Which 2010 World Cup first-round teams aren't qualifying in 2014?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Dr. Gamera, Jun 21, 2011.

?

Which 2010 World Cup first-round teams aren't qualifying in 2014?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2011.
  1. Algeria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Australia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cameroon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Côte d'Ivoire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Denmark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. France

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Greece

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Honduras

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Italy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. New Zealand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Nigeria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. North Korea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Serbia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Slovenia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. South Africa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Switzerland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    As World Cup qualifying has just begun, these polls are just in time.

Since the World Cup went to 32 teams, there have always been 12 or 13 teams that participated in the World Cup, but didn't participate in the next World Cup. (I refer of course to the final World Cup tournament, not World Cup qualifying.) See this post for the details. We know that at least one team from the 2010 World Cup isn't participating in 2014, because six CAF teams participated in 2010, but only five CAF teams will qualify in 2014.

Sometimes a lot of these teams had departed in the first round of the World Cup, and sometimes only a few. The teams that had departed in the first round and didn't make it back to the next World Cup are as follows.

1930 (5): Bolivia, Chile, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru

1934 (3): Argentina, Egypt, USA

1938 (7): Belgium, Dutch East Indies, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania

1950 (4): Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay, USA

1954 (4): Belgium, Italy, South Korea, Turkey

1958 (3): Austria, Paraguay, Scotland

1962 (1): Colombia

1966 (4): Chile, France, Spain, Switzerland

1970 (6): Belgium, Czechoslovakia, El Salvador, Israel, Morocco, Romania

1974 (6): Australia, Bulgaria, Chile, Congo DR, Haiti, Uruguay

1978 (4): Iran, Mexico, Sweden, Tunisia

1982 (9): Cameroon, Chile, Czechoslovakia, El Salvador, Honduras, Kuwait, New Zealand, Peru, Yugoslavia

1986 (6): Algeria, Canada, Hungary, Iraq, Northern Ireland, Portugal

1990 (4): Austria, Egypt, Scotland, United Arab Emirates

1994 (3): Bolivia, Greece, Russia

1998 (7): Austria, Bulgaria, Colombia, Iran, Jamaica, Morocco, Scotland

2002 (7): Cameroon, China, Nigeria, Russia, Slovenia, South Africa, Uruguay

2006 (10): Angola, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Iran, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia

2010: ?

Which 2010 World Cup first-round teams won't make it back in 2014?

2. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Here are my thoughts on those who left in the first round of 2010:

Algeria -- easy pick to fail to qualify for 2014, as they're currently
    last in Group D in 2012 ACN qualifying.

Australia -- no reason to expect them to lose their perch as one of
    the top three teams in AFC.

Cameroon -- on the one hand, they've qualified for six of the last
    eight World Cups, which is as consistent as it gets in CAF. On the
    other hand, CAF qualifying is a crapshoot, and early indications of
    their quality aren't great: they're in third place in Group E in 2012
    ACN qualifying, with 5 points from 4 games (and 2 points from 3
    non-Mauritius games.)

Côte d'Ivoire -- the class of CAF, with the best chance of any CAF
    team to qualify again.

Denmark -- so much depends on the draw, including perhaps the 2014
    UEFA qualifying draw for playoffs between second-place teams, but I
    think it slightly more likely that they'll qualify.

France -- probably still the Pot 2 team that no one wants to draw,
    except perhaps Belarus.

Greece -- giving them the nod after they squeaked into Pot 1.

Honduras -- with a lot of second-tier CONCACAF teams on the rise, and
    with Pavón's future in doubt after his herniated disc, it's certainly
    possible that the next wave of Honduras players will bring them back
    -- they could even defeat Mexico today -- but there are too many ways
    in which that might not happen. They are better than they seemed at
    the World Cup, though, after losing so many key players to injury in

Italy -- no signs that the 2010 World Cup implosion was anything but
    an aberration.

New Zealand -- have earned the right to be taken seriously; I'd favor
    them in a playoff against AFC and probably CONCACAF, but probably not
    CONMEBOL. So call it a 2/3 chance that they'll make it back.

Nigeria -- tough decision. Qualified for four of the last five World
    Cups. Losing in Guinea is no shame, but drawing in Ethiopia? Just
    because of the CAF qualifying structure, I'm picking narrowly against
    them.

North Korea -- couldn't even make the final eight in the 2011 AFC Asian Cup.

Serbia -- tough to figure out a team that can defeat Germany at the
    World Cup but earns a draw and a loss in home-and-away matches against
    Pot 5 team Estonia. May not have the consistency to qualify from UEFA.

Slovenia -- not making a name for themselves by earning a draw and a
    loss in home-and-away matches against Pot 4 team Northern Ireland.

South Africa -- actually a team on the rise, but had fallen so low that
    I can't yet count on them. Might feel differently after ACN 2012.

Switzerland -- their UEFA 2012 qualifying Group G performances haven't
    really been that bad, but Pot 3, ouch.

3. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    How about all of them except Australia! Ok...just kidding....kind of.

France and Italy are normally almost certain qualifiers, but France could have a tricky path if they get drawn with one of the big six (Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, England, and the Netherlands). And with teams as strong as Turkey, Ireland, the Czechs, and Ukraine lurking in pot 3, nobody will have an easy time of it in UEFA.

As for the other UEFA teams (Denmark, Greece, Serbia, Slovenia, and Switzerland), their chances are realtively slim given the past track record of "second tier" UEFA teams. From 2006, only two of seven teams qualified for 2010 (Serbia and Switzerland), and from 2002, only two of nine (Sweden and Croatia) qualified for 2006. And given that no "second tier" UEFA team has quaified for three in a row except Croatia (98-02-06), you've got to think the odds are against Serbia and Switzerland. In fact, Greece probably has the best shot by virtue of being seeded in Pot 1, as long as they avoid France from Pot 2.

The Ivory Coast, Nigeria, and South Africa probably have the best shots of the African sides since they will be in Pot 1, as long as they avoid Senegal and Cameroon in the group stage draw. Conversely, Cameroon and Algeria will both be in Pot 2 (they are currently 7th and 9th in the FIFA rankings among African teams) and will therefore have a very tough qualifying path with only the group winners going to Brazil.

Honduras has a decent shot, although aside from Costa Rica (02-06), no team from CONCACAF has qualified for two consecutive World Cups. New Zealand's chances will depend on whom they get drawn against in the playoffs, and North Korea's qualification for 2010 has to have been considered a fluke.

So if I had to put my money where my mouth is, the only team I'd back at this point in time (i.e. before the draw) would be the Aussies, simply because they will face the fewest risks.

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Your 3rd thread which is based around complete guess-work !!!
    are you going to dig these threads up in 2014?

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy & France

6. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Algeria, Greece, Honduras, New Zealand, Nigeria, DPRK, Slovenia, Serbia, South Africa

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Italy will qualify. They are typically impeccable results wise in Qualifying.

8. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    News from the file marked "Duh!"

In a surprise to almost no one, North Korea was just eliminated from 2014 World Cup qualifying.

9. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Re: News from the file marked "Duh!"

CAF could adopt the CONMEBOL qualifying format. True CAF has a lot more members, but what if they do 2 rounds of grp qualifications (as will be the case for WCQ 2014) and then at the final round (when they have 10 group winners, do a league involving all 10 teams as in South America? (seems like the best way to go only financial difficulties/Africa with no infrastructure lol, might be a problem...

Any way, to answer the question North Korea is out: Cote D'Ivoire & Ghana might not have an easy ride. Contrary to what some think, Cote D'Ivoire is a constellation of names, never has been a team. They have to face Morocco for 1 spot. They historically have a very poor record against North Africans.

10. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    An updated analysis...

To start with, the odds of one of the big-name African teams not making it became a lot higher with the change in qualifying format, since with the last round now being an unseeded knockout round, two of the big name teams could easily get drawn against each other.

Also since my first post on this thread, the groups have been drawn for UEFA qualifying, with some interesting results.

France - drawn in the same group as Spain, which means their qualifying path has become more difficult.

Denmark - drawn in the same group as Italy and the Czech Republic, so their path is now more difficult.

Greece - thanks to sneaking into Pot 1 for the draw and avoiding France from Pot 2, they have an excellent chance of making it again, as the toughest teams in their group are Slovakia and Bosnia.

Italy - avoided France, but still in a fairly challenging group with the Czech Republic and Denmark, both of which could knock them into the playoffs if they do not play their best.

Serbia - got drawn into what probably is the most interesting group in UEFA qualifying, with Croatia, Belgium, and Scotland, all four of whom could conceivably win the group, or not even make the playoffs.

Slovenia & Switzerland - both drawn in the weakest UEFA group, with Norway as their only other competition, so both have an excellent chance of winning their group and qualifying directly.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Forgetting about financial difficulties, a group stage with 4 teams per group and a group stage with 10 teams would require a team to play 24 games to qualify. That's too many.

12. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009

Oh shot! Nice catch Evan. dumb me didnt take into consideration how many games that will involve. Seems in all honesty CAF has little or no option but to use the group pairings they've been using for decades now.

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

If anything I would bring down the number of group phase teams to 25 or 30 and have 5 groups with 5 teams (or even 6 if necessary). That would mean 8 or 10 matches per group (winner takes it all) and a preliminary round to eliminate 20+ teams. I'm sure CAF could think of accomodating 8 or 10 matchdays.

The worst thing possible is the current format, where the final phase has the best teams in Africa play a two-way tie potentially eliminating regional powerhouses just because of a poor draw.

14. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

That was the format up until this year which was just ditched...

I would argue that although having knockout rounds at the end will produce more unpredicitbility, it's not necessarily worse than the previous format. it just has the head-to-head matchups between top teams at the end, instead of during the group stages.

Given that Africa has more than five "good" teams, there's no way to construct a qualifying format that doesn't have them playing against each other at some point. However, by having ten groups instead of five, the talent is spread thinner across groups, thus giving minnows a better chance to advance, which I think is what CAF wants. Instead of having two top teams in each group, there is only one, and in many cases that one team isn't markedly better than the second best team in the group.

For example, you are going to get a minnow coming out of Group E (Burkino Faso/Gabon/Niger) and in Group H, Mali has a good shot at knocking off Algeria.

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

Not entirely. Normally CAF had 3-4 team groups, which were just too small. Surprisingly the biggest shocks actually came in 2006, when the final round had 6 team qualifier group :)

Yes. But it also can cause i.e. match-ups like Ghana vs Cote d'Ivoire and Burkina Faso vs South Africa. Which means inferior teams can make it to the world cup just because of a lucky draw, while powerhouses are eliminated just because they are put up against each other. Previous formats would at least avoid putting i.e. Ghana and Cote d'Ivoire in one group thanks to seeding.

16. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    The BigSoccer import has eaten the poll results, but I found them in a cache.
    16.....80.00%.....Algeria
    1.....5.00%.....Australia
    5.....25.00%.....Cameroon
    0.....0.00%.....Côte d'Ivoire
    7.....35.00%.....Denmark
    0.....0.00%.....France
    9.....45.00%.....Greece
    12.....60.00%.....Honduras
    0.....0.00%.....Italy
    8.....40.00%.....New Zealand
    3.....15.00%.....Nigeria
    17.....85.00%.....North Korea
    6.....30.00%.....Serbia
    14.....70.00%.....Slovenia
    14.....70.00%.....South Africa
    9.....45.00%.....Switzerland
    (There were 20 voters.)

17. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Time for a post-mortem.

The teams that departed in the first round of the 2010 World Cup and then didn't qualify for the 2014 World Cup are Denmark, New Zealand, North Korea, Serbia, Slovenia, and South Africa.

My personal predictions were for Algeria, Cameroon, Honduras, Nigeria, North Korea, Serbia, Slovenia, South Africa, and Switzerland to fail to qualify. Of those nine teams, 0nly four failed to qualify, and I missed Denmark and New Zealand, so my predictions were pretty far off.

The wisdom of crowds was much better, predicting Algeria, Honduras, North Korea, Slovenia, and South Africa; of those five teams, all but Honduras failed to qualify. Denmark and New Zealand were two of the other four closest teams to 50% in the poll (the third and fourth being Greece and Switzerland.)

18. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Algeria qualified. They beat Burkina Faso.

Dr. Gamera repped this.
  19. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Right, sorry! Serbia was also one of the five closest teams to 50% in the poll.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hee hee.. was just joking when I originally said this, but the latter came very close to not actually qualifying..