Where will Detroit play? Venue-quest

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by ButlerBob, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: USL 1 or 2 team in Detroit?

Does Detroit actually have any potential owners/investors to bring a USL1 club there?

2. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that we know of. Last we heard Dan Duggan (Michigan Bucks owner) was searching for European help.

3. FamousGreenArmy108

FamousGreenArmy108 New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    C-Town
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

That would be awesome if they were in USL-1 because then we could have a rivalry, kind of like the Cavs and the Pistons. But now, its kind of Boston for us.

4. opal347

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Believe me, you've already been made a target. Looking forward to a USOC rematch this year. :D

5. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI

Agreed, the Cleveland clubs on all levels are rivals of the Bucks! And I'll give you the Pistons/Cavs has become kinda pathetic....but the Pistons have gone downhill. But you got Tigers/Indians, Browns and Lions always play to see who is the worst team in the NFL!

And come on, did you think a team from Michigan wouldn't be your rival. It's just natural.

6. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Detroit would be the natural rival in USL1 that we need.

Plus, it would just continue Ohio's domination over Michigan ;)

7. opal347

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Domination? Forgetting Thursday night already? And real classy throwing beer cans and bottles by the Jackets fans. The call was right. Get over it.

The way the Pistons are playing, I'll take an even split this month, but I would HARDLY call it domination.

8. k3sparks

k3sparks New Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ok so what happened with this? I remember Mr. Duggan saying something about 6 7 months ago about... within 90 days we are going to have a major announcement about a USL team in the area. Anyone hear anything new after that article in Crains? Anyways hope its at least within 20 30 minutes of downtown...

9. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI

Duggan came out about 60 days ago and did an interview on MLStalk.com and said that he was very close to finishing up a deal to bring USL-1 here next year or at the latest by the 2011 season. He expressed that he will absolutely keep the PDL Bucks regardless of what professional team comes to town, which is a smart move as they can use it as an academy.

He has the plans and owns the land to build a stadium right behind the current Bucks home, Ultimate Soccer Arenas. It would be a 5k outdoor stadium and since he owns everything all he has to do is give the thumbs up to start construction so even if they start play next year and the stadium isn't QUITE done they can either play on the road for a few while they finish it or play a few games indoors at Ultimate Soccer, but I doubt that would be the way he wants to start a USL-1 team.

Now in that interview he also said that he wants to bring MLS to Detroit ultimately and thinks that 5 years after a USL-1 team is here that we can move up to MLS...he sounded very confident. Also he said he would have a major announcment in 60 days, meaning we should hear something very soon we HOPE. Remember this interview was prior to GM declaring bancrupcy...which may have scared some investors so it may take a bit longer to finish the deal.

10. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

God I hope Detroit gets into USL1

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's hoping we get soon get Detroit for a Cleveland rival, and San Antonio for an Austin rival.:)

12. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would be amazing. Two good rivalries for USL1. If only the Mutts would move up so we could continue our domination over them...

13. Misanthrope

Misanthrope New Member

May 13, 2007
    Anniston, Al

Now if we could only get Atlanta - Charleston going again before Charlotte realizes that in a year or so they won't have to fly to the far NW anymore and takes our old spot.

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like Michigan Bucks are headed for USL-1.

15. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It'll probably be in 2011, but it is official...we have an expansion team! So many things to do before then, like ID a team name (will we keep the Bucks name or link with an investor?), keep the current team colors or new colors/kits, build a new stadium next to the USA...fun, exciting times!

16. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI

I think Duggan has said that if a USL-1 team came to Detroit they would build a 5-6k stadium outdoors next to/behind USA where the Bucks currently play. So my guess is the team comes in 2011 and we have a nice brand new stadium to play PROFESSIONAL SOCCER IN!!! WAHOO!!

17. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I do remember that...question is whether those plans are already in motion because he would have just over a year to start and complete it. How many does the USA fit? My thought is that the new team plays in the USA for year 1 or part of year 1 while the new outdoor stadium is finished...or they play at a high school somewhere, like Country Day or Groves if they want to play on field turf, or Cranbrook or Avondale if they want grass.

18. opal347

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

USA only holds 2K, about what Krenzler Field held in Cleveland when they were in USL-2. Going that route, if the USL forced the City Stars to move to a bigger place when they moved up, they won't be giving Duggan an exception.

As for other places, the first thing that came to my mind is going back to Hurley Field in Berkley. The place holds about 7K. Problem is, it's in a neighborhood. Not the best image you want to send, not to mention the traffic you'd be sending into residential streets 15+ times next year (if they play, of course).

I'm not too familiar with OC HS stadiums, so I couldn't tell you where they would look. The only ones I know are the ones the Bucks played in previously for a considerable amount of time: Stoney Creek and Lake Orion. Stoney Creek only holds 4K, so that might not be enough for the USL. Lake Orion probably holds the same. Both are, all things considered, in BFE, if you know what I mean. I think I'll take your ideas on places to look and run with it.

19. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I forgot about the minimum capacity...Country Day won't work (it only seats 2K, and only on one side of the stadium). Groves could work, and there's another stadium I'm overlooking that would be able to seat enough.

Also, in Ann Arbor, I know that Huron and Pioneer's stadiums hold about 5K (that may be with standing room), and maybe that would be an alternative for the first year. Not sure how many the stadium at the new Skyline High holds. Huron and Pioneer, before Skyline opened, were the two largest high schools in Michigan...they would have the capacity to handle soccer crowds on Saturdays, with the exception of Michigan Saturdays.

20. opal347

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok, I've gone through and looked to see which high schools could potentially host a team. One site I overlooked is Troy Athens, home of the HS state finals. Other places that could hold a USL-1 crowd include Dakota in Macomb Twp. and Farmington Hills Harrison. Ann Arbor? Do you want to kill the team before it even gets off the ground?

Here's the one I found that could actually be a realistic possibility. If Duggan wants people to get used to driving to Pontiac, he could set up shop at Wisner Stadium. It holds 6600, and is the home for Pontiac High School (formerly Pontiac Northern; Central just closed). One problem: it's Pontiac, and not even close to the Pontiac we know by USA, which is close enough to Auburn Hills to not know the difference. Will fans go?

21. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Totally forgot about Harrison. Ann Arbor wouldn't be the logical choice, but it's an option nonetheless.

Wisner Stadium could be an option as well...Northern's not in too rough of a neighborhood, although I can understand that people wouldn't want to go there to watch a soccer game.

22. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wayne states adams field or UMD titan field

23. opal347

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

UDM's Titan Field is way too small to be even remotely considered. Adams Field? You know, not a bad idea. Capacity is 6000, and it's in a central location. Well done.

24. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Adams Field might be a tight fit in terms of field dimension, plus we don't have field lights so no evening games. Yes, WSU's stadium isn't nearly well equipped as most suburban high schools. Stadium seats 5K or maybe more so that might be adequate for the interim.

25. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey everyone,

I made a petition to have the moderators establish a subforum for Detroit's new USL-1 expansion team in the USL forum. At least 10 posters need to respond to say they will contribute regularly to a subforum for it to be considered. Check it out here and please reply to it to keep the thread going! We have more than enough people to handle our own subforum, but now we have to show them!

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19225413#post19225413