Where the Fv!k is Robbie Rogers?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by JuiceBox, Sep 26, 2013.

1. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought Lalas was out of line too. Not sure how you can blame a player for a hamstring injury and a bad stomach infection.

2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the criteria, did Lalas pick Steve Zakuani as his flop of 2012?

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that's what he was doing. I didn't hear anything critical of Rogers. What Lalas said was Rogers' failure to produce anything was a big disappointment. I'm not sure how you can argue with that. However, he did give Dempsey a pass, and I bet Seattle fans are as disappointed in Clint's performance as we are with Rogers. I think we all had high hopes that Rogers would be the answer to our long search for a speedy winger. So far, I (at least, and I bet others) are disappointed that it hasn't worked out.

Berks repped this.
  4. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's trade Rogers for Dempsey. We could really emphasize the potential "goodwill" upside to Seattle.

5. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, even the blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn. ;)

6. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year he didn't rate a MLS flop of the year. Last year he did the Premier League. He said last years EPL flop of the year was Fabrice Muamba.

7. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    At this point it does not look like Rogers is a factor in the LA strategy at all anymore. I'd be surprised if he makes the 18 in either of the last 2 regular season games. Let him play a couple more reserve games, train in the off-season, and maybe next Spring he can make his case to play with the first team.

8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So essentially we could have kept Magee all season while Robbie "trained" with us and then pulled the same deal in the offseason to send Magee "home". I guess the only downside would be is that we would have had to live without the massive goodwill and non stop sellouts that the Robbie Rogers signing brought us.

Dawdler, Topper, 73Bruin and 3 others repped this.
  9. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As best I can see, the only good thing about the trade as it worked out is that Zardes has been given a developmental year and will go into next season way ahead of where he would have been had Magee been here holding down that spot. Otherwise, you are 100% spot on.

forie and GalaxyOne repped this.
  10. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    As a practical matter, with as many games as Landon and Robbie K have missed, Magee could have primarily been used in a forward spot to fill in for international dates and injuries, and Zardes could have still gotten most if not all of this development at the outside mid.

But, we do need to keep in mind that sometimes things happen for reasons that we, mere mortals, do not understand. I too have continued to ponder this Magee trade, and what I finally spotted late last night is that Magee has been very carefully positioned to secure the Supporter's Shield for the Galaxy this season!!!! Yes, after Portland and RSL tie this weekend (certainly a possible, if not likely result), the Galaxy will win out and grab 1st in the west. Turning eyes to the east, the Galaxy will then need SKC and NYRB to drop points. Not sure which game it will be, but SKC will bungle their DC United or Philly game since that's what all teams do this season, leaving only NYRB, who after dispensing with Houston this weekend will go head-to-head in the season finale with Chicago and Magee.

I don't want to give Bruce too much credit, but no doubt he studied the schedule and figured this all way back when, and dispatched Magee on this very critical and highly confidential assignment, Operation Derail NYRB's Shield Run. Well, it's a new theory, anyway..... :cool:

UcIceD2011, rokstedy, Grok and 3 others repped this.
  11. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agreed and its a shame because he could help this team with his versatility and experience. I suspect Rogers passed up a bit of money on deals which no doubt Chicago and Seattle would have offered for a paltry $90,000. Galaxy gained by clearing up cap space which can go along ways towards acquiring others.

The loser in all of this would be R Rogers because he lacks the support of the FO obviously and now this looks more like a Galaxy publicity stunt than a serious move.

Magee is the big winner in all of this because he gets to play in his natural position and in front of his home town crowd.

Missionary repped this.
  12. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The only way this whole thing turns out good for us is if we win the Cup again anyway. All will be forgiven.

Dawdler and Topper repped this.
  13. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And then we can cut him.

Topper repped this.
  14. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree. Not really fair to talk the lad out of retirement and then not back him up.

15. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I missed something. What are you guys talking about when you say that "obviously" the FO has not supported Rogers?

16. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had time to make a mock "MLS cup playoff" on FIFA 14 and Robbie Rogers scored the winning goal in the Championship game.... I thought to myself that will NEVER happen... not the rogers scoring part though, I set it up wrong and was playing SEA in the final. :)

17. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Last time RR was ready to come back from an injury they issued a press release. He was supposed to be ready by the MTL game but now it's complete silence. I wonder if he's been airlifted to the same undisclosed secret location where they're keeping Cudicini?!?

18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only an employee or family member of Robbie Rogers could possibly place the blame for his mediocrity and injures on the Galaxy FO and see Robbie Rogers as the victim here.

Dude did not deliver. Not even close. That is on him.

Topper, The Cadaver and Beakmon FC repped this.
  19. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The kid gets injured and he does ot even make the 18? . My view was he was steadily improving as he got his games under him. He got injured and the rug was pulled. If a team backs up its player it does not do that. Not even close. I do not have to be an employee or family member to figure that one out.

20. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question: what did the FO do to make you feel that the "rug was pulled" on Rogers? Are they not having trainers work to rehab him? How is the FO not backing him up?

21. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't think that's quite the way it happened. Rogers joined the team and after his first match LA went into a slump where they only won 1 of their next 6 games, and that one win was against Chivas. Rogers first major appearance was in a loss against the freaking Railhawks, followed by our infamous 0-5 shellacking by New England.

Even when it was obvious he was not producing he was still moved into a starting position until he got injured. Then when he came back he was again moved into a starting position, where again he sucked and was benched for poor performance. He then again was put in a starting position and got injured again.

Only thing he's done since then was make an appearance in a reserve match against Chivas, and Jimenez and Villareal were the stars of that show while Zardes was busy tearing up their first team.

At this point I think Rogers has just become a huge embarrassment for the Galaxy. I mean, go onto mlssoccer.com and look at the comments to any article featuring Rogers. The dude is a laughingstock. The Galaxy finally seems to have a team that is clicking on all levels and making a run at the SS. I think at this point the Galaxy would be happy if Rogers would just quietly go away.

22. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    The reserve league season is over. If we see Rogers again this season, it will be in the upcoming CCL game, which is a de facto reserve game because of our victories thus far and the fixture congestion and travel involved.

23. Grok

Grok Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good point. I bet he makes the CCL travel squad next week. I don't expect we'll see him suit up for the SJ game this weekend.

24. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please explain the rug being pulled out from under him comment. Seriously. As I understand it, Robbie has had his medical care taken care of, is getting a salary, and an opportunity to train when his health permitted. What more support do you expect??? You want him in the 18 when he's hurt? You want him in the 18 when he's not fit and ready to contribute? Look, he was even one of the featured players on the scoreboard "thank you fans" video feature. What more do you expect from the team? You keep dropping these veiled comments about a lack of support, but please back those up with some facts. Maybe even ONE fact! Right now, your credibility is zero.

25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if there's anyone to blame for RR's crappy injury/recovery situation. I'm sure he wants to play and I'm sure the FO wants him to play.

generaladmissision18, Berks and ragbone repped this.