Where's The Teacher?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by IntheNet, Apr 29, 2005.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official: 3rd-grader stuck 19 schoolmates with needle
    Friday, April 29, 2005 Posted: 11:31 AM EDT (1531 GMT)
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/04/29/needle.stick.ap/index.html
    PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A third-grader stuck 19 schoolmates with her mother's diabetes blood-testing needle this week, and one pricked student tested positive for HIV on a preliminary test, officials said...The 8-year-old stuck her Taylor Elementary schoolmates Wednesday at the school's breakfast, at lunch and in the classroom, using a needle that was about one-third of an inch long, on the end of a device that looks like a pen, school officials said. They were unsure why the girl did it."

~

Not a mention in entire article about whether or not teacher even tried to prevent such horror in the classroom.. the idea of a 3rd grader having a needle and sticking classmates screams out that something surely could have been done by the teacher before 19 children were pricked!

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I partially agree, but the item used looked similar to a pen and it would appear was done over the course of a day. If she stuck 19 other people, then I'm guessing the class was a decent size and a teacher can't watch every kid every minute of the day.

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh.

A kid that I had last semester got his nose busted up a couple of days ago in another class b/c some kids were throwing books at him. Apparently, one caught him clean and gave him a nice gash. Of course, the teacher this kid is in is an idiot and I doubt very seriously was paying attention to anything that was going on in the room. The kids that threw the book, I think, were given 10 days OSS and may have charges brought up against them.

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What in the world are you talking about? It becomes more and more obvious that you not only have no idea how education works, but you don't know how schools work either.

How in the world can you talk about "the teacher?" THE TEACHER?! THE teacher?! Is there one single teacher that has breakfast, lunch, and all of the classes with this student?

And what makes you think that it wasn't 18 students at breakfast and lunch and then a single student in the classroom? Maybe it was the teacher who saw what the child was doing and put a stop to it! Obviously someone found out what was happening. Did it occur to you that it might have been the TEACHER?!

Why are you always so quick to disparage teachers?

Watching you post around here for a while now makes me think you had serious issues with teachers and your mother.

5. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    The lack of classroom authority resulting from our overly litigious society and an overall lack of support from principals and school boards have resulted in many quality teachers leaving the profession. Hence, there are too many teachers (if it is 1, it is too many) that have no business being in a classroom. The bad ones are there only because a good one left. We NEED a broad-based reform to correct these issues so we quit losing the good ones and can afford to get rid of the bad ones. Right now we can't.

That having been said, there are still far more good teachers than bad. It is not the fault of those good teachers that the overall results are not what we would all like. However, painting with such a broad brush that it appears every teacher is bad only serves to reduce the impact of legitimate criticism.

You won't find anyone around here more passionate about the need for educational reform at all levels, including weeding out bad teachers, than me. But, like the little boy who kept crying wolf, we need to make sure that our cries are focused and appropriate, otherwise it winds up being lost in the wind.

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iceblink... read the story... "A third-grader stuck 19 schoolmates with her mother's diabetes blood-testing needle this week"... you think -- just possibly -- that a teacher might have observed at least something wrong?

7. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Read my post, idiot. Should third graders have more adults around to supervise activities? Absolutely. Should they always be teachers? I don't think so. I don't want anything to do with my students when they're eating breakfast and lunch. I want to have contact in the classroom, thank you very much. This happened throughout the course of an entire morning. My son is two years old, and he tries to be sneaky. He knows when he's doing something wrong.

This girl was sneaking around poking kids. I guess her mother is an idiot for leaving her medical materials around. I guess someone raised her improperly enough to make her think something like that was even remotely appropriate. But you always want to blame the teachers.

I'm sorry Nethead, but your Uncle George's system is going to make things like this happen more and more often, and people like YOU are responsible. Teachers in overcrowded classrooms can NOT do their jobs adequately. I have classes with 30 students. If you think I know what every single one of them is doing every second of the day, you are a bigger idiot than I ever thought possible... and I think your capacity for idiocy is ENORMOUS.

Overcrowded schools are the result of teacher cuts. Ratios are enormous now.

And, once again, perhaps it was A TEACHER that did catch the girl and put a stop to her activities. In any case, I noticed you changed from, "the teacher" to "a teacher" in your latest drivel. At least you're acknowledging that more than a single person is present at a school.

Anyway, who the hell are you to blame ANYONE with that little article as a basis? I have learned that you rarely look beyond the surface of an issue, but come on.

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Iceblink again.

9. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Covered.

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume that you'll defend teachers all their incompetence including this one; let me post a few of the many national stories of teachers having sex with students, for which I have no doubt you'll defend as extra-curricular teacher studies!

This girl was poking kids with a needle; where's the teacher? And if you defend the student's actions, I'll ask again: Where's the teacher? Let's hope she or he was fired for gross incompetence!

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Since you missed it the first time around:

This is the second time he tried to explain it to you. Any other "where's the teacher" crap from you that doesn't acknowledge other people's contribution will just prove that you're trolling in this forum. Shut up, or contribute something of use to educators or students.

12. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you do for a living? I am sure we can find tons of evidence where people in your job field screw up left and right.

13. Paddy31

Paddy31 Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Pukekohe, NZ
    I'm a teacher. A good one. I can say without any doubt that I don't notice half of what goes on in my class.

This is because I am trying to my job, teaching.

I find it helpful when my students have the basic social skills. This is something a few parents find difficult to fully appreciate, until their child is the one coming home with gum in their hair, or a bloody nose, or whatever.

You were in a classroom once too. You know how easy it is to misbehave if you choose. A child chose to behave badly. I believe it is the childs fault. Blaming the teacher is aiming at the wrong target.

14. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said before that I can't undo 10-11 years of poor education for my students in a single year. Similarly, I can't undo your seemingly endless years of ignorance, short-sightedness, and narrow-mindedness in a couple of posts.

Going back to the other arguments we've had, you are living proof of the over-value of the standardized test. You have claimed, in the past, to have achieved very high scores on these tests. However, your reading comprehension skills are always frightfully bad. It seems that you need to work on the following: finding the main idea, recognizing rhetoric and propaganda, eliminating logical fallacies (mostly present in your writing).

I would like to suggest you take the time to go get a free screening from your local Sylvan Learning Center. They can test you and see what lessons can be tailored to fit your many needs.

Somehow, from what I wrote, you managed to assume that I would defend teachers no matter what they do and defend a student who harms other students.

First of all, as far as your completely-off-subject blather about teachers having sex with students. First of all, go ahead and post your articles IN ANOTHER SUBJECT... one that is actually ABOUT that. I am curious to see your collection. Of course, I wonder why in the world you are collecting them. My guess is that we should all be happy (or be praying) that you are not in a position that brings you into contact with young children. If you are a molested altarboy, please seek counseling. If you are having impure thoughts about your mother (or repressing something that actually did occur), please seek counseling. In fact, just seek counseling. You need help.

Second, defending the child's actions. Nowhere. Never. Quote me. Show me where you believe I EVER said anything at all to condone this child's actions.

I consistently resent your constant vitriol toward teachers. In this case, and so many others, you are willing to condemn without knowing even a few of the facts. We don't even know if a single child approached a teacher and said, "This girl has poked me with something. Please ask her to stop." We don't eve know if a child said, "Ow. Teacher!" at all.

15. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok... did some research. Found some interesting stuff.

1. This school has 750 elementary school students in it!
    2. There are FIVE third grade teachers, according to the web site. I calculated the student:teacher ratio based on 750 / the number of regular ed. students. Comes to about 24:1. I don't know if the special ed students are included in the 750 total, but there are several special ed teachers.
    3. The teacher of this girl's class was a long-term sub. That could mean anything, but in a school this crowded... I'd guess underfunding or high teacher turnover.
    4. The school is divided into what are called "Smaller Learning Communities." This is educational jargon that means OVERCROWDED! They divide the school into sections and pretend that it's a bunch of smaller schools under a single roof with a single principal.
    5. Speaking of principals, the principal listed on the main page is not the same name as the one listed in the principal's message when you click on the name. This probably means high turnover in administrative staff.
    6. The schools motto is, "Think for myself... Learn for myself... Care for others." This means the little girl needs to learn the motto.
    7. 24 students in a high school class is big. 24 students in a middle school class is HUGE. 24 students in an elementary school class, where so much development is taking place and students benefit from lower ratios is unforgivable. This just means that the students will not learn what they need to learn and the middle school and high school teachers will take the blame for the fact taht they don't meet standards.
    8. Much of this points to a lower-income school. The school bears the same name as a local black baptist minister. With this in mind, as well as the hispanic/latino names of the parents, it is likely that there are many minority students at this school. This means that ITN should go ahead and stop caring........... now.
    9. Last edit to add... the former principal listed in the principal's welcome page had been at another school for two years as of 2004. That means that the current principal hasn't bothered to update the welcome message for over three years. This makes me believe that principal is not strong administratively and is definitely the one to blame!

WHERE WAS THE PRINCIPAL?!

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is 'the' teacher responsible for going to each child's home and raising them, as well? You've yet to say one single word about the parents.

17. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps that has something to do with fact that action took place in classroom while student was 'supposedly' under control of teacher!

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading is Fundamental, you mouth-breather you--the 'action' took place in several different places over the course of the day, as has been pointed out to you several times already.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that if this child was being raised by responsible, loving, on-the-ball parents, the little darling wouldn't be running around the school stabbing people. It's the parent's job to raise the kids--teachers can't be held accountable for a child's lack of social control.

That's way more of an answer than your knee-jerk trolling deserves, but just for the record, I thought that it's interesting that Mr. Conservative thinks the State, rather than the family, is responsible for raising children properly.

19. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THANK YOU bigredfutbol...I just wish you would have posted your reply above in the other post on student testing and NCLB since it applies equally there... you see... your post clearly demonstrated the prevalent mindset in American education: Blame The Parents! Even when responsibilities are completely held by teachers, as they were in this case, the prevalent mindset is to blame the parents as you display! In this case; i.e., controlling students while on school grounds, to the testing case, controlling student education, the current mindset, as you clearly detail, is to blame parents!

The question being: what responsibility will teachers or schools accept? Any at all?

20. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    ITN,

as the husband of a teacher, and having now 10 years of coaching at the HS level, and, having recently formed a little group of concerned parents/citizens that is talking to teachers regularly, I can absolutely assure you that schools/teachers would LOVE to accept more responsibility. However, in order to do so, they also MUST have some authority without the ACLU and 10 other "minority rights" groups breathing down their necks everytime they try to turn around.

YES. We do have some teachers in classrooms that should not be there. But, the #1 reason those teachers are still around is because so many good ones left as soon as they realized they had no ability/authority over often near-impossible kids.

So, I would ask you to step back, take a breath and look at WHY we have teachers in classrooms that aren't doing the job. The fact is, there is no one to replace them. If you want to go on a rag, go after the Trial Lawyers Guild and the sops they represent. THEY are the ones that have FORCED school districts and teachers to back off to the point they feel helpless everytime they step on campus.

It isn't the money as the teacher's union would have you believe, that is keeping the quality of teaching down. The truth is, until the working conditions in schools improve, we will see MORE poor teachers rather than less. :(

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe you think stabbing 19 other children with a syringe is the normal behavior of a well-adjusted child.