sport. They might do much better in next WC, but this is the wrong time at wrong place.

Japan's Okada must be having too much drink to date. He is one of the worst coach for Japan so far, Japan deserves much better leaders than this odd man who is destined to be a farmer at end of his part-time labour. Check his managerial stats in J-League. Not spectacular at all, right? Japan's Raymond Domenech, only new and a tad bit crazier.

Apart from that, North Korea is truly a force to be reckoned with. I can't say too much, but what you said about them couldn't be truer than I initially believed.

7. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    I hate Japan's and North Korea's play style. Therefore, South Korea is my favorite :D

8. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why do you hate North Korea's style of play??? Just curious. They were very brave and countered quite well. Quite entertaining, if you ask me.

9. larc-en

larc-en Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Okada's J-league managerial career was excellent

10. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    10 men behind the ball isn't my idea of entertainment.:(

11. hbl33

hbl33 Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That really didn't translate to his less-than-optimistic intl. friendly matches in the past under his reins. Plus the foreign coaches in JPN has done better job leading the team in WC qualifications and group stages in 02' and 06'. And at this state of despair, Okada thinks that he can lead Japan to final four? I do respect his ambitions, but that is far from reality.

And I doubt that Okada is one of the best J-league coaches in Japan.

Aside from that, I do must admit that putting Domenech alongside Okada is way too off. French is worse off right now than Japan. Zidane laments. Anelka gets spanked and is sent home. Evra goes whinefest against the French national fitness coach. And now Domenech faces resistance from his own squad players. This is just too obscene!

12. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    after the '98 world cup, he led Consadole Sapporo in J2 back up to the promised land of J1. Then went to Yokohama F. Marinos and got 2 consecutive J.League titles. Then worked for JFA for a while as a technical something or rather, then tossed into the managers seat once osim almost died.

He's got a good record. Plus he did an amazing job in the face of almost certain elimination to get to teh world cup of 1998. I didn't like him either but when I watched Japan 3-0 Qatar in November 2008, that was when I thought he had a plan on him so I thought it was worth being patient and giving some support. Kinda like Maradona's managerial turnaround for Argentina was their win over Germany earlier this year.

I don't get what's with this Semis talk or other teams quarters talk or whatever. A team should either aim for R16 or aim for the entire thing. Cause there's a very small difference between those in the R16 and the final 4. Its just who does it on the day.

13. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Marinos was talented team in J-League, with them, Okada made rather defensive and boring team , relying on indivisuals for offensie plays, and won J-League. But after then he tried to made more attractive and offensive team , and faild and destroyed team, then left Marinos. He was only good at defensive tactics.
    In Japan NT, he firstly want offensive and attractive team to surprise the World, but he faild miserably during preparation and just befre WC he changed tactics to very defensive one, and got very important win for Japan. Still, I also don't think Okada is one of the best J-league coaches in Japan. This Japan NT has Nakazawa and Tulio, so his defensive tactics did well so far, but after both retired form NT, Japan will have trouble finding players to replace them, especially Okada did not give playing time to young defenders in international games.

14. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Congrats! 2 out of 4 - great result. Extremely pleased you ousted another European egotripping side! So far only 4 European sides have progressed! At best there will be 6! I'm hoping for miracles and just 4!

Hope Korea and Japan make the quarters!

15. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow @ me. :) Good prediction. :p

Well done AFC and congrats in particular to Japan and South Korea....

About time FIFA gives us a spot from the under performing African federation.

16. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hope NK beat Cote d'Voire before they flight back to Pyongyang. That will make a perfect day for the Asian football.

17. stat redded

stat redded Red Card

Jan 30, 2006
    So far AFC teams have won 10 games on neutral ground at the WC.

Australia 3-1 Japan (2006)
    Australia 2-1 Serbia (2010)

Iran 2-1 USA (1998)

Japan 1-0 Cameroon (2010)
    Japan 3-1 Denmark (2010)

North Korea 1-0 Italy (1966)

Saudi Arabia 1-0 Belgium (1994)
    Saudi Arabia 2-1 Morocco (1994)

South Korea 2-1 Togo (2006)
    South Korea 2-0 Greece (2010)

18. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I just want to make it clear that I think Japan and South Korea will do well at the world cup.

19. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Are you sure all North Korean players will be going back to Pyongyang??

I hear some players are currently struggling to get there shin pads on for the next game due to the electronic tags placed around there ankles.

20. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    lol.

21. cloche

cloche New Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    Qingdao Jonoon
    I hope not. I got quite a bit of money on Ivory Coast. I know Drogba is salivating for some goals. If I was the NK team I wouldn't want to go back to NK. They should just stay in South Africa for the rest of their lives.

22. jogger

jogger Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Australia and Japan were in the same group in the 2006,having 2 teams of the same confed (except UEFA) is not possible. Because the socceroos qualified through OFC and were counted as such in the last WC. Although I think they were right to join the AFC, I wonder if they wouldn't have done better if they were in group F instead of NZ. That group seems weaker than the group if which they failed this year.

23. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Group F wasn't reserved for the OFC!

An open draw, anything can happen.

24. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Yes, OFC was in the same pot as AFC so theoretically it didn't make any difference to the draw.

25. RybbRasta

RybbRasta Red Card

Jun 23, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    About time? In 2006 no Asia team make it out, 3 were bottom of group. Why not say you should lose slot in 2006?

I think system good, as it give all continents chance (some do not perform one year, other perform another year). I think maybe give each continent half slot and make group of 6 team and minitournament for 3 slot.